OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the great scheme of things it all depends on how much flow through you want and the size of the holes. I have a tank with one hole for a drain. I put only small flow down it. The bigger ones have more holes that are bigger for more flow.
You get a feel for it.

i dont have a specific number for turnover. I’m really more thinking spread it out through two nozzles/outlets. Hoping I can get a little more flow than having a single line. both holes that are drilled in the tank are right around 1” for pipe. If I do go with my over the back return idea, im not constrained to any size beyond what the drains can handle.

im tired and drove 6 hours today so if the above doesn’t make sense please tell me lol

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im Assuming the cruz of my idea will be what flow the dra8 s can handle with regards to limiting the return output.

is There any reasonable way for the layperson to calculate this? Or must you be a mathematician?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds about right with a little extra to be safe. I had 2 x 1 inch drains on the 75. I use one on tanks under 30 gallons. 180 has 2 x 1.25, 240 has 4 x 1.5.
It's not an exact science for me.
I have never made a frag tank so I have no idea on the flow you need. I was using 1000gph simplicity pump on the 75

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im Assuming the cruz of my idea will be what flow the dra8 s can handle with regards to limiting the return output.

is There any reasonable way for the layperson to calculate this? Or must you be a mathematician?
I cheat and copy other peoples work
An ESHOPPES PF1200 overflow box has 2 x 1 inch drains
So when I drilled the 75 that is what I copied.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 holes in tank
Inside tank 2 street 90s in the bulkheads, one down and one up
Drill small hole in one down to let air OUT. Otherwise drain wont start. BAD. This is the full siphon drain with a valve in it.
Turn other up and stick a piece of PVC pipe in it, cut so it sets water level in the tank.
Done

The hole in the one turned down should be above the water when pump off and below it when on.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at overflow boxes for the flow I want and see how they are configured for drains.

and you thought it was hard

Oh this bad boy is drilled on the bottom. And it has no box. The Don gave me a good filter attachment for one of them. Probably going to do the classic candy-cane style attachment for the other drain.

seriously considering not going with any glue in weirs either. But we’ll see

Funny thing is I’ve never had a frag tank either Lol (obviously). But I’m hoping to get flow ver as much of the tank as possible. Not necessarily crazy high flow. But enough so nothing is stagnant at least.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 holes in tank
Inside tank 2 street 90s in the bulkheads, one down and one up
Drill small hole in one down to let air OUT. Otherwise drain wont start. BAD. This is the full siphon drain with a valve in it.
Turn other up and stick a piece of PVC pipe in it, cut so it sets water level in the tank.
Done

thank you! This helps

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hole in bottom is the same
one very short one and one tall one. Valve in the short line only.
Strainers seem like a good idea but they really cut down the volume a pipe can handle and they plug easily.

thing I’m worried about is snails. But then I could glue weirs in….

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thing I’m worried about is snails. But then I could glue weirs in….
I have had a snail in a drain once. It caught at the valve that was partly closed so the shell wouldn't pass.
Unless you cover the weir they will go right over it.
i-npDzcGL-M.jpg

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fun and learn. I hate all the stress this gives people.

believe it or not I actually love this part of it. Something about it being my own and…well I know you know what I mean.

not going to lie I stressed this stuff for a while. But now? I get to fail at reef keeping. Most don’t get to even try LOL

not that I think I’ll fail. But again, you know lol

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a snail in a drain once. It caught at the valve that was partly closed so the shell wouldn't pass.
Unless you cover the weir they will go right over it.
i-npDzcGL-M.jpg

it’ll be covered if I go that route. Already decided all overflows will be covered.

and I do remember you mentioning snails in drains in your build. That’s actually what made me take it seriously lol

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’ll be covered if I go that route. Already decided all overflows will be covered.

and I do remember you mentioning snails in drains in your build. That’s actually what made me take it seriously lol
Now I get ones that don't get huge and don't worry about it.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Failing or your stuff all dying is always in the back of your mind. If you dont play you cant win.
Sometimes you do everything exactly right and you still lose.
Such is the life of humans.
Indeed. And there is no permanence. Thus even in success there are lessons to learn.

and If I’m nothing else, it’s an eternal student
Now I get ones that don't get huge and don't worry about it.

What are your favorites? Haven’t had much but I’ve had good luck with margaritas, ceriths, and a lone trochus.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back