Biggest tang for 150

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the max size tang that would be comfortable in a 72inch by 19.5inch by 24 inch tank? I want to add a bigger tang to add some movement to my tank but with an active fish I'm not sure how big I can go without it being to the fish's detriment. Would 12 inch max size be pushing it? The tank is only 6x the fish's length at that point. What fish would you put in the tank? Ive always focused on coral but I would like some active fish to fill the open space in my tank lots of swimming space. I'm going to my LFS in a couple hours they have a pretty good fish selection.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72” length is good. Is your “width” from front to back the 19.5 or is that the height? (I’m assuming height. )

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72” length is good. Is your “width” from front to back the 19.5 or is that the height? (I’m assuming height. )
Unfortunately the width is only 19.5 not very wide. Those are inside measurements though not counting the 3/4 inch for glass. Lots of height not much width. Its the width that makes me wonder what size would be comfortable once the fish is fully grown.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left lots of room for swimming in the aquascape. That's an older pic alot more algae in the tank now.

Attachments

• image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 35
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 32

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, you’re good with a Yellow-Eyed Kole Tang, Blue-Eyed Tang (things in that range); a Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, but I wouldn’t go with the bigger tangs because of the possible ‘turn around’ difficulties. A lot will have to do with your overall final stocking list.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, you’re good with a Yellow-Eyed Kole Tang, Blue-Eyed Tang (things in that range); a Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, but I wouldn’t go with the bigger tangs because of the possible ‘turn around’ difficulties. A lot will have to do with your overall final stocking list.

I agree! A smaller Acanthurus such as A. nigricans or A. nigrofuscus might be ok as they are about the same size at maturity as Yellow/purple tangs.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback yall I really appreciate it! Ended up doing a sailfin and a yellow eyed kole they're settling in nicely already eating dulse and zooming around the tank. Guess I'll need an upgrade soon so I can get a yellowfin bigger is always better haha.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback yall I really appreciate it! Ended up doing a sailfin and a yellow eyed kole they're settling in nicely already eating dulse and zooming around the tank. Guess I'll need an upgrade soon so I can get a yellowfin bigger is always better haha.

LOL, a sailfin get's huge...over a foot! They don't grow super fast but depending on how big he is now you will need an upgrade down the road.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Tomini Tangs for tanks this size. I like them in general but they’re a good small tang.

Back