Benthic sharks with urchins?

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for LR yes it wld definitely be very cool but u want to as well make sure that the HSC have enough room to move around and from my experience if the rock is not secure they will rearrange it in a not so pretty way so if ur planning on doing HSCs than make sure ur committed if u are than I suggest using LR glue and gluing it to the bottom glass of the tank
Gluing isnt neccessary. They arent bulldozers, nor would i reccomend gluing rock to the bottom. The tank is huge it wont hurt anything. And as for the 6 posts in a row earlier it just clutters peoples thread. Just my opinion.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime they do happen to be bulldozers especially when they bury themselves under the sand

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gluing isnt neccessary. They arent bulldozers, nor would i reccomend gluing rock to the bottom. The tank is huge it wont hurt anything. And as for the 6 posts in a row earlier it just clutters peoples thread. Just my opinion.
Sry it's just that I like to individually answer posts it just helps me think

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to let u know I've kept abt 10 HSCs from small babies that I found in tide-pools to young adults where I had no room to keep them so I let them go

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions tho what's the dimensions of the tank and how many are you planning on keeping

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Horse shoe crabs are hard to keep? They thrive in dirty stinky smelly trash infested water off the ny coast by my house and they love it lol to be honest, i dont even think microfauna could even live on the beach near my house its so rancid. It prob has to do with water temp, i think theyll be a great addition with sharks.

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@meir why do you post so many comments in a row? Lol

On the side of live rock...gonna be tons of nitrates in this tank lol i think it will be helpful... givin the dimensions it could be cool to have an island of in in middle. Be a little happy home for the urchins
Yeah I was thinking this would be a nitrate producing tank to end all nitrate producing tanks. I'm gonna have 3/4ths of a ton of live rock, (please don't talk to me about cost, it makes me want to cry x.x), and I think that should help. A sump/refugium full of chaeto will be happening too.
Why not it gives me time to think my answer over while answering other Qs
makes sense, but definitely makes the thread a LOOOOOOT longer lol
As for LR yes it wld definitely be very cool but u want to as well make sure that the HSC have enough room to move around and from my experience if the rock is not secure they will rearrange it in a not so pretty way so if ur planning on doing HSCs than make sure ur committed if u are than I suggest using LR glue and gluing it to the bottom glass of the tank
Yeah. Sharks too can rearrange it a little bit, so I will need to glue it yes.
Yes u can over a period of say a week or two even less acclimate them to a higher temp. I find it easier to catch juveniles and raise them they seem to be hardier
Yeah the study I read actually says that the eggs actually hatch fastest in 95 Fahrenheit waters! But anyway, they say from the the larvae are less durable, but still plenty more durable than adults. Liveaquria sells that at 1"-2" so I think that might be small enough if I drip acclimate them.
Tbh I found it very hard to kill my HSC not that I tried but thru tank flukes and tank breaks it survived and not to mention it was wild caught
It survived 1 year right? Pretty good feat, though they do technically have a 20-40 year lifespan.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont mind my askimg, the cost of live rock there will be substantial as you mention. Why not use a majority dry. May need the tank to cycle longer but a few grand sounds worth it lol. All jokes aside live or dead rock this is no cheap easy tank. I believe you started a build thread if i am not mistaken. This will be spectacular. So hurry up i need some excitment.

Where are you located? State wise

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking this would be a nitrate producing tank to end all nitrate producing tanks. I'm gonna have 3/4ths of a ton of live rock, (please don't talk to me about cost, it makes me want to cry x.x), and I think that should help. A sump/refugium full of chaeto will be happening too.
U don't have to do live rock u can buy dead rock with a bottle of one and only by dr Tim
makes sense, but definitely makes the thread a LOOOOOOT longer lol
Oh well[emoji23]
Yeah. Sharks too can rearrange it a little bit, so I will need to glue it yes.
It's definitely a good idea
Yeah the study I read actually says that the eggs actually hatch fastest in 95 Fahrenheit waters! But anyway, they say from the the larvae are less durable, but still plenty more durable than adults. Liveaquria sells that at 1"-2" so I think that might be small enough if I drip acclimate them. I didn't catch eggs but babies at abt 1/2 centimeter

It survived 1 year right? Pretty good feat, though they do technically have a 20-40 year lifespan.
No they didn't die after one year I just let them go they outgrew my system

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sry each answer is at the end of ur original post

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horse shoe crabs are hard to keep? They thrive in dirty stinky smelly trash infested water off the ny coast by my house and they love it lol to be honest, i dont even think microfauna could even live on the beach near my house its so rancid. It prob has to do with water temp, i think theyll be a great addition with sharks.
I see, that's good to know.

