Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, this thread is just pure gold.

Thank you very much for your advice.

You have a incredible way of approaching the hobbie, and the colors, growth and health you achieve are the undeniable proof.

Thank You, your comments are very appreciated.

AcroFan144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your approach to flow in SPS dominated tanks, mostly Acropora? Is there a tank turnover range you are shooting for?

Any visual indiciations that the corals are getting too little/too much flow? Thanks!

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to see flow surrounding the coral from multiple angles and also heavy enough so they don't spindly branches.

Unless your ripping or the growth pattern is all bent one way than the flow is fine.

This is probably max flow I like.........you can have less and be ok, but you do want to see those polyps moving pretty good.
Flow video by Big E 52, on Flickr

It would be better to have a laminar type flow back and forth, but that's hard to do in our systems, sa chaotic type flow is fine. Most people with mixed reefs will probably have less flow, but I think if you want to cater to the acros than don't have Lps that don't like heavy flow.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing.....that's why there haven't been any meaningful posts:)

I have been focused on buying a larger tank and trying to thin things out.............setting up a 40 breeder short term to create room.
I would still love to see a picture update! Glad to hear all is well!

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ed,

Just wanted to let you know how much I love the coral I got from you. It's been a slow grower for me, but it has definitely become my fav. Thanks again.

Joe in NY

BigE.JPG

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joe, great job, that's beautiful! Yes, it's slow grower but well worth the wait once it grows into a large colony.

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank @Big E just wanted to ask you, what bulbs would you recommend on a 6bulb t5 fixture?

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternating starting with blue+ at front of tank

Thank you for the reply! Last two questions, what height would you recommend setting the t5s and do you light acclimate the corals and if so whats your method? Thank you again!

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
6-8" off the surface --- it depends on how deep your tank is. 24" deep I'd have it at 6" and see how corals respond.

New corals I put low at the beginning if they are light/pale. If the zoo is heavier I'll put the corals higher.

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-8" off the surface --- it depends on how deep your tank is. 24" deep I'd have it at 6" and see how corals respond.

New corals I put low at the beginning if they are light/pale. If the zoo is heavier I'll put the corals higher.

I believe my tank is 22 inches deep :) and how long do you keep them lower for? and by higher like at the forever spot immediately for the zoo heavier corals or like mid way up on a frag rack or?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the corals are light/pale I place them at the bottom of the tank til more zoo fills in. At this point I don't care about color......if they brown up a little that's fine. Once they are ok you're good to place them anywhere in the upper 2/3rds of the tank. In your 22" depth that would be approx 14-16" deep to the surface.

The lower 6-7" are for smooth skin acros as they don't need the higher light.

Some acros will also do good even 6-7 inchs from the tank bottom. This is more experimental and you just have to see what type of colors you can pull.

Most well know corals have a history of best placement.

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the corals are light/pale I place them at the bottom of the tank til more zoo fills in. At this point I don't care about color......if they brown up a little that's fine. Once they are ok you're good to place them anywhere in the upper 2/3rds of the tank. In your 22" depth that would be approx 14-16" deep to the surface.

The lower 6-7" are for smooth skin acros as they don't need the higher light.

Some acros will also do good even 6-7 inchs from the tank bottom. This is more experimental and you just have to see what type of colors you can pull.

Most well know corals have a history of best placement.

Okay sweet thank you for the detailed reply, much appreciated! Just for myself to understand and correct me if I'm wrong :) if its pale/light it'll stay on the sandbed till some colors fill in. If it's colored up already, its okay to place in the upper 2/3rds of the tank at which ever par/flow spot that the particular acro is supposed to be in. Is that correct? Aswell is flow a thing to acclimate the acros to aswell? Like light/pale (lower flow) and colored up (immediate flow needs)

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, it's easy visually to see if colors are pale. You're looking for deepness of color even if it's brown.

Good intermittent flow is important for corals for oxygen exchange. Too much flow from one side may create weird growth patterns but it's not harmful.

As long as you're not ripping off skin most standard flow conditions for acropora will be fine. There's isn't any acclimation needed for flow.

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's easy visually to see if colors are pale. You're looking for deepness of color even if it's brown.

Good intermittent flow is important for corals for oxygen exchange. Too much flow from one side may create weird growth patterns but it's not harmful.

As long as you're not ripping off skin most standard flow conditions for acropora will be fine. There's isn't any acclimation needed for flow.

Thank you so much! Excited to see what you do with the next tank :)

AcroFan144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Big E,

I’ve seen you suggest keeping ‘proper fish numbers’ instead of feeding coral foods.

Is there a rule of a thumb you follow for fish stocking levels? If not, how do you know if you have too many / too few fish?

Thank you for your help.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back