Best deals on Black Friday and what to expect this year

U

User1

View Badges
Physical disk storage...what data horder isn't these days. Oh, wrong forum.

Not really looking for anything tank/reef related to be honest. I am looking for 10 TB drives though so hoping WD does right this year :D

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not really looking for anything tank/reef related to be honest. I am looking for 10 TB drives though so hoping WD does right this year :D

I got some old 50gig huge scsi drives for sale . They work great as heaters and paper weights

U

User1

View Badges
I got some old 50gig huge scsi drives for sale . They work great as heaters and paper weights

Lol - you would be surprised what people find on older drives. I've seen some folks who purchase older drives similar to the storage units to see what they find. Crazy.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol - you would be surprised what people find on older drives. I've seen some folks who purchase older drives similar to the storage units to see what they find. Crazy.
Yep back in the pirate days.......
I always hammer mine before recycling.

U

User1

View Badges
Kinda boring but I want a backup return pump, this way if mine fails I have it to swap out.

Not boring - quality of life and spares. A good thing. I caught the Neptune Cor 20 on sale so picked it up as a backup to my Cor 15's.

Read a few posts here, few videos, and now I added it to the system so two returns running. Another way to do a backup. Should one fail I can replace at leisure and crank up the other to 100% and still maintain flow. Or I can take my skimmer pump offline (Cor 15) and replace failed pump and fix that way. Backup or redundancy is always a nice thing and BF's are a good time to look.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not boring - quality of life and spares. A good thing. I caught the Neptune Cor 20 on sale so picked it up as a backup to my Cor 15's.

Read a few posts here, few videos, and now I added it to the system so two returns running. Another way to do a backup. Should one fail I can replace at leisure and crank up the other to 100% and still maintain flow. Or I can take my skimmer pump offline (Cor 15) and replace failed pump and fix that way. Backup or redundancy is always a nice thing and BF's are a good time to look.
Lol a COR20 is what I’m planning to get to back up my COR 15. I figure it’s an easy swap out if there is an issue since the pumps are the same. This way I’ll have one that. An be used standalone if I have apex issues as well.

U

User1

View Badges
Lol a COR20 is what I’m planning to get to back up my COR 15. I figure it’s an easy swap out if there is an issue since the pumps are the same. This way I’ll have one that. An be used standalone if I have apex issues as well.

They are solid pumps and like you say easy to swap out regardless if a 15 or 20 model. Great idea!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Best Buy already has their 12tb up for BF at $179.99. 10tb is $199. Amazon was $106 for the 8tb yesterday if you had the Amazon CC.

U

User1

View Badges
Best Buy already has their 12tb up for BF at $179.99. 10tb is $199. Amazon was $106 for the 8tb yesterday if you had the Amazon CC.

Doh - missed that. I'll have to go look. 10 - 12 is what I'm after which provides enough growth and then allows me to move the 8's to another server for backups and decomm the 6s' I have or use as spares.

Thanks for the tip - will go check it out.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh - missed that. I'll have to go look. 10 - 12 is what I'm after which provides enough growth and then allows me to move the 8's to another server for backups and decomm the 6s' I have or use as spares.

Thanks for the tip - will go check it out.

The Best Buy BF ad is out so the $179 price is as low as it will go unless it hits google shopping or ebay when a coupon/cash back is available. I'm guessing we will see a flash sale on the 10tb in the next few weeks.

The Amazon deal is still available from what I read but the drive is on backorder.

I really don't understand what these people are doing with all this storage. Most of these guys are talking about having up to 100tb in storage and needing more. There can't be that many people running home movie studios !!! I guess they just can't hit the delete button.

U

User1

View Badges
The Best Buy BF ad is out so the $179 price is as low as it will go unless it hits google shopping or ebay when a coupon/cash back is available. I'm guessing we will see a flash sale on the 10tb in the next few weeks.

The Amazon deal is still available from what I read but the drive is on backorder.

I really don't understand what these people are doing with all this storage. Most of these guys are talking about having up to 100tb in storage and needing more. There can't be that many people running home movie studios !!! I guess they just can't hit the delete button.

Delete is not a option for data horders :)

J/K. No idea really. I have 48 TB and only 5 TB left free - go figure. Then again I backup all of my physical media (yes, I actually buy them) and use Plex as a media server. Plex also manages what physical music we have left (most is on iTunes now), home photos, videos, etc. It also is a backup DVR for TV which I use when I travel.

Everything is starting to blur now though with buying content online be it amazon, isp, hulu, or other so this may only have a few years left in my opinion. I'm not a video or audio file but I do enjoy physical media over streaming so that is why I personally do it. It is affordable buying most content used and new 4k when available.

Sorry to derail the thread - it really is all I'm looking for :)

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delete is not a option for data horders :)

J/K. No idea really. I have 48 TB and only 5 TB left free - go figure. Then again I backup all of my physical media (yes, I actually buy them) and use Plex as a media server. Plex also manages what physical music we have left (most is on iTunes now), home photos, videos, etc. It also is a backup DVR for TV which I use when I travel.

Everything is starting to blur now though with buying content online be it amazon, isp, hulu, or other so this may only have a few years left in my opinion. I'm not a video or audio file but I do enjoy physical media over streaming so that is why I personally do it. It is affordable buying most content used and new 4k when available.

Sorry to derail the thread - it really is all I'm looking for :)

I guess that is my issue. I don't watch tv really, I would much rather play a game on my PC. I've currently got a movie I've been trying to watch for 6 weeks now, just never have the time. Plus I find 90% of what is produced these days unwatchable. Also don't need it for the kids. I don't think our tv in the game room has been turned on in a few years. They watch 99% of their stuff on their phones/laptops. I'm also horrible about taking pics of the kids/family so need very little storage for that.

Oh, if you have Amex card, some have a $30 back on $300 purchase at Best Buy offer. That would get you $30 off if you bought 2 of the 12tb drives.

U

User1

View Badges
I guess that is my issue. I don't watch tv really, I would much rather play a game on my PC.

As long as you are not the horde that is ganking / camping me at this moment we are good (server: Bigglesworth) :)

Actually I do not game as much anymore. Mostly PS4 console such as uncharted, tomb raider, and a couple others. I was into GW2 until recently my son convinced me to try wow classic. At the moment too many @sshats for me to get anything done. I like open world PvP (former DaOC junkie) but not sure how this wow thing is working.

FPS are too fast for me - I can't react fast enough so stay away so I'm not a liability to my team...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back