Best halide reflectors

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same metal halide reflectors over my tank since 2002ish. They are the parabolic “Spyder” reflectors. Over the years, with salt splashing, they are pitted and tarnished, and probably don’t reflect as much light as they used to. I run a 250 watt bulb in the middle, and 2 - 175 watts on either side, so I would need 3 reflectors.

I could just buy replacement Spyder reflectors for pretty cheap, but I’m just wondering what other people are using and recommend. Thanks.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The parbolic types are the best based off the Lumenarc III

It will make a huge difference compared to your spyders...........dont buy them again.

Reefbrite makes some nice ones as well but the spread isn't as good as the parabolic types.......their design is better for heat control

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parbolic types are the best based off the Lumenarc III

It will make a huge difference compared to your spyders...........dont buy them again.

Reefbrite makes some nice ones as well but the spread isn't as good as the parabolic types.......their design is better for heat control

If I were in the market, this would be the one. The lumenbright reflectors are too deep in height and tight in diameter anyway. They focus too much light down and don’t scatter enough. Those Cabo sun look perfect. Adjustable bulb base, mixture of smooth and hammer tone facets. Large surface area. Do it

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are some for sale. I use the lumenarc large 22/22/9 I believe. The throw a lot of spread into the tank.

corey

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a big fan of Hamilton. I have been exclusively using their bulbs since day 1. They have worked well for me, so I haven’t seen a need to try anything else. I do like those Cabo Sun reflectors, but they won’t fit my hood. I need to fit my halides between 2 VHO bulbs in a 22 inch space. Those Cabo’s are 20 inch square. Now the Cabo Sun mini’s, those are 12.75” square. I have 12.5” between my VHO bulbs, so I might be able to tweak the fluorescents to get enough room. My canopy is only 10 inches tall, so those regular Cabo Sun reflectors would sit like an inch off the water! And I just don’t feel like building a new canopy right now.

Thanks for the input so far. Good stuff.

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the lumen bright minis from the second post with 2 vhos over a 180
Do you have them in a canopy? How does that work out? And how tall is your canopy? I’m starting to see the design flaws in my original calculations when I designed my hood back in 2002. I wish I made it at least 2 inches taller....

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run lumen bright minis with de 250 watt phoenix 14k on m80 ballasts over my 120.
Could not be happier since changing from 8 t5's.
Corals have exploded in growth a month after adjusting to them.
20201121_191625.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same metal halide reflectors over my tank since 2002ish. They are the parabolic “Spyder” reflectors. Over the years, with salt splashing, they are pitted and tarnished, and probably don’t reflect as much light as they used to. I run a 250 watt bulb in the middle, and 2 - 175 watts on either side, so I would need 3 reflectors.

I could just buy replacement Spyder reflectors for pretty cheap, but I’m just wondering what other people are using and recommend. Thanks.

You might have to customize your canopy anyway to acomodate the right fixture over your tank. In most cases there will be no simple solution when we look to get the best for our particular application. Would be great if you could start this thread with a picture and measurements of your system and canopy, so people would be able to help. What are you keeping?

gguertin145

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have them in a canopy? How does that work out? And how tall is your canopy? I’m starting to see the design flaws in my original calculations when I designed my hood back in 2002. I wish I made it at least 2 inches taller....
I dont have any height issues I went to the Ceiling. I have an aluminum frame that I mount the VHO too and then I sit the reflectors right on top of the frame in between the VHO. I originally designed it for 4 VHO bulbs but I didnt think it would fit without trying to angle the vho bulbs at a 45 degree angle.

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have to customize your canopy anyway to acomodate the right fixture over your tank. In most cases there will be no simple solution when we look to get the best for our particular application. Would be great if you could start this thread with a picture and measurements of your system and canopy, so people would be able to help. What are you keeping?
Here's my current light setup. Like I said, the distance between the 2 VHO's is about 12.5 inches. It is a 180 gallon tank, so it is 6 feet long, and the canopy is 10 inches tall. I'm wishing I had made it taller, but at this point, I'm stuck with it.
img_6081-1-jpg.1571450

I have an SPS dominant mixed reef, with some colonies that are the size of volleyballs. I also have euphyllia and leathers. I have a derasa clam that has grown about 1.5" of new shell since I got it back in February. So I really don't have any complaints per se, I'm just always looking for "better". And with the pitting on the existing reflectors, given their age, and how outdated they are, they could definitely be better. I'm betting I am losing a lot of light with bad reflectors. Here's a recent shot of my tank.
img_5929-1-jpg.1496685

I am just wondering what other people are using, and how it works for them. Then I can see if those options fit my setup. Like I said, the Cabo Sun reflectors, as nice as they are, would be difficult to fit into my existing canopy. Whereas, the Cabo Sun Mini's may be just right....

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, Cabo Sun minis is a great improvement from spiders! That might be the only best way to go without any modifications.
Great reflector! Enjoy!

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have to customize your canopy anyway to acomodate the right fixture over your tank.
I certainly respect your opinion on the reflectors (and everyone else's for that matter). I suppose I wouldn't be completely opposed to a redesign of my canopy. But that might require a trip to the hardware store for another sheet of oak plywood. And if I'm going to spend the money on the mini's, the regulars aren't much more expensive. Let's see how good your powers of persuasion are! What would be the "best" option for halide reflectors with fitting 2 VHO bulbs in there as well?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the Cabo sun minis the same as the Cayman Sun? Those are about 12x12

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly respect your opinion on the reflectors (and everyone else's for that matter). I suppose I wouldn't be completely opposed to a redesign of my canopy. But that might require a trip to the hardware store for another sheet of oak plywood. And if I'm going to spend the money on the mini's, the regulars aren't much more expensive. Let's see how good your powers of persuasion are! What would be the "best" option for halide reflectors with fitting 2 VHO bulbs in there as well?
The very best for what we can find today relatively available? First thing I would take the canopy a part and open the top for ventilation. All my tanks are open. I would get Cozumel fixtures (they are 20" X 20" X 9.5") cause I like to have a glass protection for my halides and would enjoy doing it. Don't take me wrong, I'm a very busy guy, but I plan stuff and get it done if I think it will improve the system. I also would place a fan to cut the heat around those fixtures.
If you don't want to do that way, the Cabo Sun minis will be a great choice (they are open reflectors), as I've said before. You can open some holes on the top of the canopy to get the air out. Just can't go wrong with halides anyway!
If the Cabo Sun mini works the best for you, that's they way to go.
Every one will have their priorities and goals. Just try to enjoy while you're doing it. You won't touch it anymore, besides changing those bulbs.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some in the 13x13 or 14x14 range is fine unless your spread needs to be huge.

The VHOs wont work well unless you can get some nice parabolic reflectors on them...so plan on another 4 inches on each side. If you can get the reflectors in there, they are like having 2x T5s in the same area.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back