Best practices using controllers - help requested!

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new tank and recently had a return-line blowout that resulted in some water in my cabinet and the floor under. My system is not yet completely set up - especially the controller, but as a controller noob, I am having a hard time finding a cohesive thread with general safety practices using a controller. Is there a general reference guide or thread to basic controller safety programming for reef tanks, and suggested sensors?

Although I am running Hydros (Waveengine, X3, 2X wiFi strips, XP8, water level, temperature, pH), I am looking for generic guidance as to best controller practices for an in-cabinet sump system with skimmer, ATO (Osmolator for now, but re-thinking that quickly for a more integrated system), dosing kalk, and return pump.

How is the heater best managed (I have IM Helio, fwiw)? Do I use the Hydros controller to turn the heater on and off (was suggested in one thread), or the heater's controller (this seems more logical with the controller shutting things off if we are out of range)?
What do I trigger when I detect water in the cabinet? Auto shut off return, skimmer, and ATO?
What gets triggered when water level in sump is too high? Shut off ATO and skimmer?
Feed mode?
Water change mode?
pH monitoring for too much kalk?

I am trying to avoid two "rabbit holes": comparing controller brands and "convenience settings" (maybe another thread) vs settings you believe are absolutely mandatory for safety.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am setting up a new tank and recently had a return-line blowout that resulted in some water in my cabinet and the floor under. My system is not yet completely set up - especially the controller, but as a controller noob, I am having a hard time finding a cohesive thread with general safety practices using a controller. Is there a general reference guide or thread to basic controller safety programming for reef tanks, and suggested sensors?

Although I am running Hydros (Waveengine, X3, 2X wiFi strips, XP8, water level, temperature, pH), I am looking for generic guidance as to best controller practices for an in-cabinet sump system with skimmer, ATO (Osmolator for now, but re-thinking that quickly for a more integrated system), dosing kalk, and return pump.

How is the heater best managed (I have IM Helio, fwiw)? Do I use the Hydros controller to turn the heater on and off (was suggested in one thread), or the heater's controller (this seems more logical with the controller shutting things off if we are out of range)?
What do I trigger when I detect water in the cabinet? Auto shut off return, skimmer, and ATO?
What gets triggered when water level in sump is too high? Shut off ATO and skimmer?
Feed mode?
Water change mode?
pH monitoring for too much kalk?

I am trying to avoid two "rabbit holes": comparing controller brands and "convenience settings" (maybe another thread) vs settings you believe are absolutely mandatory for safety.
There are a lot of questions here - and each one seems like it could have multiple potential answers. So I'm going to give you general advice, with my opinion on some of the questions you asked. Unfortunately, none of the answers are going to be absolutely complete due to the complexity - hope it helps:

1. Keep it simple. Do not go for every gadget just because it is for sale.
2. Do not trust that the controller will be infallible. I.e. - monitor your tank just as you would without a controller.
3. Check and double check your error alerts and test them periodically to make sure you're going to get an alert if there is a problem. Additionally, check and double check your pH, temp, leak detectors, etc periodically for accuracy.
4. I like the controller you chose.
5. As to the heater - I set mine to allow the heater to do the controlling, (i.e. set the temp on the heater to x), then set the controller to shut off the heater if the temperature is higher than x+1 or 2.
6. Water in the cabinet/floor can mean a bunch of possibilities - so it's hard to make a specific recommendation. If you get an alert - my comment would be shut off the ATO for sure, shutting off the skimmer is not going to be a big deal short term. IF you have adequate flow in your display tank - I guess you could shut the return off. However, perhaps most important is getting home to the tank ASAP - as an alert could be anything from water splashing onto it - vs the entire tank or sump breaking.
7. As to the kalk if the pH is > xxx (you pick it) - you could shut that off.
8. If water level in the sump is 'too high' - I would shut off the skimmer and get home quickly to figure out the problem. Definitely shut off the ATO.

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of questions here - and each one seems like it could have multiple potential answers. So I'm going to give you general advice, with my opinion on some of the questions you asked. Unfortunately, none of the answers are going to be absolutely complete due to the complexity - hope it helps:

1. Keep it simple. Do not go for every gadget just because it is for sale.
2. Do not trust that the controller will be infallible. I.e. - monitor your tank just as you would without a controller.
3. Check and double check your error alerts and test them periodically to make sure you're going to get an alert if there is a problem. Additionally, check and double check your pH, temp, leak detectors, etc periodically for accuracy.
4. I like the controller you chose.
5. As to the heater - I set mine to allow the heater to do the controlling, (i.e. set the temp on the heater to x), then set the controller to shut off the heater if the temperature is higher than x+1 or 2.
6. Water in the cabinet/floor can mean a bunch of possibilities - so it's hard to make a specific recommendation. If you get an alert - my comment would be shut off the ATO for sure, shutting off the skimmer is not going to be a big deal short term. IF you have adequate flow in your display tank - I guess you could shut the return off. However, perhaps most important is getting home to the tank ASAP - as an alert could be anything from water splashing onto it - vs the entire tank or sump breaking.
7. As to the kalk if the pH is > xxx (you pick it) - you could shut that off.
8. If water level in the sump is 'too high' - I would shut off the skimmer and get home quickly to figure out the problem. Definitely shut off the ATO.
Thank you. This is very helpful and a good reality check.

I’m going to hard-plumb the return (as opposed to the garden hose Waterbox provides), so probably won’t have the same issue with the return hose slipping off a barb fitting.

“Get home quickly” is the key. Goal is to keep the water in the tank and sump, which apparently follows Murphy’s Law.

“Keep it simple” seems contrary to managing a reef tank with corals, but I am really trying. I am just loving that I can see what’s going on even when I am not home, and shut things down if needed using the controllable powerstrips.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. This is very helpful and a good reality check.

I’m going to hard-plumb the return (as opposed to the garden hose Waterbox provides), so probably won’t have the same issue with the return hose slipping off a barb fitting.

“Get home quickly” is the key. Goal is to keep the water in the tank and sump, which apparently follows Murphy’s Law.

“Keep it simple” seems contrary to managing a reef tank with corals, but I am really trying. I am just loving that I can see what’s going on even when I am not home, and shut things down if needed using the controllable powerstrips.
By keep it simple - I was referring to the fact that the more 'things' you have, the more likely one or more will fail. The specific products that you buy is up to your personal preference.

I did forget to mention one thing - and that was a 'power backup'. A generator or battery system that comes on automatically if you're not home.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check out my build thread here on R2R. I use the Hydros controller and there is quite a bit of information about it starting on page 7. Click on my tank thread banner on one of my post to get to the build thread then go to page 7. I have quite a bit automated. I have a leak detector in my stand that will shut off all pumps except the flow pumps.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back