Benepets vs reefroids for corals

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both and can't decide what is better. I am leaning towards reefroids...

whats everyone's opinion?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you notice much difference in the powder itself? I have never used benepets myself. I have a nano container of reef roids that will likely last me years :)

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Reefroids for about a year but fed very little due to nitrate/phosphate issues. I happened to pick up some Benepets and started using that. The goal was to get 2 heads of Blasto that I had for over 2 years to grow. I started the Benepets and got one head and, as of yesterday, I've got 3 tiny ones growing. Please keep in mind that my water quality has gotten better. I still feed the same amount (2x week) but I've seem more blasto growth. I may well be the better water quality did it but when I'm out of Benepets, I'll buy more.

SJ Blane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The particle size of Benepets is larger. I had to drill a larger hole in my feeding device in order to spot feed it. The smell of Benepets is quite pungent compared to Reefroids (a more "natural" aroma?) I think that they are both great but I've switched to Benepets to see how coral growth changes.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used Reef Roids, so I can't speak to that product. But I don't really like Benereef. The average particle size is pretty large and chunky, it's dense and heavy, doesn't remain in suspension, and has some ingredients I don't think should be in a reef food. I prefer a mix of GP diets, as many phytoplankton species as possible, diatoms (shout out to Reed mariculture), copepods and copepod nauplii, and rotifers.

Last edited:

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Reefroids for about a year but fed very little due to nitrate/phosphate issues. I happened to pick up some Benepets and started using that. The goal was to get 2 heads of Blasto that I had for over 2 years to grow. I started the Benepets and got one head and, as of yesterday, I've got 3 tiny ones growing. Please keep in mind that my water quality has gotten better. I still feed the same amount (2x week) but I've seem more blasto growth. I may well be the better water quality did it but when I'm out of Benepets, I'll buy more.
Do you still use this product and have noticed any difference compared to reef roids?

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a video where the TSA guys are saying Benepets actually lowered their phosphate level instead of raising it? Has anyone had the same experience?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benereef doesn't spike phosphate like Reef Roids does.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's the evidence?
It's the whole point of the product, to feed corals without raising nutrients, check out their site. I use it regularly and can attest to the fact that it does not raise po4 like Reef Roids does. SBB corals uses it to lower po4, check out his high end tenius hoarder thread.

Frag Farm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both and can't decide what is better. I am leaning towards reefroids...

whats everyone's opinion?
At our shop we have multiple 300+ gallon tanks and we swear by reefroids. You can totally see a difference in the vibrance of the color as well as the growth rate of the coral. Make sure you do not over feed when using reef roids, however.

emmysnewtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At our shop we have multiple 300+ gallon tanks and we swear by reefroids. You can totally see a difference in the vibrance of the color as well as the growth rate of the coral. Make sure you do not over feed when using reef roids, however.

Assuming with that scale you guys broadcast feed the RR? I'm starting with target feeding, but that's nano tank. any real difference between broadcast and target in the results?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank always registers near zero, when i feel like I see negative effects from it I'll use reef roids for a bit to raise the nutrients in the tank. Aside from reef roids I like to use the brightwell powder products. I like that it's not a one size fits all approach since I am acropora dominant and don't need the larger granule sizes. I found brightwell to be similar to benepets in not elevating nutrients when feeding a few times a week.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to target feed but my peppermint shrimp would go from coral to coral stealing food so now only broadcast. About twice a week I mix some oysters eggs, benepets, reefroids, with the mysis everyone enjoys it.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only ever used Benepets for coral food so I can't really answer the question. All I can do is relate that I have never witnessed a nutrient spice associated with using it. I spot feed once a week or so, usually on WC day when the level is down and all the pumps and stuff are off. I also add about half a teaspoon or so to my frozen food solution for some broadcast feeding at mealtime.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the core difference is benepets lowers po4 while reef roids raises it. Depending on the system one or both can be beneficial. I just bought some benepets for my nano and I test regularly. I will update results here if I remember.

Back