Best lighting on the market? Is there one?

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna peace out if this one. I feel like I'm way too much if a distraction to the OP.

@ OP. Best advice ever. Get your friend to find someone on here that has the kind of tank they want to achieve. Someone that spends a lot of their posting on their tank and corals. That's the person you'll get the best answer from.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty abrupt water's edge once we stray from LED don't you think?

Photons are photons, shouldn't it be straightforward to talk evenly about the strengths and weaknesses of the different ways they are delivered to a tank?
LED hands down delivers photons more efficiently than MH's..
LED currently produce more photons / watt than MH's
Pure physics..

CMH's narrowed the gap..

MH's are a point light source w/ a large reflector. LED's are point light sources w/ err tiny "reflectors"..

After literally years of err lurking..it becomes obvious nobody wants what the ocean looks like (or more precisely it's light field) at depth. Closest exception would be a tidal flat.

There is NO one size fits all lighting..

Last edited:

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a friend who’s about to drop 1,400 on a t5 light fixture with 2 Kessil A360X. I feel like that’s soooo much for money for just those 3 things. He says that’s what’s the best in the market.

I’m just wondering if he was lead the wrong way? Are there better lights for the same price or less? Is he making the best choice? I gotta look out for my fellow reefer so I’m wondering what you all think.

Is there something better? What’s your all’s perspective. He mainly has zoas and mushrooms. Some encrusting corals. Oh and a few anemones. For a 125g long tank
Myself I don’t think there is a bad light. Most of us like to have the very best for our reefs. When it comes down to it. just having the right par rating and the right color temp is most important.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you would place a premium on data regarding blend, shadowing and spread.

As it turns out LED mfg do, and most recent advances bear that out.

LED fixture wattage is going up

LED pucks are giving way to panels

LED optics are giving way to diffusers

Bc of the data mfg have that show these deficiencies vs MH/T5.

Or are we left to think these advances were not data driven? They are after all the most scientifically advanced vendors in the hobby.....
Wasn't going to bother w/ this anymore but you posed some fair questions.
See you separate LEDs from how leds are used. QUITE fair and frankly, from LED history.. about time.. No arguement.
Initial LED designs were an abject failure considering the potential YET still managed to grow "stuff".
I'm sure there are some tanks out there w/ the simple highK/royal blue pattern w/ inferior optics chugging along.

It's a NORMAL progression.
Seen it here, seen it in the freshwater world too which btw still has t5's vs LED "discussions".

One mistake you make is vendors are financially constrained so compromises still are made.
Honestly the easiest LED fix would be the correct phosphor pack and correct pump to make it "simple" ala tubes and bulbs.
Not enough of a market for that.
MH choices have crashed since the "glory days" of halides. Not saying it's dying and I believe CMH's will keep it alive.. for now.

And a friendly word of warning from someone else..
As important as we (as a hobby) think we are, NOBODY (that matters) is paying attention to what we want or use
Don't blame LED's for poor marketing decisions or poor understanding of the "world".
If you look back you will see some of the same MH vs t5 err "discussions".

MH "kingdom" was based on brute force photons not "skill".
PC's died.. no real difference between t5 and them except efficiency and lifespan.

For fun.. didn't spend the 3 hours soo no idea what it really ending up saying.
May or may not support my "opinions".. but it's history. Pretty sure warts and all is fairly accurate.

Take the time..

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've said that before and will say it again:
BRS is great in what they do!!!!! Marketing and sales! No one can blame them! Money is money! I did like many things they have done!
The time they spend making those videos is to teach newbies what they want the newbies to learn, so they can sell what they have! That is what the technology of videos today offers! Some old folks will also believe in some of their words, like what many have been saying for more than a decade that halides will be banned and so on...
Problem is that look like they are purposely, besides the videos, strategically removing halides from their inventory. Is there a plan to leave only LEDs on the market? Why? More profit?
Their talk is very well written for that particular video! Great job, guys!! That is their job, people!!!
@50:39 they talk about the best way to EMULATE (their possible plan?) metal halides and T5s. Emulate is not simply substitute, but match or surpass, typically by imitation. How can you do that if the two technologies produce light in a totally different way AND the results are also different? Why imitate when already have those technologies and they know, cause they actually said, they are proven technologiy and much cheaper to buy?
I'm not going to quote some other stuff because makes me sick to the stomach!!! Specially when they make those faces with disgust. Sorry!

