Best alternative to quarantine?

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read everything he's posted in-depth about his specific techniques (simply too many threads to delve into). You're probably correct in your assertion that he's closer to the extreme end of the "no quarantine" spectrum. I don't necessarily consider myself in no man's land - merely slightly off the beaten path. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
If I could’nt quarantine or buy quarantined fish. I would use a uv sterilizer and be very picky with what I buy as you have done. Seems like a decent compromise.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big difference from immunity from a virus, and immunity from a multicelled parasitic organism. A virus infects a cell by replicating a receptor to gain access. The body has multiple ways to make immunity to that. VERY different from a parasite attaching to and feeding off an animal. And that is why there are no vaccines for parasites, it is nowhere near the same thing and should not be compared. Misinformation spread by Paul B.
I stand by my analogy. There's more than a handful of "quarantined my fish and now half my tank is dead" threads on a daily basis, so quarantine is far from a copper bullet. I could also mention the decreased lifespan due to various treatments, but I digress.

I don't claim to have found my silver bullet, either - just that my method works for me.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could’nt quarantine or buy quarantined fish. I would use a uv sterilizer and be very picky with what I buy as you have done. Seems like a decent compromise.
I've bought quarantined fish in the past. That's how I ended up introducing a rare strain of velvet into my population... (so I'm not preaching from the soapbox so much as trying not to repeat previous disasters)

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you believe the ocean id pathogen free? Fish have immunity . I have always introduced ick into every tank I have ever owned, the only fish I worry about is the new one coming in until; I can get them eating well and used to my high current flow.
The ocean is not pathogen free, but it is hugely vast. As opposed to a tiny cube of water letting parasites reach plague proportions.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought quarantined fish in the past. That's how I ended up introducing a rare strain of velvet into my population... (so I'm not preaching from the soapbox so much as trying not to repeat previous disasters)
bought from where?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought from where?
Doesn't really matter - it was over a year ago, and the fish went through a full QT/copper/prazi/etc. treatment. Certain strains of velvet can be immune to copper treatments.

Nature evolves; no matter how hard you try, something invariably gets through. And without any natural immunity it's quite easy to have a tank wiped out.

Case A: 4 quarantined fish in 2 batches; 1/4 fish came through with an undetected case of velvet. 12+ fish dead. Sad fish.
Case B: 30+ wild-caught fish over 14 months. No QT. UV+supplements. No unexplained deaths or tank-wide outbreaks. Happy fish.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP, you can also buy captive bred fish. They are just about guaranteed parasite free unless they are exposed to a parasite in a facility after they leave biota or ora.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because I have an order from drreefsqtfish. I have 5 tangs and a moorish idol, ich or velvet would be completely devastating. Although 76 day quarantined captive bred mandarins seem to as low risk as you can get.
Doesn't really matter - it was over a year ago, and the fish went through a full QT/copper/prazi/etc. treatment. Certain strains of velvet can be immune to copper treatments.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that price I can save tons buying from other previous owners' fish that have been qtd and kept for 8+ months buddy, I am buying some fish from live aquaria that are not in the diver's den
thats great and all until somebodys fish brings dormant ich or velvet into your tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because I have an order from drreefsqtfish. I have 5 tangs and a moorish idol, ich or velvet would be completely devastating. Although 76 day quarantined captive bred mandarins seem to as low risk as you can get.
It wasn't anywhere in the US. I did add 3 tangs last week and one was part of a consignment from a local tank that was shutdown. We (the LFS and I) learned after the fact that one or more of the fish *may* (emphasis on may) have had ich.

The fish in question (white tail bristletooth tang) was fat, healthy and had zero signs of ich (or flukes, as we did a freshwater dip). It's more likely that the tang got dusty in the attempts to catch him and it was misinterpreted as ich.

I've had him for just under 2 weeks now and he and all the other fish are totally fine (including the two other wild-caught tangs). He's actually been toppling corals over to carve out his own den, so I'd say he's happy and then some.

Last edited:

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the op. Just listen to this guy and watch all your fish die. Go ahead and start with a blue tang while you’re at it.
Do you believe the ocean id pathogen free? Fish have immunity . I have always introduced ick into every tank I have ever owned, the only fish I worry about is the new one coming in until; I can get them eating well and used to my high current flow.

Last edited:

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big difference from immunity from a virus, and immunity from a multicelled parasitic organism. A virus infects a cell by replicating a receptor to gain access. The body has multiple ways to make immunity to that. VERY different from a parasite attaching to and feeding off an animal. And that is why there are no vaccines for parasites, it is nowhere near the same thing and should not be compared. Misinformation spread by Paul B.
@Mark Gray Care to elaborate on what you think is incorrect in this statement?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby a while, I know two years ago I bought a purple tang, now tangs are a hardy fish I know/ but I got this one from a Petco he was covered in Ick I got him for 15 dollars. Took him home threw him in the Display and feed him he ate black worms right away. I knew right then if I can get them eating they will most likely be ok. No I did get rid of this fish he became a bully after he recovered from ick. And I have never owned a UV sterilizer. The ocean is full of pathogens.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby a while, I know two years ago I bought a purple tang, now tangs are a hardy fish I know/ but I got this one from a Petco he was covered in Ick I got him for 15 dollars. Took him home threw him in the Display and feed him he ate black worms right away. I knew right then if I can get them eating they will most likely be ok. No I did get rid of this fish he became a bully after he recovered from ick. And I have never owned a UV sterilizer. The ocean is full of pathogens.
The concentration of ich in an aquarium is millions of times greater than in the ocean. That statement makes no sense.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ocean is full of pathogens is it just by chance that ick doesn't get them? I believe it's more immunity and the slime coat factor
ich does get them, thats how it is brought into our aquariums. It is quite a bit easier to live with encountering 1 ich per 100,000,000 gallons than swimming in an aquarium with hundreds to thousands of ich per gallon. That would be like getting stung by 1 bee vs an entire angry hive of bees. Very different outcomes.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well it's been working well for me for decades
Well I’ve put many fish with ich in my aquariums over decades and every single time it happened all the fish ended up dying if I didn’t treat them all and go fallow. Not quarantining them is my biggest fail in many years of reefing. And it doesn't feel good being responsible for all their deaths. I recommend the op doesn’t make the same mistake.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back