best SPS light?

Djsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 kessil 360x and t5 combo above for 55 gallon tank for a year and my acros were growing..... not much though. I traded them out for xr15 g5 blues and boom, they are exploding and the color is awesome. The shimmer and the deep blue was nice... but I want them to grow lol

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReeFi Duo Extreme. I’ve been running mine for almost a year with no issues. SPS are growing like crazy and have great color. See Dana’s review below:

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. I hope to be buying a new light today for my 29gal SPS dominant tank. I'd like to make it all SPS and I'd like to be able to put acros 1/3-1/2 way down instead of just on top. What's the best and what's the most popular? I was looking at Kessil but IDK, should I get one 360WE or 2 160s??? Please help. I'm also willing to entertain other ideas. I'm willing to pay for quality to an extent. Thanks

What made you get two 360x's? You mention upgrading later...

For my first tank, I have a 19" cube (33 gallons). Debating 1 360x or 1 A160, with the option to add another A160 if I go SPS (plan on softies and LPS initially). Later option means not overpaying on an oversized light, with an upgrade path for more light that also helps with shadowing and provides redundancy.

But there are other ways of looking at it... wondering what made you turn away from the A160s.

MSOEME2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea ReefLED 90. I run it at 65% blue and 20% white on a 20 nuvo penn. with SPS and high end zoas. Grows great. I like single lens LEDs, I used to have Kessil on my old tank. This is better. Just remember new sps need time to acclimate and you will lose it in a day with too much light but will too little won’t hurt you. I put on sand bed and move a little every week. Some of them took some time adjusting but now grow like weeds. Light is only part of the equation tho...

ReefVille

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. I hope to be buying a new light today for my 29gal SPS dominant tank. I'd like to make it all SPS and I'd like to be able to put acros 1/3-1/2 way down instead of just on top. What's the best and what's the most popular? I was looking at Kessil but IDK, should I get one 360WE or 2 160s??? Please help. I'm also willing to entertain other ideas. I'm willing to pay for quality to an extent. Thanks
Red Sea LED 50 or 90 depending on the size of tank. Color is phenomenal, easy to adjust app for spectrums or custom, and as far as spread and par they won’t be beat. Not to mention one of the cheapest options there is, the 90 is comparable to the xr30 radion. My g5 15 is running 100% and my RedSea 90 is at 40% with still a higher hot spot closer to the Red Sea. CHECK OUT The video from BRS on the RSLED. ( only downside is losing connectivity nonstop, not a problem for me as I check the camera periodically )

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running Orphek Atlantik V4 Gen2’s on my Acro dominated tank.

My mother colonies have improved dramatically since switching from Hydra’s. All my new frags are encrusting.

I have a few acro frags all the way at the bottom of my 30 inch tall tank and they are encrusting with good color. Lights are super powerful it seems.

Switched to the Atlantik’s about 4 months ago.
Hi
May i ask what program you run on Atlantik?

Swr377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is one piece of making a successful SPS (Stability Promotes Success) tank and asking that it is like do you like Coke or Pepsi and the "opinions" will be all over the place. Do your research besides taking input from others.

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea LED 50 or 90 depending on the size of tank. Color is phenomenal, easy to adjust app for spectrums or custom, and as far as spread and par they won’t be beat. Not to mention one of the cheapest options there is, the 90 is comparable to the xr30 radion. My g5 15 is running 100% and my RedSea 90 is at 40% with still a higher hot spot closer to the Red Sea. CHECK OUT The video from BRS on the RSLED. ( only downside is losing connectivity nonstop, not a problem for me as I check the camera periodically )

How do you like the color from your Red Sea LED? I've seen one at a store and it looked pinkish. But the tank was full of cyano so hard to tell.

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Ocean Revive T247B’s on my 4th and have no issues keeping a mixed tank. SPS looking great! Also, they’re very economical.

Saltysav96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best SPS light i ever did was ATI t5 and orphek led bars,

while ive ran radion in the past and have had decent luck with them. seen a bunch of amazing tanks under them.

my new build I decided to go with GHL mitras. Ive also seen amazing tanks under them. My new tank is only 2 months old so i dont have the “pictures” to back it up but ive done a good bit of research on GHL products and its all

A lx7204 would have lit that tank perfectly.

GHL mitras are more powerful then a radion

Produces more par at 90% then a radion at 100% and has better spread and blending then radion,

there is a guy on here that has tested that.

JCalypso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my red sea lighting for all corals

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halides are too hot and also inefficient.... drives up the electric bill like mad!

T5 bulbs fade after 10 months... high replacement cost... and actinic bulvs are pretty poor.

LEDs are very directional, prone to shadows and disco ball effect.... except Kessils, but they do a lousy job with SPS.

A T5 combo with some good LED actinic strips is a great combo...

i use all LED strips and by angling them in different directions, it eliminates shadows.

jasonw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using orphek V4 for 1year+ and growth is fast just the look of the sps will be like T5 feel not blue enough unless add more orphek Bar

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Reefi LEDs. I swapped to them from MH/T5 approximately 21 days ago and have since fallen in love with them. The unique thing with the Reefis is their lack of side-glare, which helps prevent you from being blinded when looking at the tank from a seated position.
do you have any pics of your tank? Wow Like Wow! I just looked them up and crazy color pop! Is that for real or do you think they are using special lens on camera. I wento their website. Thinking of buying one. Being its 135 watts that will be plenty for a 36 gallon bowfront! Well, do you think one would be since its 30 inches wide? Its 11 at the ends but 15 in the middle where the bow ids. Does having all those differ spectrums give more pop or is it the glare thing? It looks really cool when you look up and just send the color of the lens and not a big white glare looking back at you as well. I was thinking about radions and even noopsyche but I was thinking when I upgrade soon to my 120 gallon I would probably need only but was planning on 4 radions, so if I get 3 I would be saving money and they look pretty large so that 3 would look nice on a tank that size. Do you know how wide they are? Dont see dimensions

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really consider checking out the noopsyche k7 pro ii... it’s extremely cheap on Aquariumlowcost. I have had it on my frag tank for 6 months and couldn’t be any happier with my growth!
Do yu think that light is legit? I am thinking of ordering a few? How long did it take to recieve. Ihave heard from noop usa that they are fake but i have huge doubts that they are so thought I wold ask someone who owns one. How is the color pop? Thanks in a advance!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back