Best Reason for Expensive Powerheads?

Cdeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops! Good thing to know! I was going to put two of them into Reefer 250 just because I want to use it with Apex.

How about Nero 5? I heard they are much more versatile. Good for nano tank to 120 gallon tank.
Have a Nero in a 16 gal biocube running at about 15%, anything higher is too much and kicks sand around all over everything. Waiting for my new waterbox 105 to come in, and i plan to put two in there. Great pumps and extremely versatile

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my MP40's bc of the low profile, reliability, ability to control flow pattern and styles, battery back up options, easy cleaning, customer service, the list goes on.
It's like cars. You can get a Kia or a BMW. They both do the job but one has more refined features and abilities.
I agree with you on that. I also like the idea of being able to fine tune my flow rate with the controller, not to mention having something quiet.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presumably you spend a premium on a power head either because it’s built better and will last longer or it offers features cheaper options do not. Paid a premium for Tunze back in 2001 (if memory serves) and they were still running fine in 2009. Some of my premium priced vortech pumps are almost 7 years old, one still on the original wetside. None of the early Jebaos I bought lasted more than a couple of years. Though I do have a few maxijets that are 7-8 years old and they were cheap.

I personally like the level of controllability of vortechs which is why I use them exclusively now. I had a trio of WAV pumps that I retired because of buzzing cords. They have a much narrower flow than the MP40 so they appear to be more powerful when they actually move about the same amount of water.

volcano1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d echo the reliability of the tunze. I’m still using some 15 years old. They are workhorses, and tolerate a lot of neglect. The biggest downside with some of the cheaper stuff is longevity. Most don’t last that long. The magnets also don’t seem to hold up well. They degrade and leach bad stuff.
Also tunze support is about the best out there. Over the long haul, I think their cost of ownership probably comes out on top in the long run.

Slim_Okrug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After few Jeabos i switched to 2x Gyre XF250. That was 3 years ago never had problem with pumps and i will never look any other product cos they are working strong till today without any problems or loosing power after month or two without cleaning. I clean mines once every 6 months. Yes they are expensive but after i changed 6 jeabos after 1+ year mark ( after they warrenty expired ) price i lost to those 6 is exact same like 2x 250 with controller. So in start maybe you spare some money but in long term you will lose more then buying quality product like maxspects. Ofc this is just mine own opinion.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KenRexford - Nice to meet ya brother!!! Well, I owned just about every powerhead on the market since I been at this for a few yrs. lol - since 1991. I have a pair of brand EcoTech MP40's that I got from @Bulk Reef Supply that will be getting installed on each side of my tank and then I will have a pair of TUNZE Turbelle Streams 6055's powerheads that are getting installed in the back of my new SCA Rimless 150, which should take care of all of the dead spots in the tank. I haven't been on here for a while b/c I needed to a break!! Anyways, I am back and I finally have all my gear to start the installation on my SCA RImless 150 build. In the end mate, you can't go wrong with either the EcoTech powerheads or TUNZE Powerheads BROTHER!! Money well spent in the end b/c these two powerhead manufacturers can take a beating, let me tell ya! My Tunze 6055's are about 2 yrs old and they run like the day I bought them! I LOVE MY TUNZE pumps - b.c I can point them in any direction I want the flow to go vs your MP40QWD's is more of a powerhead that shoots a lot of gph straight forward only so that's why they will be getting installed on each side of my SCA 150 build. When you do spend the money for better quality powerheads down the road, I would suggest the TUNZE pump cleaning kit that you can get from @Bulk Reef Supply. The kit includes a variety of brushes and some citric acid. If you want your pumps to last I would highly recommend cleaning your pumps every few months and I can guarantee they will last you a lot longer vs skipping to ones or twice a year. Actually, I enjoy cleaning all of my gear every other month - Powerheads, Protein Skimmer, Algae Scrubber, etc! Just in powerhead alone, I have around $1200 bucks just tied up in my powerhead, so it's probably a good idea to maintain them the proper way when you spend that kind of money. In the end - It will only extend the life of your pumps. Matter of fact, I am currently working on my control panels and getting all of my pumps and controllers mounted along with some wire management. After that I will be starting on the plumbing since I will be running a Synergy 20'' External Overflow box along with a CL-44 Synergy sump.

