Best webcam for the Neptune Apex reef controller

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang, I wanted to ask your opion on which webcams work well with the Apex. I am setting up my new build would like to add a webcame in my new fish room to watch the gear. If any of you are running one could you share you info please. Thanks gang.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know as well what webcam will integrate with Apex fusion. I take it that is what you meant by work well with apex.
Last I checked, which was a while back, Apex fusion web cam integration uses really old obsolete technology that works with like really old foscam. All current webcams uses AWS or similar cloud account for connection, so no port forwarding is needed, and as far as
I can tell, none of those work with apex fusion. for now, just using the webcam smartphone app works just fine, its just not integrated to apex fusion. I use YI cam and wyze cam, but there are others as well.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a cheap one from eBay but it uses RTSP which isn’t really port forwardable so could not hook it up to Apex fusion. My son however built me a great little Raspberry Pi based unit which works a treat.

I’m working on a 2nd tank at the moment and plan to look into the Kasa cameras for that but haven’t checked their compatibility yet. I do know that others have reported the Nest cameras work well.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D-Link DCS-936L Setup with Apex Fusion Video Cam Success!!! With Instructions
Hello All,
Took a stab today at hooking up a D-Link 936L IP Camera to Fusion. So I did tons of research on the model and configurations.
Here is what I found to work the best. Could possibly work with other models......

1: Use this in the URL Settings of Apex Fusion Camera:

http://(Username): Password)@(External IP): port)/video/mjpg.cgi
Example : http://admin:[email protected]:9191/video/mjpg.cgi

Setup:
2: Username and Password are set in the DLink Advanced Setup...

3: External IP is your ISP's IP Address, not internally assigned ip router IP for Example (192.... or 10.1.....) Do Not use These!!!

4: Set a static IP address for the camera in the Dlink Advanced Setup so the internal never changes. Here you do use a local 192.168.1.12.... or 10.0.0.100. Just pick an available IP that isn't being used. (192.186.1.25) For Example..... Make sure this doesn't conflict with anything that already grabbed this router IP address...

5: Set the Local Gateway (Router IP address) in Dlink Advanced Setup.

6: Set the HTTP Port in Dlink Advanced. I used 9191.

7: Port Forwarding in your Router. Set up a port forward to the static IP that you setup in Dlink Setup and add the port that you used in the Dlink Setup as well....

This worked like a charm for me. The only down side was the only browser that works with my command line is Mozilla. Chrome, Edge, and IE will not work unless you enter the url in another browser Window open it up, video goes on. Then you can start Fusion and video works. Mozilla works without the previous step.

By following these steps you can use either your local or external IP address to view your camera locally. Makes more sense to use the External so if you leave your Home Network, you can use the cam anywhere....
App works flawlessly...

I work in the IT field and thought this could be of help...

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are much better off getting one through it's own app, and forget the Fusion. Better features, simpler to operate, volume, motion. I've seen a few though fusion and wasnt impressed.
Wyze, $25, perfect to watch your tank when you are away

100% Agree with above. Ring now has Cams for $50 bucks that tie into your ring system. Just a question of Mounting them.

coastal_kid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a cheap one from eBay but it uses RTSP which isn’t really port forwardable so could not hook it up to Apex fusion. My son however built me a great little Raspberry Pi based unit which works a treat.

I’m working on a 2nd tank at the moment and plan to look into the Kasa cameras for that but haven’t checked their compatibility yet. I do know that others have reported the Nest cameras work well.

I have a raspberry pi (Version 2 Model B ) with a camera. I'd like to set up something like that. Can you or your son point me to some web pages or a tutorial about how you got it working?

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a raspberry pi (Version 2 Model B ) with a camera. I'd like to set up something like that. Can you or your son point me to some web pages or a tutorial about how you got it working?
I’m afraid I don’t have any links or tutorials that he used. Here is what he said about the build.

‘Hey dad it was a raspberry pi zero wifi and a raspberry pi v2 camera then just a headless os and I installed that pi cam app which got the best results for the camera. It was getting the right combo of software and camera config that was the most difficult!’

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
Took a stab today at hooking up a D-Link 936L IP Camera to Fusion. So I did tons of research on the model and configurations.
Here is what I found to work the best. Could possibly work with other models......

Setup:

3: External IP is your ISP's IP Address, not internally assigned ip router IP for Example (192.... or 10.1.....) Do Not use These!!!

4: Set a static IP address for the camera in the Dlink Advanced Setup so the internal never changes. Here you do use a local 192.168.1.12.... or 10.0.0.100. Just pick an available IP that isn't being used. (192.186.1.25) For Example..... Make sure this doesn't conflict with anything that already grabbed this router IP address...

7: Port Forwarding in your Router. Set up a port forward to the static IP that you setup in Dlink Setup and add the port that you used in the Dlink Setup as well....

This worked like a charm for me. The only down side was the only browser that works with my command line is Mozilla. Chrome, Edge, and IE will not work unless you enter the url in another browser Window open it up, video goes on. Then you can start Fusion and video works. Mozilla works without the previous step.

By following these steps you can use either your local or external IP address to view your camera locally. Makes more sense to use the External so if you leave your Home Network, you can use the cam anywhere....
App works flawlessly...

That camera has sound. Can you disabled the sound?
I really do not want someone to hack my system and be listening to me in my house. They can look at my fish tank all day, I don't care.

jmwboricua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are much better off getting one through it's own app, and forget the Fusion. Better features, simpler to operate, volume, motion. I've seen a few though fusion and wasnt impressed.
Wyze, $25, perfect to watch your tank when you are away
I have a bunch if the Wyze......I would like to know if this cameras can be added to the fusion app...

falcor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Setup:

App works flawlessly...

Most people do not have static public addresses at home

marin8n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried for years to get D-Link and other cams to work right with Fusion. Wyze is cheap, easy, and you can watch multiple angles or put one in your sump, etc to monitor your equipment as well

Nano Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it easy to do with the Wyze cam? Does it still work with the Wyze app or no because of the modded firmware?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back