Benggai cardinalfish fry

villmets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My benggai cardinalfish have bred several times in the past and i have successfully caught the fry and kept them alive with a few casualties. This time I decided to capture the mail with the mouth brooding still in play,. As they have grown he has let several out of his mouth-i suspect because of the tight space. they are fully formed teenie tiny fish with the pink yolk sac attached. there are maybe 15 of them on the bottom of the quarentine box. My question is--has anyone ever tried to keep them alive when they are so tiny...notmally they come out of his mouth quite a bit larger. I blended up some plankton shot it in the box and they did react. I am not having any luck hatching brine shrimp eggs--i think my container of eggs is too old...
I have attached a couple of pics--the babies are attached to the pink yold sacs--you can barely see them as they are so time..but they are there and do try and swim a bit...

thoughts?

benggai.jpg benggai2.jpg

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they still have egg sack attached they were released too early and I doubt will make it. Maybe if they were in an egg tumbler. I've seen them release when being caught but the one time I caught mine while he was holding he didn't release any until it was time. Definitely get some fresh brine shrimp eggs but I don't think they will eat anything while they still have their yolks attached.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes suould be fine, they don't need feed until a couple days after the yolk is absorbed. Its common for them to lay 50-60 eggs per spawn and most end up with only 20-30 babies. I have seen males spit out 1 or 2 eggs a day from around day 10 on. I only have about 50% of those eggs survive, after they hatch most have done well for me. I have successfully raise them feeding only TDO B pellets from Reef Nutrition. If I supplement with Brine shrimp its only for about the first 7-10 days and then only last feeding of the day before lights go out.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back