Big dead coral how do I clean it???

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I was given this hunk of coral from a friend I'm sure it has sat out side for some time couse their are some dirt and leafs on the bottom of it what should do to clean it or can it even be clean and put in the tank? What would you do with it?

1360980652238.jpg

1360980673830.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first concern would be if it sat outside long enough to absorb lawn treatments, pesticide, etc (you said it has dirt and leaves on/in it, it may have sat on the ground). If not, I would clean it with bleach, rinse it, and let it sit outside until it doesn't smell like bleach. Then you could use it. A lot of folks with fish only tanks use coral skeletons for decoration.

OP
OP
bigkai

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to put it in my sump. It has lots of surface area and would make a great live rock some day not to mention the fact it is made out of pure calcium LOL.

RavePartyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boil it, boil it again and leave it soaked in fresh water for a few days I would say. There is a risk it could have sat somewhere dirty, but maybe it's safe. Ask your friend where did he get it from....or where it was kept at...
BTW, GREAT table cloth underneath it...GO GATORS!!

OP
OP
bigkai

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about bleaching it as far as boiling it I don't got any thing big enuff to put it in I guess I could brake it. What about a acid bath? Or would that just eat up lol. Oh yes my wife is a huge gators fan that stuff is all over our house.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I had fish only tanks with wet/dry filters, I used the coral skeletons like that for decorations. I had 2 complete sets.
When one set would start getting algae growing on it I would remove it and soak it in a bleach/water solution overnight.
Then soak it in a freshwater with 4x- 5x the recommended dose of a decholinator.
Let it dry for a few days and was ready for its turn in the tank.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had fish only tanks with wet/dry filters, I used the coral skeletons like that for decorations. I had 2 complete sets.
When one set would start getting algae growing on it I would remove it and soak it in a bleach/water solution overnight.
Then soak it in a freshwater with 4x- 5x the recommended dose of a decholinator.
Let it dry for a few days and was ready for its turn in the tank.

This is exactly what I would do. If you go the bleach route, do not forget to use a dechlorinator. If it still smells like bleach, soak it again in water with a dechlorinator until there is no bleach smell.

OP
OP
bigkai

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I soaked it in bleach for 24 hours than renced it off and got every little piece of dirt and pine needle out and soaked it in water with decloranater and now soaking it in to water.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would throw it in the trash.

OP
OP
bigkai

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm letting the coral rock dry now it has no smell at all and is very clean and very white. Thanking about cureing it for a week or two just to make sure it will be ok. Any thoughts?

shse666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it. Let whatever is left after the bleach cure out in salt water and put that bad boy to use.
Or just send it here. We have ways of using dead corals. :p

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would throw it in the trash.

Ha! For me it would be depressing to see a dead coral in my tank, considering we are always trying to keep corals alive in our tanks it would feel wrong to put a dead one in my display! But hey- to each his own!

OP
OP
bigkai

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad thing is I had to brake it in 3 pieces to fit in the 5 gallon bucket.
1361541947633.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well I'm letting the coral rock dry now it has no smell at all and is very clean and very white. Thanking about cureing it for a week or two just to make sure it will be ok. Any thoughts?

It should be good to go now.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would'nt put it in my DT personally, iv had peices like that, youl end up with them covered in hair algae or some other form, and none of your CuC or grazing fish will be able to clean it completely, it will be more of a hastle, IMO you should just grow a birdsnest like that, it will look better, not have algae of over it, and be alot less maintnence. Honestly is it worth taking out and cleaning every other week?

I feel like you shouldnt remove any of your aquascaping to clean, it should all be easily accessable for grazers, and CuC to clean/ feed off of. A Peice like that will just cause trouble in the long run.

OP
OP
bigkai

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would'nt put it in my DT personally, iv had peices like that, youl end up with them covered in hair algae or some other form, and none of your CuC or grazing fish will be able to clean it completely, it will be more of a hastle, IMO you should just grow a birdsnest like that, it will look better, not have algae of over it, and be alot less maintnence. Honestly is it worth taking out and cleaning every other week?

I feel like you shouldnt remove any of your aquascaping to clean, it should all be easily accessable for grazers, and CuC to clean/ feed off of. A Peice like that will just cause trouble in the long run.

Good point never thought about algae growing down in side of it thank it would be good enuff for refug

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Very nice.
But I would have to agree to not use it in your tank.
IMO would only use the coral skeleton as a decoration in a fish only tank without live rock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back