Best alternative to quarantine?

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I use to condition and treat fish BESIDES formalin and methalyne blue? What are the best options out there? I can not quarantine, dips and baths accepted as well.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never understood how someone can say they can't quarantine. You can quarantine in a 5 gallon bucket. Heck, a 5 gallon tank doesn't take up much more space than a toaster oven. I quarantine small fish in 2 1/2 gallons of water in a 3 gallon plastic tote from Lowes. I do TTM ever night for 14 days, with a couple rounds of Prazi and h202. Two weeks, takes up less than two square feet, and done.

Or you can pay big bucks and buy pre quarantined fish. There are a handful of places.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never understood how someone can say they can't quarantine. You can quarantine in a 5 gallon bucket. Heck, a 5 gallon tank doesn't take up much more space than a toaster oven. I quarantine small fish in 2 1/2 gallons of water in a 3 gallon plastic tote from Lowes. I do TTM ever night for 14 days, with a couple rounds of Prazi and h202. Two weeks, takes up less than two square feet, and done.

Or you can pay big bucks and buy pre quarantined fish. There are a handful of places.
My fish are over 4" big and they'll suffocate if left in there for over an hour even with an air stone :)

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the Drreefquarantined fish prices are competitive with fish stores. So for the money and the fact that they are also conditioned to aquarium life and eating this is a very good option
For that price I can save tons buying from other previous owners' fish that have been qtd and kept for 8+ months buddy, I am buying some fish from live aquaria that are not in the diver's den

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I have bought at least 1/2 of the fish in my tanks from other reefers breaking down systems. I like Live Aquaria but Drreef price is about the same on most fish and they are already QT'd. I would never add a LA fish to my system without QT

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am buying a couple fish from live aquaria and want to condition/treat them
Assume everything from live aquarium needs medicated quarantine ( or equivalent). Most of the time they will prove you right.

My original answer still applies.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume everything from live aquarium needs medicated quarantine ( or equivalent). Most of the time they will prove you right.

My original answer still applies.
This. Too many horror stories to even consider buying from them. I have bought from Dr reef with a great experience, it was my first time ever ordering fish online.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back