Best algae eater for nano tank?

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions on something to put in my 16g biocube that will eat GHA.
I already have an army of colonista snails, an emerald crab, and a couple very small blue legged hermits.
Nobody seems to want to eat the GHA that is popping up.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found nothing in this world that will mow down a patch of algae quicker than a seas hare. The problem with them though is what to do with it once you have no alage...Returning him to the store for free might be an option, just know that before you buy it and have a understanding with the store owner.

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions on something to put in my 16g biocube that will eat GHA.
I already have an army of colonista snails, an emerald crab, and a couple very small blue legged hermits.
Nobody seems to want to eat the GHA that is popping up.
I have a trochus snail that puts in WORK. I have a 29g going thru ugly stage, and that snail eats just the right amount to keep my rocks clean but not too much that it starves. I only have the one.

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails in general - many people significantly under stock their snails.

In my opinion, hermits generally are really poor algae eaters.

I'd grab a turbo or two. Or a couple trochus snails.

Also a dozen or so ceriths.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try a tailspot blenny. There are plenty nof snails in there. Some cerith, few astrea, a topcrown, and a several hundred colonistas.

Thanks!

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the Turbo. It has it's con but for a few bucks easily one of the best GHA eater. Can always return or give away once algae is gone and nutrients stable and wouldn't lose.

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails in general - many people significantly under stock their snails.

There are plenty nof snails in there. Some cerith, few astrea, a topcrown, and a several hundred colonistas.

Point. Exactly. ;)

I can't speak to the effectiveness of collonista snails.

But if you ordered a 25g tank package from reefcleaners they would be providing you 24x dwarf cerith, 8 nassarius, 9 florida ceriths, 10 nerties.

So yeah, your tank is smaller. But that gives a sense of the scale of how many snails they would suggest. It largely also depends on where your tank is at in maturity and how clean everything is.

If you have a pile of dry rock just starting to grow hair algae, you probably have a decent amount of algae ahead of you. If your tank is old, covered in coraline, and generally low nutrient, you may not have much algae growth and don't need a ton of snails.

You can get a fish -- but then also take into account that by adding a fish you are filling up your small tank's fish capacity!

That said, do what works for you!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back