Best filter for Macro Lense?

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may know this but, the close focusing distance for your lens is about 1 foot. People wonder why their images aren't crisp, it can be that they are just too close.
You should not need any filters on the lens and as pointed out, if you shoot RAW, just put the camera on Auto White Balance. Hit the MENU button, scroll down to SHOOTING MENU, find WHITE BALANCE and it is likely set on AUTO. If not go to the right and all the white balance options will come up. Select AUTO and hit the OK button.
Your goal should be to get a crisp image, and if the color is a tad off it should be correctable with processing.
Unfortunately/fortunately that requires getting into post processing software that allows you to adjust WB on a RAW image.

Last edited:

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has a Samsung phone try these settings.

1. Phone is a Samsung S7
2.Set camera to Pro mode
3.Set the Appratur to 1/90
4.Set the ISO to 50
5.WB to 10000k
6.Use Auto focus

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture of the anthias was using an S7 and no post processing.

EXIF:
f/1.7
ISO-250
1/90

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest you hit up YouTube! Their are a bunch of how to videos. Some even will walk you through the settings of your specific camera.

Spending that kind of money someone shouldn’t just point and shoot. Learn about your camera and what it will do. You will find once you get the hang of it. You are more likely to use it more often for other types of photography.

OzarksReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lens you picked up is really nice and will serve you well, but honestly, you don't really need a macro lens for most of the shooting we do in aquariums. A fast lens that allows a fairly close minimum focus distance will get the job done nicely. Most of the cheap 50mm f1.8 lenses are great for general aquarium shots.

I've been shooting my tanks for the past ten years and there are a few critical things I pay attention to:
  1. Always shoot in RAW format and adjust WB in post (Lightroom is excellent). You can also remove air bubbles and detritus in the water column that may distract from the subject.
  2. If your lights are adjustable, go ahead and change them to a lower kelvin setting (whiter) for the photos. Your camera will thank you for this and you'll find your shots are a lot more crisp. The higher kelvin ratings wreak havoc with camera sensors.
  3. Be sure to keep your lens as close to parallel with the class as possible. Shooting at an angle will distort the image.
  4. If you can pick one up, a top down photo box is a big help and will give your coral photos a unique perspective.
  5. Shoot in aperture priority mode and open up your aperature fairly wide to gather the most light and allow for a really fast shutter speed. This will reduce the depth of field in the photo, but that helps focus the eye on the subject.
  6. Use continuous focus when shooting fast moving subjects like fish.
There is a learning curve when it comes to photography. It won't take you long though and the time spent is well worth it! Here's a few of the shots I've taken with my DSLR over the years.

Clowns.jpg

Anthias.jpg

Montis.jpg

Coral-35.jpg

Coral-59.jpg

Digi-1.jpg

Reef-5.jpg

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pictures, what lens do you use? I have just the entry level Rebel XS (older 2009), and only have the std 28mm lens. Thinking to buy lens, any recommendation, mainly for shooting coral sps
Thanks

OzarksReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pictures, what lens do you use? I have just the entry level Rebel XS (older 2009), and only have the std 28mm lens. Thinking to buy lens, any recommendation, mainly for shooting coral sps
Thanks

Thanks - I'm shooting on an older Canon body too...Canon 7D. The first three shots are older and were most likely taken with the Canon 50mm 1.8. The minimum focusing distance on this lens is around 15" and it's good for normal shots. You can always crop it down to get in tighter to the subject if you want. The last three shots were taken with an Olympus OM-D EM-1 with a 60mm macro lens. Nice little mirrorless setup. I'm back to my Canon gear now and will be shooting primarily with my 50mm 1.4 and 105mm macro (Sigma). If you're looking for an inexpensive option to get started, I'd recommend the 50mm 1.8 STM - very sharp and very fast for only around $125.

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to buy a camera
How is the Canon EOS rebel T6 comes with two lens 18–55 mm and a 75-300 mm. Would something like this work 400 off at Best Buy
Or a Nikon D 3400 with the same two lenses? New to cameras only used my phone to take pictures would like to get some nice pictures. Also would I need any other lens for blue lighting?

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents but if you haven't already, you should put a UV filter on. It shouldn't have any effect on your pictures but it will protect the lens from getting scratched.

OzarksReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to buy a camera
How is the Canon EOS rebel T6 comes with two lens 18–55 mm and a 75-300 mm. Would something like this work 400 off at Best Buy
Or a Nikon D 3400 with the same two lenses? New to cameras only used my phone to take pictures would like to get some nice pictures. Also would I need any other lens for blue lighting?

Either of those camera bodies are fine but you should plan on purchasing a faster lens eventually. They practically give away the kit lenses so it's hard to pass up a bundle like that. A 50mm 1.8 lens will help your shooting in the aquarium plus it works well as a portrait lens too on an APS-C body like those. You'll want to shoot in RAW format so you can adjust the white balance and I'd recommend dialing the blues down and whites up when shooting your coral.

Rick Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot in RAW and use a raw editor to adjust the white balance. Use a manual tool that allows you to pick the spot to adjust too. Pick a spot that is white such as the sand or the plug. Adding a yellow filter will put you closer and you and the manual white balancing will put you pretty close.

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to do that new to this camera. Just picked this up with a UV lens also.
f693d71cf1d516e8e322db2eacd47d2c.heic

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back