Do they need to remove halides from their site to make room for those LEDs or for anything else in that warehouse, like they said? NO. Simply because Hamilton technologies can send their fixtures, ballasts and bulbs directly from Hamilton, just like they do for Aquacave, Marine Depot, etc...!!! What about ReefBrite? Same thing! They can also leave the Giesemann fixtures there, so people can order, and not have to call Germany for a special order!!!! How ridiculous is all that! I don't think keeping about 100 Radium bulbs in stock will make too much difference either.
The truth is that IT WOULDN'T HURT FOR THEM TO LEAVE HALIDES ON THEIR PAGES TO BE CHOSEN! That leads me to think that they possibly want to push/promote LEDs instead and eliminate halides.
If so, marketing strategy! Good job, boys! Hard times... we all need to make money! Gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Who said we need to think about the health of the animals and not saving electricity and "looks"? Who has been writing here for years about the combination of a pointed source of light (metal halides) and sky light (T5s) as the perfect combo!? What about PAR only part of the equation and not the most important quality measured for reef lighting?
Well they also talked about all that and they imposed LEDs will do better than halides/t5s (emulating). LOL! What a joke! They can try... The corals will survive, of course! We will need lots of money to get the coverage just to try!!! They will be happy with the sales!
I also have said this hobby is regressing in terms of lighting. You can find somehow that in the video as well!
I'm sure they are not using my words because they don't have time to read here too much... they are very busy making videos and selling LEDs. I'm proud of them in this respect. That is also part of the growth of the hobby.

If you put what they tell you in your mind you will be buying only LEDs from now on to try to emulate halides + T5s.
Good luck!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scitronixvertex.JPG

IF you watch the video you will see they got rid of metal halides because they weren't selling.
right or wrong it just was..
Took another decade before "sort of" (not that it was wrong just the led bars equaled or surpassed them) giving up on t5's.
IT WOULDN'T HURT FOR THEM TO LEAVE HALIDES ON THEIR PAGES TO BE CHOSEN!

Their choice not yours, stop whining..

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dr. Sanjay is running more LED power right now than with those 400W halides he had (see video above)!! Also, he needs more heaters without the halides!! His tank isn't looking as good as you can see in this video above!!! The colors of the corals are dull, specially that famous yellow Porites, since the first 2 years using those LEDs!
Notice how Jake (sponsored by EcoTech) try to change the conversation with Dr. Sanjay talks about his yellow Porites! (video below).

By the way... Halides aren't only for big tanks!!!! Proper application is critical choosing any light system for any particular aquarium. There are many types and sizes of halide fixtures for tanks from 40 gallons up, as we know. Wattage varies from 150W, 175W, 250W and 400W to allow proper application.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dr. Sanjay is running more LED power right now than with those 400W halides he had (see video above)!! Also, he needs more heaters without the halides!! His tank isn't looking as good as you can see in this video above!!! The colors of the corals are dull, specially that famous yellow Porites, since the first 2 years using those LEDs!
Notice how Jake (sponsored by EcoTech) try to change the conversation with Dr. Sanjay talks about his yellow Porites! (video below).

By the way... Halides aren't only for big tanks!!!! Proper application is critical choosing any light system for any particular aquarium. There are many types and sizes of halide fixtures for tanks from 40 gallons up, as we know. Wattage varies from 150W, 175W, 250W and 400W to allow proper application.

MH + T5 combo is one that may never be beat... but affordability comes into play at a certain point.

LED's are much more affordable and do provide very nice results.
No it's not the same as the crisp t5's but it is fair and affordable.

T5's and halides were a beautiful sight in their day though :)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Getting redundant.
Read his response to comments

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back