best SPS light?

brandon p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. I hope to be buying a new light today for my 29gal SPS dominant tank. I'd like to make it all SPS and I'd like to be able to put acros 1/3-1/2 way down instead of just on top. What's the best and what's the most popular? I was looking at Kessil but IDK, should I get one 360WE or 2 160s??? Please help. I'm also willing to entertain other ideas. I'm willing to pay for quality to an extent. Thanks

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No light will guarantee success with SPS corals, if your not able to maintain proper water chemistry the best lights will not help you succeed. With that said I also run reef breeders and have a SPS tank with good results. If money is not an option then Radions would be a good choice either 1 of the X30 or 2 X15, Kessils are also good lights. I ran cheap black boxes for a couple of years and grew SPS corals. Really is a difficult question to answer so many factors are at play, but if you stick with the name brand lights that have been around for several years you really can't go wrong. Also I would get something with upgrade in mind you are almost certainly going to want to upgrade from a 29 gallon tank eventually.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You will get answers based on what others own. I personally have an love Orphek as well as Ai hydra 26 lights

OP
OP
B

brandon p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a double Kessil 360X package a few hours after I posted. I’ve read a lot of posts/replies, watched several online vids comparing the top choices. I have been saving for 2 years basically. I keep hearing about planning ahead. I’ll rent a par meter but will likely be running these (2) 360Xs at like 30% each but I’ll be able to keep these quality lights for years to come and actually even be able to move them with me to much larger tanks. I also keep hearing about “Kessil shimmer”. Also, a solid reputation helped the decision.
Ive been there already (5 times, actually) with cheap lights. For what I’ve thrown away on cheap lights...coulda just got these Kessils to begin with.
But thanks everyone for your input. As always- dang near priceless

tjclapp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. I hope to be buying a new light today for my 29gal SPS dominant tank. I'd like to make it all SPS and I'd like to be able to put acros 1/3-1/2 way down instead of just on top. What's the best and what's the most popular? I was looking at Kessil but IDK, should I get one 360WE or 2 160s??? Please help. I'm also willing to entertain other ideas. I'm willing to pay for quality to an extent. Thanks
I would really consider checking out the noopsyche k7 pro ii... it’s extremely cheap on Aquariumlowcost. I have had it on my frag tank for 6 months and couldn’t be any happier with my growth!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best for what? This is all subjective.

For pure performance, Metal Halide will still dominate. For plug and play ease, then 6 bulb T5. Photon v2 for a good blend of cost, channels and performance from a LED. For apps, tricks and coolness, then maybe some techy LEDs.

IMO, kessil is one of the worst lights that you can get for acropora - they just don't get it done by themselves and you nearly always see T5s along with them that end up carrying the day.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Reefi LEDs. I swapped to them from MH/T5 approximately 21 days ago and have since fallen in love with them. The unique thing with the Reefis is their lack of side-glare, which helps prevent you from being blinded when looking at the tank from a seated position.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No light will guarantee success with SPS corals, if your not able to maintain proper water chemistry the best lights will not help you succeed. With that said I also run reef breeders and have a SPS tank with good results.

That should be a sticky and gets my 150% approval, but if people listened to that comment like they should we wouldn't have meaningless forum traffic about UV LEDs and full spectrum nonsense. I mean, how is it possible to grow SPS without blue tooth and firmware updates? Blasphemy :)

Grown SPS with halides , tubes, DIY everything, LEDs, etc.

Always liked Reef Breeders. Personally I would start with a Mars Aqua and save money. Wont entirely cover a 29 standard but you can always get another one later.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta disagree a bit. While lights alone will get you nowhere, having good lights can be a bit of deodorant for other things. Lights are the most important thing since they are the only source of true food for most corals. I firmly believe the that best lights and middling level of water quality and stability will get you farther than the best water quality and stability with middling lights.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta disagree a bit. While lights alone will get you nowhere, having good lights can be a bit of deodorant for other things. Lights are the most important thing since they are the only source of true food for most corals. I firmly believe the that best lights and middling level of water quality and stability will get you farther than the best water quality and stability with middling lights.
Do you think forum opinion is the best way to find the best light leprechaun?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back