OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Gorg's, how many did you just add?
I ordered seven and received eight :)

And what's KPA?
KP Aquatics, aka Sealife, Inc. Sea Life Inc.

Run by two people that go and collect everything, Kara and Philipp. Got to actually meet Philipp and pick up some live rock from him, he's really cool, got to hear a lot about their process and some cool stuff about the business :)

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely do if you're looking for anything Caribbean - their prices are unreal for what you get. My order was $180 including shipping and tax, and I got so much for it!

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went and bought some frosted window film from Home Depot today. Was a real ***** to install, and it doesn't look all that great. Yay!

fts.gif

Muriceopsis flavida
gorgonian.gif

IMG_9444.jpg

I keep forgetting I have the camera in manual mode, so some of the pics are a little too dark.
IMG_9448.jpg

IMG_9451.jpg

Already shedding.
IMG_9452.jpg

And after nearly two weeks of being closed up tight, my green leather is coming back around :)
IMG_9461.jpg

Maroon clown is a bit beat up, but that's ok, whatever it takes to keep it male. It also is only allowed near the anemone at night.
IMG_9486.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops, forgot about this thread. :)

I added a 55w UV Sterilizer as a test to see if it will affect the dinos any. Been running since 11/4, but not sure if it has really had an effect as I've also been doing 3-day blackouts at the end of every other week. Hopefully this is a one-two punch that keeps them dormant. I don't mind the $30/yr to buy a new 55w UV bulb.
IMG_20141103_194716574.jpg

I also removed my sandbed on 11/14 and put down white HDPE, aka 'starboard'. I had it cut in two pieces so that I would not need to remove all the rocks and stuff to place it in. I did this in order to give the dinoflagellates a less-rough surface to try and cling to. I don't particularly like the no-sand look, but the white looks worlds better than having nothing there at all.
IMG_9648.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9666.jpg

Too much rock over here, but these rocks have some of the prettiest feather dusters I have that are inside the rock (not like stuck to the side or anything), so I'll deal for now.
IMG_9674.jpg

My black clown has been developing this orange stripe on its back. Wat.
IMG_9681.jpg

Got a powder brown tang on 11/21. Loves LRS and both him and the rabbitfish love the gracilaria I collected for them :)
IMG_9721.jpg

Here is the sargassum trigger I got 11/18. He is getting much more active now that he is adjusted more to the tank life, and feeding LRS 'Herbivore Frenzy' really makes him go nuts! He is tubby :)
IMG_9728.jpg

LOOK AT HOW TUBBY. ONE TUBBY TUBBY. TWO TUBBY TUBBY.
IMG_9735.jpg

And I FINALLY found the molly I was looking for. Took me a year and a half to find another. This one is a male, and survived the drop straight from freshwater to full salt, no acclimation, and does not mind the high flow of the tank.
IMG_9741.jpg

I checked a couple of rock schmutz samples like I have been under a microscope. Instead of the typical 20-30 each dead and live dinos, I found zero dead and two live. Improvement? seems like it! Between the 55w UV sterilizer and 3-day blackouts every other week or so it seems to be doing something. Maybe.

nanokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks amazing and I love your coral and fish selection. The Gorgs are gorgeous. I've bought two scribbled rabbit fish (one online and one local) and both died within a few weeks even though they were eating and showed no signs of stress. Those are the only two fish that have ever died in my 14 years of reef keeping. I'm going to have to setup a quarantine take for the next one. I have a bubble algae problem that I'd really like a rabbitfish to help out with.

Where did you buy your's?

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks amazing and I love your coral and fish selection. The Gorgs are gorgeous. I've bought two scribbled rabbit fish (one online and one local) and both died within a few weeks even though they were eating and showed no signs of stress. Those are the only two fish that have ever died in my 14 years of reef keeping. I'm going to have to setup a quarantine take for the next one. I have a bubble algae problem that I'd really like a rabbitfish to help out with.

Where did you buy your's?
This is my third S. doliatus, all three from Diver's Den. I've long battled a very, very hardy strain of ich, and I presume that is what got the first two. With that being said, they are extremely hardy fish but don't always come without complications. All three were received with internal worms, though, so I would make sure to run through a round of praziquantel.

nanokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my third S. doliatus, all three from Diver's Den. I've long battled a very, very hardy strain of ich, and I presume that is what got the first two. With that being said, they are extremely hardy fish but don't always come without complications. All three were received with internal worms, though, so I would make sure to run through a round of praziquantel.

More great info. I will definitely do that once I have a quarantine setup. I really want any further fish I buy to live. It's the little things that count. ;-)

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before we get to the scaping, look at my purigen! Yikes! This is what it looks like after a five day blackout, full of dino toxins! Yum!
IMG_0051.jpg

But a little bleach and an hour and we get this:
IMG_0069.jpg

I got a Canon nifty fifty. I like it, but still gotta get used to it. This is all autofocus, it's not easy to do manual on such a small lens lol
IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

On to the scape!
IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

The new goni. Still not full polyp extension, but I've moved it around like nine times today while scaping lol
IMG_0167.jpg

Bubbles is like uh, what
IMG_0076.jpg

Clyde is all OMG WHAT
IMG_0064.jpg

Tinycat is all just let me sleep.
IMG_0059.jpg

Took a few more pics before the lights went out.

Scarlet hermit from reefcleaners harassing one of my euplica snails lol
IMG_0174.jpg

The gang.
IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Very excitedly) got some shots of the green banded goby today.

gbg2.gif

gbg1.gif

IMG_0303.jpg

Top down of the clown/nem.
IMG_0322.jpg

Picasa darkened this pic, but can anyone guess what this is? :)
IMG_0346.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great shots man! I have thought about getting a nifty fifty at well!

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a great little lens. Manual focus ring is a little close to the camera body for my taste, I never use autofocus, so it makes it a bit harder to do so. Pics come out sharp, even sharper than my sister's Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 did, and that was some good glass.

Thanks rev!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back