Best dwarf angels

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which dwarf angelfish is safe for reeftank? I read that dwarf cherub is safe?

All are a gamble but some have better odds of success in reefs than others, The Cherubfish aka Pygmy Angel is one of these. There isn't truly any such thing as a Pygmy or Dwarf Angel that is reef safe though.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been a fan of the interruptus angle. They seem to look better with age which is a nice plus. IMO they’re the prettiest dwarf angle available. However they require cooler water than most systems are kept at.
C8AC2B59-1580-4271-9B7A-A12823ECDEE4.png

They are also one of the most expensive fish available in the hobby. Usually run about $2500 when they are in stock.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of it before. Where would I find that?

There are a bunch of spectacular hybrids. Solar Flare is cool, but the tigerpyge (bottom picture) is my personal favorite. Hybrid of lemon peel and eibli. Sometimes available, though quite variable in appearance and ALWAYS expensive. Thanks to,reef builders for the amazing pictures.

35254288-ABE4-4A41-8BA9-566B920307A5.jpeg
8869D87C-04DA-4C6F-A5C2-E9289ED90B57.jpeg
E16DB93E-745D-44C2-A326-6FECC159DD88.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a potters. He would not eat prepared or even live foods for two months? He finally started eating. I must have had plenty on the rock for him.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We could always say the black spot, centropyge nigriocella is the best. It is probably the rarest of the Dwarf angelfish, far more abei and peppermints have been offered for the hobby than the black spot.
blackspot-pygmy-angelfish-1-2.jpg
91DFCE0C-CE8F-4355-BB0F-F3CA741BC299.jpeg
Cabei_102719_1024x1024.jpg

You can get an Abei Right now from Among the Reef

Or the unobtainable hotumatua, resplendent or nahackyi, which once were somewhat common but now are not collected.
image_large.jpg
MKFFB0159_Centropyge_resplendens.jpg
4762_peGGMLkFW6.jpg

Those and the other 5 figure angelfishes that haven’t been mentioned, Narcosis and debelius. Worthy of consideration for the title of “best.” Richard Pyle’s story of how the narcosis got its name is among my favorite pieces of fish etymology.
centropyge-debelius-angelfish-8.jpg
th.jpg

Last edited:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob question. When you have fish only tank you don’t need to worry about level of all, cal, and mag? Meaning you don’t need to dose. Just maintain Salinity and husbandry?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob question. When you have fish only tank you don’t need to worry about level of all, cal, and mag? Meaning you don’t need to dose. Just maintain Salinity and husbandry?
Of course fish cannot just live in straight NaCl at the correct salinity because Natural sea water have everything imaginable in it. You cannot just get table salt and mix them at appropriate salinity and expect your FOWLR aquarium to do well. Trace element and trace toxicity need to be at appropriate level. However, almost any of the salt for sale today will have adequate level of these element so you don't have to worry about level or check them.

OP
OP
B

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon fish only tank, with a Flame, Lemon Peel, Coral Beauty, Flame Back, Multicolor and Bicolor. All were introduced at the same time with the exception of the Coral Beauty. They have been together for over a year now and get along with occasional bickering (nothing serious - I believe they challenge/reinforce the pecking order from time to time). Incredibly beautiful fish and some of my favorites in the tank. They are very active, great eaters and out all the time.
That’s a great list of dwarfs. I was hoping when the time comes to add all my dwarfs at the same time as well Do you have any other fish like tangs, anthias, wrasse or angels in there with the dwarf angels?

OP
OP
B

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a bunch of spectacular hybrids. Solar Flare is cool, but the tigerpyge (bottom picture) is my personal favorite. Hybrid of lemon peel and eibli. Sometimes available, though quite variable in appearance and ALWAYS expensive. Thanks to,reef builders for the amazing pictures.

35254288-ABE4-4A41-8BA9-566B920307A5.jpeg
8869D87C-04DA-4C6F-A5C2-E9289ED90B57.jpeg
E16DB93E-745D-44C2-A326-6FECC159DD88.jpeg
That Eibli looks amazing. What’s the other two above it?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Eibli looks amazing. What’s the other two above it?

Tigerpyge is a hybrid of lemonpeel and eibli. Last time one was available on DD it was over $1K.

The middle picture is a hybrid of venustus and multibar. Top I am not so sure, may be the same. Never seen ethe rone for sale though.

SMR45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great list of dwarfs. I was hoping when the time comes to add all my dwarfs at the same time as well Do you have any other fish like tangs, anthias, wrasse or angels in there with the dwarf angels?
Yes, I have three tangs: Naso, Mimic and Kole (introduced separately) along with two large Angels: Blue Ring and Magestic (introduced together). No anthias but I do have a yellow flanked wrasse and Watanabe angel. They have been together for quite a while now and all get along. Tank is about 9 years old with a good amount of rock.

OP
OP
B

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tigerpyge is a hybrid of lemonpeel and eibli. Last time one was available on DD it was over $1K.

The middle picture is a hybrid of venustus and multibar. Top I am not so sure, may be the same. Never seen ethe rone for sale though.
Wow. They’re some amazing looking fish. Are they on your wish list?

OP
OP
B

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have three tangs: Naso, Mimic and Kole (introduced separately) along with two large Angels: Blue Ring and Magestic (introduced together). No anthias but I do have a yellow flanked wrasse and Watanabe angel. They have been together for quite a while now and all get along. Tank is about 9 years old with a good amount of rock.
Nice. That’s a great selection of fish you have

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. They’re some amazing looking fish. Are they on your wish list?

Not the two venustus/multibar hybrids - the two regular angels are very hard so presumably the hybrid would be also. Not really looking to spend $1K on a fish, though every time i see a tigerpyge I am tempted.

OP
OP
B

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the two venustus/multibar hybrids - the two regular angels are very hard so presumably the hybrid would be also. Not really looking to spend $1K on a fish, though every time i see a tigerpyge I am tempted.
The Tigerpyge and the solar flame would definitely add amazing colours to the tank

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course fish cannot just live in straight NaCl at the correct salinity because Natural sea water have everything imaginable in it. You cannot just get table salt and mix them at appropriate salinity and expect your FOWLR aquarium to do well. Trace element and trace toxicity need to be at appropriate level. However, almost any of the salt for sale today will have adequate level of these element so you don't have to worry about level or check them.

Thanks but that does not answer my question.

When you have fish only tank you don’t need to worry about level of all, cal, and mag? Meaning you don’t need to dose? Just maintain Salinity and husbandry Is enough?

OP
OP
B

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but that does not answer my question.

When you have fish only tank you don’t need to worry about level of all, cal, and mag? Meaning you don’t need to dose? Just maintain Salinity and husbandry Is enough?
I understand your question. I’m setting up a fish only tank right now for that reason. I want my first tank to be a little easier. I just need to focus on keeping the ph, salinity and water and a few other smaller things right and that should be all. Where about’s in Canada do you live?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back