Best Leds for Chaeto?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles on the chaeto is good unless it's actually bubbles on cyano or dino on chaeto. I agree that you must have very little flow on the surface of the water. I don't have a powerhead in my fuge but the speed of the flow through the sump and over the baffle keeps the surface moving quickly/skims the surface. I think a powerhead should solve your issue.

I have a powerhead but it's not aimed at the surface.
I will reorient it and see what happens.

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason a strong grow light can be important is that the fuge has to compete with the main tank algae which typically has significantly stronger lighting. The problem I am finding is most grow lights are sourced from seemingly random companies in China with unknown build quality and warranties. Last thing a person wants to do is install a $50 light and have it catch fire. Finding a quality version of a strong grow light that is reasonably priced is elusive at least to me.

SB Reef Lights has the SBox Sprite Fuge for $130 using 84w. It is a "black box" but at least with US representation and a two year warranty. Doubt they are selling a junk light but not sure if it meets actual UL or CE standards.

https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-nano-reeffuge/8-sbox-sprite-fuge.html

If someone wants to take a gamble of sorts, here is a 50w for $29 that is listed as CE certified and waterproof. I wouldn't put any of those stats to the test at this price though:

https://www.amazon.com/HIGROW-Spect...srs=15168275011&ie=UTF8&qid=1516379908&sr=8-8

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried using strip lights on the walls of their fuge? My thoughts are that with the top down lights, as the chaeto grows it'll start shading out some of the other algae in the fuge. With the lights on the sides the algae would still receive plenty of light.

I did see some strip leds of grow lights on amazon but maybe they're not any good. As an alternative maybe place a single, weaker, light on each side(instead of strip lights), so two weaker lights on the sides instead of one powerful light on the top.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried using strip lights on the walls of their fuge? My thoughts are that with the top down lights, as the chaeto grows it'll start shading out some of the other algae in the fuge. With the lights on the sides the algae would still receive plenty of light.

I did see some strip leds of grow lights on amazon but maybe they're not any good. As an alternative maybe place a single, weaker, light on each side(instead of strip lights), so two weaker lights on the sides instead of one powerful light on the top.

I've definitely seen people do that and it is used in macroalgae reactors like ARID. I've had no problems growing chaeto or die off on the bottom or anything like that with a near solid brick in my fuge and a high powered light overhead. Chaeto is long interwoven strands so light from the top half can grow the bottom half as well, even if it's in the dark. My light penetrates half way down into my fuge even when packed to the brim. Then I trim it anyway it and everything except for the very bottom gets light. There is some reflection off the side of the fuge and chaeto itself is pretty translucent and has gaps in between strands.

I'm sure you could do that though, although then you wouldn't have anything lighting the middle ;) . now a powerful light overhead plus sides and bottom, your covered lol. I don't think it's necessary at all though. Will be easier and cheaper to implement a light above only.

719bloodhound

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my ufo on there for about two weeks and when I started it was just a sandwich bag of cheato. 40g breeder

46c18e62a1f22c6170c3a9b780c87e4b.jpg

gman107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of growth! can you post pic of your sump ? How large are your chambers on the 40 ? Which ufo ?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to stop using the Growstar ufo light.

I had to switch my sump back to a traditional configuration. I think the Growstar is going to be too much light for the size of the fuge. I put it over the fuge, turned it on and almost went blind. The fuge has white walls and the power of the light plus the reflection of the light is really very bright.

I have the Fluval Sea marine and reef nano led light over the fuge right now.

http://usa.hagen.com/fluval-sea-nano-performance-led-lamp

Is this enough light to get good growth?

20180121_195949.jpg
20180121_200137.jpg

If not, would the Growstar work or would it be too much.

719bloodhound

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run it

I might have to stop using the Growstar ufo light.

I had to switch my sump back to a traditional configuration. I think the Growstar is going to be too much light for the size of the fuge. I put it over the fuge, turned it on and almost went blind. The fuge has white walls and the power of the light plus the reflection of the light is really very bright.

I have the Fluval Sea marine and reef nano led light over the fuge right now.

http://usa.hagen.com/fluval-sea-nano-performance-led-lamp

Is this enough light to get good growth?

20180121_195949.jpg
20180121_200137.jpg

If not, would the Growstar work or would it be too much.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this on SBReef's website - considering that I paid $50 for a high quality gooseneck and around $20ish for a 36w bulb, this seems like a better deal ($50 for a similar bulb and a gooseneck). I doubt that it's much (if any) of an upgrade, but if I ever need a new setup I'll have to remember this - https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-nano-reeffuge/12-spar38-fuge.html

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered and received the growstar 150w led light. It does indeed pull only 67 watts, but man is that thing loud. It looks to be a standard 80 mm computer fan, so I'll probably replace it, as it's ***** annoying. Thought I would share some pics of the internals for folks interested in the build quality.

If anyone has the 300w, I'd be curious as to the internals, like what's the powersupply etc...

Fan page :

http://fan-cooling.com/product_view.asp?id=34

IMG_20180111_203549.jpg IMG_20180111_204345.jpg IMG_20180111_204338.jpg IMG_20180111_203820.jpg IMG_20180111_203817.jpg
So did you follow up with the fan replacement? I just instaled a ufo today on my fuge and yea, the fan is loud. If you did could you tell me where you gto the fan from and which one so I can do the same?
Thanks, Russ

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the 150 watt growstar draws 67 watts? I went with the 300 watt beamnova and it draws the same. Fan is loud, too. I think I may be returning it for the growstar. My fuge is only 12 x 12 so the smaller size would be better for me. Pictures to come tonight.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased the 150w growstar and while it’s a nice light I’m returning it because the fan is soooooo loud. My tank isn’t quiet by any means but the high pitched whine of this fan is just too much.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back