But yes, horse shoe crabs are notorious for being hard to keep in captivity because people tend to get cold water crabs and drop them into warm water and expect them to live.

If you dont mind my askimg, the cost of live rock there will be substantial as you mention. Why not use a majority dry. May need the tank to cycle longer but a few grand sounds worth it lol. All jokes aside live or dead rock this is no cheap easy tank. I believe you started a build thread if i am not mistaken. This will be spectacular. So hurry up i need some excitment.

Where are you located? State wise
Oregon, unfortunately. No option to dive for live rock or anything, as all the rock here is dense and not porous enougj, plus the water is too cold for the microfauna to survive going into warm water.

That and the added risk of running into an orca or a great white makes it a little riskier to dive here. The whites that come by, though usually not seen, tend to be 5meters+

Would there be any other way for me to obtain liverock locally?

No they didn't die after one year I just let them go they outgrew my system
That's good to know. Means I can actually keep them without worrying.

Questions tho what's the dimensions of the tank and how many are you planning on keeping
I intend it to be 4' tall, 4' wide, and 8' long, though I might change that to 3.5' tall and 12' long.

I would probably keep one or at max two horseshoe crabs in the tank. If, of course, I decided to keep some of them. They're particularly messy x.x

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree there's quite a bit of clutter. He must be a horseshoe crab! ;P
Jk, jk!
But yeah, I'm not sure if it's necessary to glue the rock to the bottom so much as it is necessary to glue the rocks together in the shape/pattern I want them, because if they topple they would definitely kill something.

I do, however, hear queen conches are bulldozers. And I was planning to add one to my tank...

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, that's good to know.

But yes, horse shoe crabs are notorious for being hard to keep in captivity because people tend to get cold water crabs and drop them into warm water and expect them to live.

Oregon, unfortunately. No option to dive for live rock or anything, as all the rock here is dense and not porous enougj, plus the water is too cold for the microfauna to survive going into warm water.

That and the added risk of running into an orca or a great white makes it a little riskier to dive here. The whites that come by, though usually not seen, tend to be 5meters+

Would there be any other way for me to obtain liverock locally?

That's good to know. Means I can actually keep them without worrying.

I intend it to be 4' tall, 4' wide, and 8' long, though I might change that to 3.5' tall and 12' long.

I would probably keep one or at max two horseshoe crabs in the tank. If, of course, I decided to keep some of them. They're particularly messy x.x
That is true if there is a huge temp change it will shock the HSC so it's better to test the temp of the ur ocean's water if u r gonna do WC and make the water the same temp where u are acclimating them and slowly raise it

Any pet shop Shld carry dry rock

If you go slow then yes you don't rly have to worry as long as u keep an eye on them also they don't contract disease or internal parasites due to their blue blood which automatically clots around any foreign organisms killing it

That Shld be enough for two for a while

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree there's quite a bit of clutter. He must be a horseshoe crab! ;P
Jk, jk!
But yeah, I'm not sure if it's necessary to glue the rock to the bottom so much as it is necessary to glue the rocks together in the shape/pattern I want them, because if they topple they would definitely kill something.

I do, however, hear queen conches are bulldozers. And I was planning to add one to my tank...
I'm not sure if u realize but HSCs dig under the sand take it from my experience they dug under the sand around the rock and toppled it so yes it's advisable to glue unless u don't mind picking the rock up or letting I'd just go where the HSC moves it but if u decide to go with the latter one then be careful that the rock doesn't hot the glass

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if u realize but HSCs dig under the sand take it from my experience they dug under the sand around the rock and toppled it so yes it's advisable to glue unless u don't mind picking the rock up or letting I'd just go where the HSC moves it but if u decide to go with the latter one then be careful that the rock doesn't hot the glass
I do realize it. You simply need to get pieces that don't need support from the sand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back