2 Controller Panels.jpeg

MP40QWD'S & a set of TUNZE Turbell
MP40QWD's & TUNZE Turbelle Nanostreams 6055's.jpg

Plumbing Examples #2.JPG

Last edited:

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One major difference is the power loss handling. While all heads CAN be backed up via UPS, they typically don't respond to being switched to backup power. The higher end heads however, will detect loss of primary power and switch to low power modes which dramatically extend the life of the backup batteries.

This is kind of a moot point if you have say a Tesla power wall.

Another thing, with the MP## heads in particular, is the magnetic coupling and keeping the cord out of the tank. As far as I know they are the only ones who offer this, and given a lack of knockoffs on the market I assume they protect that patent vigorously. I don't blame them, it's a fantastic design.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like stray voltage in your tank run hydors. I had 4 of them. Started getting shocked. Turned item after item off until i found it to be the power heads. Ended up happening with all 4. I will never buy or use another.
I liked using the cheap hydor power heads also till I noticed the wiring/insulation broke down in a year or two. If I need a 120 v cheap power head I use Tunze. MP10 and MP40 for everything else.

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone in this thread used the Tunze wavebox's? Im currently running 2x mp-10s and 1x mp-40 on my reefer 250, i was thinking of maybe switching out the mp-10s for a wavebox and another mp-40.

destro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most have covered everything I would have said about the MPXX.
-control ability
-low profile
-compatible with battery back on loss of power.

I bought two that were used 7 years ago and still operate with no issues.
I want to replace them with new ones but have no reason to replace them.

One more thing I would add is the ease of maintenance.
No cords make it easy to remove the wet side and clean. No suction cups to deal with.

They are expensive. Every time you're about to buy that frag or fish. Set aside $20 into a pump fund and you'll have enough saved in no time! :)

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone in this thread used the Tunze wavebox's? Im currently running 2x mp-10s and 1x mp-40 on my reefer 250, i was thinking of maybe switching out the mp-10s for a wavebox and another mp-40.
When I had my 300DD I used a Tunze wave Box. It was too much movement for my Frogspawn. The dead space behind it became a great pod egg producer and nothing moves water like a wave box. The newer ones look better since they are not so squared.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a few different options over the years and ultimately stuck with the Vortechs. I have two MP40s (WE) that have QD wetside that are pretty old (cant remember the dates off the top of my head but I believe 2010). I replaced the bearings on one of them but the other dry side is still all original. They're somewhat noisy (I run them at 100%) but they work great.

Our 150g has the QDs and are only seven months old. I did have an issue (overheating) with one and Ecotech provided good service. They are much quieter than the WE so that has been really nice. Big fan of nutrient transport mode!

Eliminating another power source from the water is a huge plus in my book. I just dont have anything bad to say about the Vortechs. I've dumped them in vinegar (not diluted) many times to clean them up and I've never had an issue.

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 300DD I used a Tunze wave Box. It was too much movement for my Frogspawn. The dead space behind it became a great pod egg producer and nothing moves water like a wave box. The newer ones look better since they are not so squared.

I am going bare-bottom SPS only with my new reefer 250 build. Which makes me really want to try one of these wavebox's out. I did see a video from reef builders on another reefer 250 build and the guy was using one, they look like they produce an awesome wave. I'm thinking the 2x mp-40 and wavebox combo for my 250 would be pretty solid for SPS only. Of course i wouldn't use the mp-40's to their full potential because it is only a 60gal tank. It will also give me the piece of mind of having upgraded powerhead's for the future as i go to a bigger tank later on.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 tunze 6095's on the back wall of my 120 and 2 jebao ow-25's on the sides. All running at 100%. Wanted to see how long the jebaos last at $100 for 2. 7 months in on pulse mode they are heavily encrusted with coralline and working well. With that said I am always looking for a deal on used tunze powerheads. Cant say I would by a used jeboa.
If you have the cash higher end powerheads are the way to go imo.
Here is a pic of the jebao I just took. The tunze look the same. I clean them once a month in old tank water and no acid. Eventually the will need to have the coralline removed.
20200129_060737.jpg

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocked 2 Jebao power heads in my tank for over a year. They worked well but the hassle of taking them out, with the cord still routed under my tank, to let them sit in vinegar was starting to become a hassle. I recently upgraded to one MP40 on my 40g cube and so far I like it.

