Best salt in 2025?

If quality is number 1, neither IO salt even cracks the top 10 for me 😂
Why? It has a long track record of successful tanks. My ICP was never out of wack during the time I’ve exclusively used it.

I don’t care about precipitation in my mixing brute.
 
If precipitation is that big of a problem then a simple sediment filter on the mixing pump goes a long way
 
I've been really happy with the Nyos Pure salt. It occasionally goes on sale at BRS. Last time I ordered it on sale, it was around $80 a bucket. The bags are $10 cheaper, but they haven't been in stock the few times I needed to order it
 
IO for year's.
Esv for 2 years.
I did 10% WC's every week for longer than I care to think about, lol.
I now run blue bucket across 4 systems.
It's close to what I run parameter wise. It mixes clean and is ready to.go as soon as temp is reached.
I only do 5% a month on 3 systems and my nano is 1g every 2 weeks so only 16g's a month. One bucket last around 10 months so montly WC's only cost around $8.
 
Why? It has a long track record of successful tanks. My ICP was never out of wack during the time I’ve exclusively used it.

I don’t care about precipitation in my mixing brute.
Agreed, most LFS use Instant Ocean only like POTO. Reef Crystals is what Tidal Gardens use. I wouldn't knock those salts just because they're economical.
 
Why? It has a long track record of successful tanks. My ICP was never out of wack during the time I’ve exclusively used it.

I don’t care about precipitation in my mixing brute.

Because it is normal and expected for it to have alkalinity at 9 or 11 or anywhere in between. They set forth no standard or grade of the ingredients they use.

It is noticeably dirtier than other salts.

I am not judging the quality based on "it keeps successful tanks"...99% of salts do that and I find that to be a poor metric of how quality a salt is. Like saying a steak from Sizzler and a steak from Ruth's Chris are the same because they are both beef and neither one killed someone eating it. If not dying is the criteria, then they must be the same. Same for salts. Anyone that says salt is salt needs to clarify that poistion and just how they are judging each one.

I look for finer nuances to judge the quality of a salt. Again, if price is super important than I recommend IO all the time.
 
If quality is number 1, neither IO salt even cracks the top 10 for me 😂

If going off price alone, then IO purple is my choice if you can find it on a deal

If you want the absolute cleanest and most consistent, probably ESV. It really is the best way to go about it. As of late, their pricing is very fair as well. You can get the 200 gallon refill for like $100. That’s only $0.50 a gallon.

If you want a premixed powder, then NYOS and TM Pro are my go to
Like for TM Pro
 
Because it is normal and expected for it to have alkalinity at 9 or 11 or anywhere in between. They set forth no standard or grade of the ingredients they use.

It is noticeably dirtier than other salts.

I am not judging the quality based on "it keeps successful tanks"...99% of salts do that and I find that to be a poor metric of how quality a salt is. Like saying a steak from Sizzler and a steak from Ruth's Chris are the same because they are both beef and neither one killed someone eating it. If not dying is the criteria, then they must be the same. Same for salts. Anyone that says salt is salt needs to clarify that poistion and just how they are judging each one.

I look for finer nuances to judge the quality of a salt. Again, if price is super important than I recommend IO all the time.
Not a fair comparison using sizzler and ruth chris.
Steaks from sizzler are consistently bad while steaks from ruth chris can periodically be bad
At least instant ocean isn't consistently bad 🤣
 
Reef Crystals for me. I adjust the alk down to 8.5 dkh with Seachem Acid Buffer. It has always been consistent in the parameters I test for. I have video documentation on what happened when I tried to switch, it wasn’t pretty. But if you like your salt, stick with it. There is no “best” for everyone though, it’s a Coke and Pepsi debate.

Vhs Pepsi GIF
 
Fritz blue box from saltwateraquarium.com when it goes on sale. I found if I keep the mixing pump going for 2-3 days after mixing in my brute 44 gallon container I get zero brown crud. I end up dosing to get it to the DT levels. Seeing so many using IO purple is surprising
 
It is noticeably dirtier than other salts.
The precipitation could be a self purifying mechanism, just like with kalkwasser.

I am not judging the quality based on "it keeps successful tanks"...99% of salts do that and I find that to be a poor metric of how quality a salt is.
If a salt brand has the ability to produce decades worth of successful and stunning tanks, I’m not sure what specific problem a “pure” salt is solving. Seems like a marketing ploy.

