Best Place To Buy Sand

  • Thread starter Thread starter TANKSALOT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TANKSALOT

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
698
Reaction score
4
Location
Florida's Space Coast
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to buy about 400 lbs of sand for my 180 build.
Does anyone have a good source for sand?

The best I have found is a local supplier that has it at 75 cents a pound and it is local pick-up.

So, anything better out there?
Keep in mind that I am on the Space Coast of Florida.
And NO I don't want to go scoop it off the beach.... nasty stuff in that sand :tongue:

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve
 
400lbs?? you going for an 8 inch sand bed?

I want about 3 to 4 inches in the 180 and then about 6 inches in the 40 gallon refugium.

I have went to 3 different sites that calculate the number of pounds need and they all came out around 350 to 400 pounds.
Please tell me they are wrong!!!!!

I would love to buy less :bigsmile:
 
Well I put 80lbs in my 220 and I have about a 1" all the way across the bottom lol...tank is 84x24" on the foot print... I would say around 250lbs would do it for ya... Btw ya Marco rocks, rocks!!!!! Lol
 
Well I put 80lbs in my 220 and I have about a 1" all the way across the bottom lol...tank is 84x24" on the foot print... I would say around 250lbs would do it for ya... Btw ya Marco rocks, rocks!!!!! Lol

Thanks troylee

I am going to get 320 lbs to start.
That will give me around 250 for the 180 and 70 for the refugium area of the sump (48x10).
If I have extrea, that's cool to. Many club member are always looking for sand.


TANKSALOT
aka - Steve
 
marco rock sand are nice and fine and looks great. the downside of fine sand is it gets blown around easily.
count on about 5-10% less sand after rinsing. make sure you rinse really well before putting the sand in your tank or you will get the southern milkshake in your tank.
 
marco rock sand are nice and fine and looks great. the downside of fine sand is it gets blown around easily.
count on about 5-10% less sand after rinsing. make sure you rinse really well before putting the sand in your tank or you will get the southern milkshake in your tank.

Good advice, Thanks!

Local reefers have told me that their powerheads will rearrange the landscaping when redirected.
Hopefully I get them directed to the areas that I want and not have to move them.

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new