You get what you pay for. I like the wet/dry side of the MP40, the features and the "reliability".

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A great in between from the Hydor and the Neptune/MP's is the Tunze .. with a reputation for longetivity as well. May not be pretty like the Neptune/MP's but still controllable models. On the low end of not as controllable but still reliable, I have been using lower flow Sicce. 1 year on and still pumping..

In my opinion there is no higher quality than Tunze in reliability. They also have Rodger who provides the best support in the industry. I have some VorTech and in reliability they are not as good as Tunze.

There might be smaller pumps, or pumps with more features, or pumps that are cheaper, pumps easier to use but when it comes to be reliable and long lasting no one beats them. The only pumps that I have had last as long are the old Maxi Jets and some Ehiems but these companies are not what they used to be.

I do run allot of Gyres and the main reason is the type and amount of flow. i just can hit more of the tank with them.
Yea they need to be cleaned a little more but you can not beat the flow.

i have a few Hydor Koralia and have been slowly replacing them with Tunze. The Koralia were on sale real cheap so I bought a bunch for my smaller tanks. They do not seem to put out the flow they say they should. They also seem to loose efficiency pretty fast.

Last edited:

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 tunze 6095's on the back wall of my 120 and 2 jebao ow-25's on the sides. All running at 100%. Wanted to see how long the jebaos last at $100 for 2. 7 months in on pulse mode they are heavily encrusted with coralline and working well. With that said I am always looking for a deal on used tunze powerheads. Cant say I would by a used jeboa.
If you have the cash higher end powerheads are the way to go imo.
Here is a pic of the jebao I just took. The tunze look the same. I clean them once a month in old tank water and no acid. Eventually the will need to have the coralline removed.
20200129_060737.jpg
More coraline on one power head than most have in a tank! :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal feeling is that the most important aspect of any powerhead is its flow pattern and velocity in relationship the the coral and aquascape. I had MP40's on a 6' tank and they were horrible. Switched to gyres and they were fantastic. If I had a 4" tank I think I would go back to MP40's. If I had a 6' tank but my aquascape didn't allow for good gyre flow I would probably put MP10's across the back of the tank.

The Hydors are great if you can handle very high flow close to the ends of your tank and still want good velocity in the middle. My tank can't.

Control-ability also comes into play. Can you get the velocity you need in the chosen pattern without being able to dial it up or down? If you can, it's a nice toy. If you can't, then being controllable is a valuable feature.

Finally, reliability comes into play along with some personal preference. Some people would prefer a cheaper pump like a jaebo that they can basically run to failure with no maintenance. Some people want a pump they can take care of and have for years.

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presumably you spend a premium on a power head either because it’s built better and will last longer or it offers features cheaper options do not... Though I do have a few maxijets that are 7-8 years old and they were cheap...
Love my MaxiJets. I've got some 1200s that are at least 20yrs old. Not pretty or fancy or silent, but they work for getting 1200 litres from A to B. When they don't work you buy a cheap impeller replacement and go again. I've never had one fail outside of normal (abusive) wear.
In my new rebuild I plan to buy Tunze for wavemaking, because they're nicer in-tank pumps.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going bare-bottom SPS only with my new reefer 250 build. Which makes me really want to try one of these wavebox's out. I did see a video from reef builders on another reefer 250 build and the guy was using one, they look like they produce an awesome wave. I'm thinking the 2x mp-40 and wavebox combo for my 250 would be pretty solid for SPS only. Of course i wouldn't use the mp-40's to their full potential because it is only a 60gal tank. It will also give me the piece of mind of having upgraded powerhead's for the future as i go to a bigger tank later on.

I am thinking about similar set up on my reefer 250 build too. I am trying to decide between 2x MP40QD and Tunze wavebox or 2x Nero 5 and Tunze wavebox.

Nero 5 has rave reviews and I like it that you can angle them but cord in the water. Nero 5 can put out up to 3000 gph as well and also works for nano tanks. Very versatle.

You can't angle MP40 but I like them that no cord in the water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back