Best lighting recommendations

Nataly742

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have a small tank but down the road want a big one. I’m looking for the best lighting for my coral. I have softies now but will want others in the future. Help me pick a new light :) I have the “zoox” I believe it is?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too like the aqua illumination lights. I have 2 16hds over my nuvo20 and doing really well. Plan to upgrade to a 100G with 2-3 hydra 32’s and then way down the road when I do my dream tank 300+ gallons I’ll do a mix of AI 32s with some Reefbrite led strips to help give coverage.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your budget? Radion or Kessel. Something like that will be the “best” in some peoples opinion. I’m using a $150 eBay t5 grow light with ati bulbs. A black box may be good just for softies.

OP
OP
Nataly742

Nataly742

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the AI systems. How big are you thinking? I run two Prime HDs on my 20 long and they’re a little over powered. If it’s 50 gallons or bigger I’d look at the Hydras :)
I have a little 20 gallon, it was given to me and I’m so new to the hobby but adore it. I thought I was in it for the fish, but the coral are now what kept me here. Having said that im so so so new that I don’t quite now what that means! Are those brands of lights? And in the future I would probably want a 50+

OP
OP
Nataly742

Nataly742

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your budget? Radion or Kessel. Something like that will be the “best” in some peoples opinion. I’m using a $150 eBay t5 grow light with ati bulbs. A black box may be good just for softies.
What do both of those run around?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little 20 gallon, it was given to me and I’m so new to the hobby but adore it. I thought I was in it for the fish, but the coral are now what kept me here. Having said that im so so so new that I don’t quite now what that means! Are those brands of lights? And in the future I would probably want a 50+
Yes AI is a brand called Aqua Illumination. :). I really like their stuff and I’m switching from ecotech marine gen 4s over to hydras (the model) very soon. Recently purchased a second AI Prime HD for my 20 gallon and I couldn’t be happier with the quality and ease of use. They don’t really break the bank either and I can grow everything I’m able to get my hands on
A9BA6339-D7FF-4D7B-B7D7-2BE0CF7C1FF8.jpeg
4032C50F-43E9-448D-97BE-DADB11A5CAFD.jpeg

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

don’t misinform people. A black box is more than capable of handling any type of coral.
Op if You want a good budget light look at viparspectra, brs did a video on black boxes. You can find them on amazon.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don’t misinform people. A black box is more than capable of handling any type of coral.
Op if You want a good budget light look at viparspectra, brs did a video on black boxes. You can find them on amazon.
I wasn’t misinforming, she asked for the best. I actually suggested a black box to her. Read it all before you go judging.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a black box may be good for just softies.....sounds pretty black and white to me
Her first post said she just had softies but maybe trying others. Black boxes are a waste of money in the long run for sps Imo of course ,but you’re the expert here so carry on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back