0   0   0
Happy Anniversary GIF by Sesame Street

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a shed. I want so many different tanks thanks to you all.

macro tank. Nem tank. Fowlr.
Macro tank can be used in place of FOWLR. Or that is where you put all the poisonous fish.

That is what i do lol. Up to 12 scorps, a pinfish, lawnmower blenny, vtail grouper, panther grouper and a rusty angel.

I mean, look at this cute couple.

IMG_7123.JPG

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro tank can be used in place of FOWLR. Or that is where you put all the poisonous fish.

That is what i do lol. Up to 12 scorps, a pinfish, lawnmower blenny, vtail grouper, panther grouper and a rusty angel.

I mean, look at this cute couple.

IMG_7123.JPG

I’m dreaming of a macro tank with maybe some zoas and a dwarf lion, scorpion, etc. that or a macro tank with pipes and some interesting inverts.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some more example of the weird “philosophical” thinking I do in this hobby. Heck in life.

I’ll be honest. This build has been frustrating. Lesson in patience beyond any shadow of doubt. It is not inexpensive. Yes, you can reef inexpensively compared to what some do with their tanks. But getting started still isn’t cheap.

and that’s frustrating. Because I’ve been passionate about this hobby since I decided to dive in. And I’ve wanted to have my tank up and running two years ago. Biggest holdup? Yeah, money.

realized something though. Being forced to take 2 years to build my first system has been the best thing that has happened to me as a marine aquarist (yeah, that’s what we are. We go to lengths that outsiders would call absurd for our hobby, might as well snag some dignity since we gotta be biologists, chemists, plumbers, carpenters, engineers, and now programmers to keep a reef LOL)

Here’s the thing my buddies who will see this will roll their eyes at my fellow newbies: this hobby takes time. A frag takes time to grow out and fill in a tank. The chemistry takes time. The biology down to the microbial level takes time. Heck, fish getting used to their new domains takes time.

take heed fellow new salts: when we are building out a new system, we are investing in long term success. Good things don’t happen fast in reef keeping. That’s been what I keep telling myself when I get frustrated. But it’s true!!!

if you really mean you want to grow out a reef, that’s going to take months, even years. So we don’t want something thrown together in two days. We want to think in terms of years as far as how our reef will mature. So we owe it to our critters to be careful and considering with our builds. At least if it’s the first. I’m told once you have done it for a while it becomes pretty quick ;)

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some more example of the weird “philosophical” thinking I do in this hobby. Heck in life.

I’ll be honest. This build has been frustrating. Lesson in patience beyond any shadow of doubt. It is not inexpensive. Yes, you can reef inexpensively compared to what some do with their tanks. But getting started still isn’t cheap.

and that’s frustrating. Because I’ve been passionate about this hobby since I decided to dive in. And I’ve wanted to have my tank up and running two years ago. Biggest holdup? Yeah, money.

realized something though. Being forced to take 2 years to build my first system has been the best thing that has happened to me as a marine aquarist (yeah, that’s what we are. We go to lengths that outsiders would call absurd for our hobby, might as well snag some dignity since we gotta be biologists, chemists, plumbers, carpenters, engineers, and now programmers to keep a reef LOL)

Here’s the thing my buddies who will see this will roll their eyes at my fellow newbies: this hobby takes time. A frag takes time to grow out and fill in a tank. The chemistry takes time. The biology down to the microbial level takes time. Heck, fish getting used to their new domains takes time.

take heed fellow new salts: when we are building out a new system, we are investing in long term success. Good things don’t happen fast in reef keeping. That’s been what I keep telling myself when I get frustrated. But it’s true!!!

if you really mean you want to grow out a reef, that’s going to take months, even years. So we don’t want something thrown together in two days. We want to think in terms of years as far as how our reef will mature. So we owe it to our critters to be careful and considering with our builds. At least if it’s the first. I’m told once you have done it for a while it becomes pretty quick ;)
Jack of all trades and definitely master of none. Took two years before I even bought my 1st piece of equipment. 2 years more, tons of money later and still learning everyday but as we all hope/pray in the end its worth it!

And we get to meet so many cool people :cool:

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jack of all trades and definitely master of none. Took two years before I even bought my 1st piece of equipment. 2 years more, tons of money later and still learning everyday but as we all hope/pray in the end its worth it!

And we get to meet so many cool people :cool:

took me two months to start buying mine. Fortunately some of what I got still fits my plan now. Ie. The gyres, the reef octo skimmer (although that may end up being my backup. It’s footprint is massive and takes up a ton of space in my sump.)

Wish I would have waited to buy like you though. I have a store bought sump which is nice but not at all what I now know I want in a sump. So that was $350 waisted lol. Then again, may use it with the 53g when I set it up for my kiddo.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day today.

got to hang out with some good reefers today. Happy surprise update for the build. But it’s not going to be ready until the end of Feb or so…

So we’ll let that update marinate for a while :cool: ;Joyful ;)

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve I have need of your brain!!

so I have the 6 bulb sunpower as you know. I also have new bulbs for it. I’m planning on trying to decipher the control so I can utilize its dimming feature.

i am confused about the bulbs. I have been told and read that they gotta be “broken in” for a certain amount of time before dimming. I have also been told that you don’t need to that. Which is true?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve I have need of your brain!!

so I have the 6 bulb sunpower as you know. I also have new bulbs for it. I’m planning on trying to decipher the control so I can utilize its dimming feature.

i am confused about the bulbs. I have been told and read that they gotta be “broken in” for a certain amount of time before dimming. I have also been told that you don’t need to that. Which is true?
In order to get the proper life out of the bulbs, they should be run for 50 hours before dimming.

I do this using a cheap fixture off of amazon and then moving over to the dimming fixture.

I wil say, I do not even use dimming anymore for T5. I just have them come on and go off, as I never really found any benefit for the dimming, outside of being able to extend the viewing time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back