Best method to acclimate a nem?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
what’s the best way to acclimate a nem? My Lfs finally got some in. Some people say temperature acclimate and drop in. Other people say like a one hour slow drip? Thanks!

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use a drip method. I will put the nem in a bucket with the water it came in. Then i place a drip line in the bucket and slowly drip water from the tank into the bucket over 1-2 hours. Once this is done, I carefully lift the nem out of the bucket, with as little water as possible, and place it in the tank with all flow turned off. Once the nem has attached securely, I will slowly turn flow back on.

DudeBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you worry about temp difference with a slow drip? I have a dripper but I always end up opening it up quickly because I feel like its taking so long the water is cooling...

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you worry about temp difference with a slow drip? I have a dripper but I always end up opening it up quickly because I feel like its taking so long the water is cooling...

I've never had a problem. I've always dripped. Maybe a few drops a second in a five gallon bucket.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do as above(drip) , but put the container the anemone is in, in a pan of warm water to maintain the same temp as the tank. You have to keep adding warm water every now and then to the pan to maintain the temp.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do it at the same time you do a water change it helps, since it's such a long drip acclimation, might as well toss the bucket and do your water change. Just what I do though.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp acclimate and drop it in .
I’ve always done this and never lost a single nem

b breef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert by any means but the logic of how dripping can introduce more stress than necessary seems sound. Dripping changes the chemistry you are exposing your new animal to many many unnecessary times. If you tank Pars are different from its temporary or lfs home. Seems like temp acclimating the larger amounts of tank water say10-15ml at a time until majority Of the water is your tank water is in the container of the new animal. I only chimed in bc I plan to acclimate a bta soon and want to see what was said.
as long as you rchemistry Params are close to the new animals, it seems like this would by less stressful. ?
Then slow introduce to tank at lower flow and light as typically recommended with nems.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back