Best LED micro algae light

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for recommendations about good LED micro algae light. Don't want a spiral style bulb. I want a full fixture like a marineland led or something wasn't sure how that would work?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for recommendations about good LED micro algae light. Don't want a spiral style bulb. I want a full fixture like a marineland led or something wasn't sure how that would work?
yea those all have the right spectrum, freshwater planted, or the crazy pink leds work too. some folks have good stuff to say about the regular mars aqua too.

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea those all have the right spectrum, freshwater planted, or the crazy pink leds work too. some folks have good stuff to say about the regular mars aqua too.
Are you about to post a link? Just don't wanna get the wrong one... lol

I have a mars hydro, and its incredible! In fact, I've now got algae growing in my skimmer chamber as well...have to figure that one out. I don't think it hurts anything, its just an eyesore.
Hmmm that sounds to powerful lol.

Another question for you guys! How long do you keep your refungium light on? Mine is the exact opposite of the display.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those would be fine if there was a good amount of power.

Even a 10-20 watt screw-in LED bulb from Home Depot will be mighty intense and grow algae. Just make sure it's outdoor rated – they make them both ways.

Something in the format of a spotlight (which the screw-in types usually are) will help concentrate the algae growth vs a floodlight-type which might get algae growing places you don't want it. ;)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea like that. Current orbit, fluval, a bunch of folks make them.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the area your looking to illuminate.. Any horticultural unit from on Amazon will work(stay away from the 40.00 crap units). But mars, and viparspectra are my favorites.. I started with the 300 watt units, but have moved to the 600 watt unit since I am growing in a stock tank. But any of them will work great.. Just be ready to harvest every week to week and a half..

This is the mars that I started with, that most people have:

MarsHydro Mars300 LED Grow Light Full Spectrum ETL Certification Lighting for Hydroponic Indoor Greenhouse / Garden Plants Growing, 132W True Watt Panel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XC3LBI2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_64bBybRD6H0K7

I then moved to viparspectra 300 which puts out even more light and grows even faster and runs cooler:

VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B4GQ6MO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_o7bByb2RGEVV8

And finally, I am now using the viparspectra 600 watt unit below. This one is a monster, and I only run the red and blue led channels:

VIPARSPECTRA PAR600 600W 12-band LED Grow Light - 3-Switches Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H72RD3K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_g9bByb5T0NYRJ

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil Purple works very well also. A lot of options as you can tell!!!

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the area your looking to illuminate.. Any horticultural unit from on Amazon will work(stay away from the 40.00 crap units). But mars, and viparspectra are my favorites..

I then moved to viparspectra 300 which puts out even more light and grows even faster and runs cooler:

VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B4GQ6MO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_o7bByb2RGEVV8

This is the one I went with. Growth is almost unbelievable. Would regularly harvest a gallon or more of the darkest chaeto I've ever seen. And the individual algae strands are thick and tough, much more so than any I've ever grown under other lights.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched this before, but found it a very good and simple analysis.. Pay attention especially sheet 1:40...

RJ Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just buy a grow bulb from Lowe's. it grows chateo like crazy. Every month I thin it out of a 10 by 18 section of my sump and it's usually very packed

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Damon

Do you think the VIPARSPECTRA 300 has better growth than the Hydro Mars 300 because the VIPARSPECTRA has 90° optics and the Hydro Mars has 90/120° mixed optics?

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Damon

Do you think the VIPARSPECTRA 300 has better growth than the Hydro Mars 300 because the VIPARSPECTRA has 90° optics and the Hydro Mars has 90/120° mixed optics?
Mnnnn the Mars that I purchased, came with no optics. It was before they were adding them in.. So I'm sure that had a significant impact.. But on top of that, and I cannot remember the diode breakdown for the via(either the small 300 or the 600 that I have now), but visually they even look very different in the color..

My buddy has the Mars now, and I still see it frequently in action.. And it is a good unit.. Not going to lie.. It very well could be the optics, it could be the diode selection, and it could be a mix.. But I know the Via(as good as the Mars is) simply stomps it with anything I put under either unit.. And the little one(300) is a beast!

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mnnnn the Mars that I purchased, came with no optics. It was before they were adding them in.. So I'm sure that had a significant impact.. But on top of that, and I cannot remember the diode breakdown for the via(either the small 300 or the 600 that I have now), but visually they even look very different in the color..

My buddy has the Mars now, and I still see it frequently in action.. And it is a good unit.. Not going to lie.. It very well could be the optics, it could be the diode selection, and it could be a mix.. But I know the Via(as good as the Mars is) simply stomps it with anything I put under either unit.. And the little one(300) is a beast!

Thanks...looks like the Via for me :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back