Best Leds for Chaeto?

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I got my Noctua 1200 redux fan today and installed it in my Growstar 150. Its SOOOOOO much quieter. It’s inaudible now over the rest of my tank. Such a cheap easy fix for this light. It comes with a 3 pin so all you need to do is cut off the pin on the old fan and install it on the Noctua. Also the screws holding in the stock fan are just slightly too short with the Noctua because the stock fan has countersunk holes. You can get new screws obviously but I just expanded the holes on the new fan a bit and used the old ones.

Overall a great cheap upgrade for this light. I can’t hear it at all now.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my Noctua 1200 redux fan today and installed it in my Growstar 150. Its SOOOOOO much quieter. It’s inaudible now over the rest of my tank. Such a cheap easy fix for this light. It comes with a 3 pin so all you need to do is cut off the pin on the old fan and install it on the Noctua. Also the screws holding in the stock fan are just slightly too short with the Noctua because the stock fan has countersunk holes. You can get new screws obviously but I just expanded the holes on the new fan a bit and used the old ones.

Overall a great cheap upgrade for this light. I can’t hear it at all now.
Nice! Glad it worked out.

estebanb450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4c965b5a2bdebb4c55e541f34e46f4a9.jpg
the 150 watt over my new Triton sump set up can’t wait to see how it does !

What brand is that I got the ufo brand off amazon 1month the Chaeto EXPLODED was about 6” round now it’s 12x12x5” deep all Chaeto

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand is that I got the ufo brand off amazon 1month the Chaeto EXPLODED was about 6” round now it’s 12x12x5” deep all Chaeto
That is the 150w growstar ufo, same one I have. There are several ufo style lights on amazon btw, ufo is not the brand it's the style. Regardless, glad to hear it's working out for you too! Mine creates a black abyss of chaeto aka chaeto brick. I am pulling out gallon zip locks packed to the brim about once a week, it's nuts.
1a3c705a956f3bf551ccfb3e8cad5431.jpg

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link to the fan you got? Noctua makes a ton of fans and want to make sure I get the right size.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This new fan continues to amaze me. After the old one sounding like a dang hair dryer I keep having to put my hand on this thing now to even know it’s working. It’s pushing about 4 cfm less than the stock one but I don’t think that is a significant difference. If that’s a worry the 1800 rpm Noctua is also an option. It pushes more CFM than the stock fan and is still 8 decibels quiter.

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run the kessil h380 over my sps tank and have been happy with it.

I also just ordered the ufo growstar from amazon to put in my nem only tank.

I am very excited to compare the results!

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you now that the kessil is a monster!!
I already pruned some off and shared it with a friend after 2 weeks of growth on a golf ball sized original clump.

Curious to see if the ufo can keep up . . .
Well it's two completely different systems so not a good comparison. What you should do is run em for a while then switch which tanks they are on. Apples to apples

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back