Like saying a steak from Sizzler and a steak from Ruth's Chris are the same because they are both beef and neither one killed someone eating it. If not dying is the criteria, then they must be the same. Same for salts. Anyone that says salt is salt needs to clarify that poistion and just how they are judging each one.
We’re not talking about steaks, though. That’s not a valid comparison.


What exactly are you defining as ‘dirty’ or ‘clean’ salt? Are there specific markers or measurable contaminants that classify one as ‘dirty’? Who’s setting these standards, and what evidence is there that using a ‘dirty’ salt has a measurable negative impact?


To me, a proper salt should contain major, minor, and trace elements in natural seawater ratios, minimal organic matter, and negligible excess nutrients. IO checks those boxes for me, so what specific advantages does a so-called ‘clean’ salt provide beyond that?
 
I researched for a while before tank was up and going. My favorite tanks all seemed to use TM pro. So that’s what I decided on. Usually can get it for about the same price as IO through petco. Order online & pick up (cheaper), coupon/sales, and usually create new email for first time online purchase :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Last bucket was $65 plus tax for 200 gallon.
 
I’d like to resume regular water changes in-house instead of depending on NSW deliveries sporadically.

I’ve primarily used IO Purple in the past because it was one of the most affordable options with a proven track record.

Now that the prices have increased, I’m curious if there are any competing options worth considering.


My tank is large, so I’d like to save on salt. I still want the brand to be reliable and good quality. Quality is the top priority, with price coming in as a close second.

What is the best salt in 2025?
I think there's been quite a few tests and no consensus on this question.

THe answer I think is best is use a salt that mixes to the ALK you want to maintain.
 
The precipitation could be a self purifying mechanism, just like with kalkwasser.


If a salt brand has the ability to produce decades worth of successful and stunning tanks, I’m not sure what specific problem a “pure” salt is solving. Seems like a marketing ploy.


We’re not talking about steaks, though. That’s not a valid comparison.


What exactly are you defining as ‘dirty’ or ‘clean’ salt? Are there specific markers or measurable contaminants that classify one as ‘dirty’? Who’s setting these standards, and what evidence is there that using a ‘dirty’ salt has a measurable negative impact?


To me, a proper salt should contain major, minor, and trace elements in natural seawater ratios, minimal organic matter, and negligible excess nutrients. IO checks those boxes for me, so what specific advantages does a so-called ‘clean’ salt provide beyond that?

Why did you ask about best salt if you’re just going to argue any point that doesn’t confirm IO as the best? You already decided what salt you wanted.

IMG_0047.jpeg
 
Why did you ask about best salt if you’re just going to argue any point that doesn’t confirm IO as the best? You already decided what salt you wanted.

IMG_0047.jpeg
I think the intention seemed to be "are there any salts that are comparable in price with better performance?" without realizing that there are places that still sell purple IO for under $60 a box
 
I normally buy it where its cheapest. I use Auto ship at Petco sometimes and then cancel. Chewy has boxes and I just received a code dor $30 off $100 so I'm going to order 2. I bought a box at my LFS last time up I think dor $53
Screenshot_20250519-150621.png

This is typically what I do as well.
 
Reef Crystals for me. I adjust the alk down to 8.5 dkh with Seachem Acid Buffer. It has always been consistent in the parameters I test for. I have video documentation on what happened when I tried to switch, it wasn’t pretty. But if you like your salt, stick with it. There is no “best” for everyone though, it’s a Coke and Pepsi debate.

Vhs Pepsi GIF

Every time I go to switch iv ran into issues as well, attempted it several times over the years. Maybe they put crack into IO? Would explain the withdraws :face-with-tears-of-joy:
 
I think the intention seemed to be "are there any salts that are comparable in price with better performance?" without realizing that there are places that still sell purple IO for under $60 a box
Yes. This is what I was trying to ask.


Why did you ask about best salt if you’re just going to argue any point that doesn’t confirm IO as the best? You already decided what salt you wanted.
You said IO wasn’t in your top 10, so I asked about it, but your response led me having more questions than answers.

I’m not here to waste anyone’s time. I was open to switching brands if the price was lower but with a similar quality as IO.

Spending over $100 for 200 gal of salt is kind of outrageous to me. I don’t agree that IO is so bad that it doesn’t reach the top 10…but oh well.
 
Spending over $100 for 200 gal of salt is kind of outrageous to me. I don’t agree that IO is so bad that it doesn’t reach the top 10…but oh well.

My understanding is the more expensive salt typically contains more mag which is expensive to refine. Outside of that sure IO isnt the cleanest but I can wipe out my container after mixing :grinning-face-with-sweat: Guess we pay for mag and cleaner product at that point
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new