BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned at the lack of responses? Lol
Lol I'm thinking people don't appreciate abstract art like you and i... (kidding of course)

I'll look over it in a bit and let you know what I think.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I'm thinking people don't appreciate abstract art like you and i... (kidding of course)

I'll look over it in a bit and let you know what I think.

sounds good. And thanks my guy. It’s very rough but gives my general idea

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned at the lack of responses? Lol
Extremely disconcerting. Everyone is worried;)

Returns are going over the top, and through the edge of a eurobrace?

Is 2 completely blocked from 1? I'd be concerned about microbubbles if not.

I prefer hard drains and soft returns, but only for return pump vibration back in the day when I wasn't running a dc pump, not sure why I still do it other than habit.

Can you add arrows to show flow through sump? That might help.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely disconcerting. Everyone is worried;)

Returns are going over the top, and through the edge of a eurobrace?

Is 2 completely blocked from 1? I'd be concerned about microbubbles if not.

I prefer hard drains and soft returns, but only for return pump vibration back in the day when I wasn't running a dc pump, not sure why I still do it other than habit.

Can you add arrows to show flow through sump? That might help.

there are 4 holes in the euro brace. I’m planning on making some sort of screen between the return pump (enclosing it) which will hopefully eliminate micro bubbles. I don’t have the drawing anymore but water flows through 1 (from both sides of the sump), into the section which will house rock and then into the return

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 4 holes in the bottom of the tank? Are the drains and returns both supposed to go through them?
This is a 120 right?
As drawn your returns are overkill. Bring two pipes over the side and split them into 4 in the tank with loc line.
4 drains is fine but why do you take them to each end of the sump

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I’ll be running dc return pumps. Got a vectra for now. May end up upgrading down the road if needed

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 4 holes in the bottom of the tank? Are the drains and returns both supposed to go through them?
This is a 120 right?
As drawn your returns are overkill. Bring two pipes over the side and split them into 4 in the tank with loc line.
4 drains is fine but why do you take them to each end of the sump

yeah, it’s an oceanic so the return section is in the middle. 4 holes (2 for drain, 2 for return). I drew the drains going to the the sides because I am contemplating having my return pump in the center to reduce the need for bends and thus increase head height. I didn’t know if it would be feasible to just have two return pipes hence the four. But if I can swing it with just two that split at the end that’s even better

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be mistaken but thought I’d want some space between the drain output and the return.

for reference my sump is a 65g tote so no build in baffles

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, it’s an oceanic so the return section is in the middle. 4 holes (2 for drain, 2 for return). I drew the drains going to the the sides because I am contemplating having my return pump in the center to reduce the need for bends and thus increase head height. I didn’t know if it would be feasible to just have two return pipes hence the four. But if I can swing it with just two that split at the end that’s even better
Head height is quite literally the height from one water level to the other, Then there is resistance added do to length of pipe. You are adding it with 4 runs like that for returns

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will warn you. You are exhibiting the human "everything must be symmetrical and balanced' disease.
It is better to think in terms of function.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head height is quite literally the height from one water level to the other, Then there is resistance added do to length of pipe. You are adding it with 4 runs like that for returns

yeah, I know. This is my first attempt at creating plumbing for a tank. So im
Sure I’ve made other mistakes in this rough draft

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will warn you. You are exhibiting the human "everything must be symmetrical and balanced' disease.
It is better to think in terms of function.

honestly I wasn’t going for symmetry. More trying to map out what I thought would be best as far as function.

I now realize I’ve achieved the opposite lol

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this tub smooth inside and flat. My stock tank isnt so it has no baffles. I am thinking a standing divider down the middle with two legs enclosing the return pump giving you a return section
Think the shape of an F with the top 2 short legs going to the side and the pump sitting in the middle.
If you rough up the plastic with some sandpaper you should be able to glue to it with epoxy and it will hold.
You could make the divider out of PVC plank or plexi.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gph is your return pump? What diameter pipe for drain and return? Two return pipes should be fine for a 120 with a y split inside the tank, unless you are planning on most of your flow to come from your return vs powerheads. Just different ways of achieving the same goal lol

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this
smo.png

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gph is your return pump? What diameter pipe for drain and return? Two return pipes should be fine for a 120 with a y split inside the tank, unless you are planning on most of your flow to come from your return vs powerheads. Just different ways of achieving the same goal lol

pump is 2000gph
Return and drain holes both fit 1” bulkheads

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this tub smooth inside and flat. My stock tank isnt so it has no baffles. I am thinking a standing divider down the middle with two legs enclosing the return pump giving you a return section
Think the shape of an F with the top 2 short legs going to the side and the pump sitting in the middle.
If you rough up the plastic with some sandpaper you should be able to glue to it with epoxy and it will hold.
You could make the divider out of PVC plank or plexi.

the sides are not flat. I need to check on the bottom but I suspect it’s textured. I shall report on that soon

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this
smo.png

heres the interior of the tote. I’m thinking I could do something with the grooves on the bottom since it’s in a grid. Don’t know about the sides

Attachments

• F0C37A64-798D-49D1-A318-7ADB96EAA78A.jpeg
    F0C37A64-798D-49D1-A318-7ADB96EAA78A.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 21

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pump is 2000gph
Return and drain holes both fit 1” bulkheads
I think your 4 drains might be way overkill for your pump, are you going bean animal with a restricted full siphon, two trickles and one emergency? And that size return pump I'd definitely go two over 4 returns.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your 4 drains might be way overkill for your pump, are you going bean animal with a restricted full siphon, two trickles and one emergency? And that size return pump I'd definitely go two over 4 returns.

I believe so as far as your question for the drains. I actually have been tempted to do just 2 returns

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back