Best additional pump for wave action?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 Nanostream 6095's pushing water in a figure-8 in my 48" x 18" x 18" 65g tank.

In order to get more even, thorough, and natural water motion throughout the entire tank, I'm thinking of adding a 3rd pump to create an underlying resonant wave as well.

Would a 6028 Wavebox be appropriate for the tank size?

Or do you think it would be overkill and I'd be better off using a third Nanostream pump to create the underlying wave motion?

Any thoughts, suggestions or insights would be much appreciated.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 6095's on the back wall of my 120.
They point to the middle and pulse on and off every 5 seconds.
I have 2 jebao ow25's on each end one pointing straight across and one pointing towards the surface pulsing every 15 seconds.
Will replace the jebaos when they die with 2 6005's. May be awhile though.
Plenty of flow.
Tank is 3.5 months old and 30+ corals all growing.
20191012_123441.jpg

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you want out of wave action. What do you want out of wave action? :D

OP
OP
malacoda

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you want out of wave action. What do you want out of wave action? :D

An underlying resonant wave in addition to the existing flow.

This is my current set-up (48" x 18" x18"):

flow.png

The 6095s are set to pulse inverse to one another. And the flow pattern forms a figure 8 around the rockwork.

Of course, as it gets further from the pumps and bounces/curves off the far walls, the flow weakens. So, while there is a fair amount of flow in the corners, it's much lower flow than the center.

My thought for adding a 3rd pump, or wavebox, is to create an underlying resonant wave in addition to the figure-8 flow. Two reasons:

1) I'd like to ensure my SPS are getting constant motion from several directions: E.g. a constant gentle back-and-forth in addition to the unidirectional pulse from the figure-8 flow.

2) To further aid in keeping and detritus near the sides, and back corners of the tank - where the figure 8-flow is weakest - suspended in the water column so the weakened figure-8 flow can more effectively sweep it up and into the coast-to-coast overflow.

Anyone have experience/insight as to whether a 6098 would work well for this? Or would it be overkill ... and use of a smaller, third nanostream pump better suited for it?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy the biggest one of these

that model may be new or old, not sure.
Generally, for a wave to be substantial at all, you need to move a lot of water. So the bigger the pump, the more options you have. I would play with placement and power and see if you can make what you are looking for, and then replace the inexpensive pump with something else later. To create a wave you are also going to have to move the surface of the water, so make sure you have the space above the water line to do that. If you put a wave pump low, you don't really get a wave, more just like a cycling pump, and the overall throw of the plume won't be much. That said you should totally try it low. :D

Each tank is different, so each wave is going to be different, so I would set aside some time over a week or two to play and expirement.

You could also buy 2 more 6095 (I have never used this pump, but you do so it should be fine) and have them push the opposite ways that the existing pumps push. Then you could control them to come off and on at different times to make lots of different flow combinations in all directions and reversing the gyre.

I love love love flow.

OP
OP
malacoda

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy the biggest one of these

that model may be new or old, not sure.
Generally, for a wave to be substantial at all, you need to move a lot of water. So the bigger the pump, the more options you have. I would play with placement and power and see if you can make what you are looking for, and then replace the inexpensive pump with something else later. To create a wave you are also going to have to move the surface of the water, so make sure you have the space above the water line to do that. If you put a wave pump low, you don't really get a wave, more just like a cycling pump, and the overall throw of the plume won't be much. That said you should totally try it low. :D

Each tank is different, so each wave is going to be different, so I would set aside some time over a week or two to play and expirement.

You could also buy 2 more 6095 (I have never used this pump, but you do so it should be fine) and have them push the opposite ways that the existing pumps push. Then you could control them to come off and on at different times to make lots of different flow combinations in all directions and reversing the gyre.

I love love love flow.

Some great ideas in here, thanks! You've really got mind working about all the different possibilities now. ;)

gerards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An underlying resonant wave in addition to the existing flow.

This is my current set-up (48" x 18" x18"):

flow.png

The 6095s are set to pulse inverse to one another. And the flow pattern forms a figure 8 around the rockwork.

Of course, as it gets further from the pumps and bounces/curves off the far walls, the flow weakens. So, while there is a fair amount of flow in the corners, it's much lower flow than the center.

My thought for adding a 3rd pump, or wavebox, is to create an underlying resonant wave in addition to the figure-8 flow. Two reasons:

1) I'd like to ensure my SPS are getting constant motion from several directions: E.g. a constant gentle back-and-forth in addition to the unidirectional pulse from the figure-8 flow.

2) To further aid in keeping and detritus near the sides, and back corners of the tank - where the figure 8-flow is weakest - suspended in the water column so the weakened figure-8 flow can more effectively sweep it up and into the coast-to-coast overflow.

Anyone have experience/insight as to whether a 6098 would work well for this? Or would it be overkill ... and use of a smaller, third nanostream pump better suited for it?

A 6208 is what you are looking for. I ran one on my previous 55gal tank with two 6095s.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back