OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed a big order, mainly plumbing items today. So hopefully I will have my, with the exception of the pump, water mixing station done soon. Unless I buy a Ecotech M2 pump sooner than later, my mixing station will not be complete as I plan on using the Cor 20 I have on my current tank as the mixing pump. At least I can get the plumbing done though.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some great news today from Zoya at Crystal Dynamic Aquariums. My tank should hit the build table at the end of this month and be ready to ship by the end of Oct. So this means I will be able to have 8-9 months on the tank before Macna. ;Woot;Jawdrop;Greedy;Woot;Jawdrop;Greedy

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah that's a, love,like,money ,emoji ;)

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@The Camaro Show, I know you are a serious SPS reefer. Do you use a calcium reactor, and, if so, do you feel its it the way to go?
I recently picked up a lightly used deltec twintech to try out as I think it will be superior once the new build is finished and think it will be the way to go. I don't see anything wrong and am having great success still dosing brs phrama grade 2 part on a dos and trident. For me its just getting my water volume up to 550 gallons when all done, and that's a lot of 2 part to fill and make. Lets be honest too calcium reactors just are cool!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to wash my Marco rock in RO/DI water today. I will have to do another batch tomorrow in the morning, hopefully I will get done and be able to start to aquascape. I ordered 1 Marco rock mortar kit and it will not be enough to aquascape 170+ pounds of rock. I will end up having to order at least 1 more mortar kit. Marco rock has a lot of debris on it, probably from splitting up the rock, so it will need to be washed to get rid of the powder substance on it.

FB0038C5-3AD5-424B-A4E2-937044236B17.jpeg

That’s less than half of the rock.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and some may ask, why waist the RO/DI water to soak the Marco rock in. Well, its because I don't want any N03 and P04 to dry on the new rock, thus messing up the tank cycle and future of the new tank. City water can have problems, despite using a RO/DI system, and I don't want the new tank to start off on the wrong foot. ;)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It funny, I just realized that I will have to rack my brain to figure out how to aquascape my new tank again, LOL!!! ;Hilarious

I kinda know the look I am going for, BUT where to start, LOL!!!;Hilarious

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascaping is the easy part! You got it hands down!

What’s the look your going for?
That's the problem, I can't explain it, LOL!!! I have been on Marco's site, and they only have one pic of using shelf rock. I like that look, BUT, I want to be original at the same time. I will just have to play with it a little. Having done the scape on my last tank, i found out that once you start, your mind seems to take over and you end up with what you want. I am going with Marco Shelf rock, it gives me the opportunity to have a ton of overhangs with a lot of space for frags, mainly SPS. I also like Carrolls scape, which is kinda the same. I will just have to play with it for a while.

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah! Gotcha, yeah but the good part is you have plenty of time to do it. So, take your time and it will turn out awesome!

I liked Carroll’s as well so, it sounds like you have plenty to draw inspiration from! I can’t wait to see the pics!

Shaping up to be epic!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my 120 gal tank, I totally agree with @Bulk Reef Supply , the 2nd time around you start to look at the bigger picture. Not only are you looking at aesthetics, you are also looking at functionality as well. When I first got into this hobby I didn;t think about, or even care, about the function the scape has. I have to try and plan on areas for the fish to sleep and flow in the tank to prevent detritus from building up. Anyone that has set up more than one tank has come to this conclusion as well. Fish will find a place to sleep, no doubt, but, as the scape becomes more complicated you have to find ways to keep it clean, thus a way for the powerheads to do it for you.

HOLD UP!!! I though this hobby was supposed to release stress, LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah.... I guess when we get to that point it can be a stress reliever.... but it is high stress getting there... that’s for sure!

I agree, like they always say where form meets function.. on mine I went with two boomies with plenty of caves and crevices for the smaller fish.

I think for the most part my flow is pretty good throughout the rocks.

Are you going with sand on the bottom?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah.... I guess when we get to that point it can be a stress reliever.... but it is high stress getting there... that’s for sure!

I agree, like they always say where form meets function.. on mine I went with two boomies with plenty of caves and crevices for the smaller fish.

I think for the most part my flow is pretty good throughout the rocks.

Are you going with sand on the bottom?
I have battled with the sand, no sand dilemma and have come to the conclusion that I like sand. I currently have a Gyre 350 and a MP40 and MP10 in my 120 and like it, but I don't want any wires in my tank. I will go with at least 4 MP40's and maybe a few more along the back to create flow in the caves as I am a BIG fan of overhangs and caves.

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a fan of the sand look as well..

I have battled with the sand, no sand dilemma and have come to the conclusion that I like sand. I currently have a Gyre 350 and a MP40 and MP10 in my 120 and like it, but I don't want any wires in my tank. I will go with at least 4 MP40's and maybe a few more along the back to create flow in the caves as I am a BIG fan of overhangs and caves.
I’m a fan of the sand look as well.

I had CDA put holes in the eurobrace for the gyre wires to go though so there is minimal wires in the tank from the gyres. Worked out pretty well.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a fan of the sand look as well..

I’m a fan of the sand look as well.

I had CDA put holes in the eurobrace for the gyre wires to go though so there is minimal wires in the tank from the gyres. Worked out pretty well.
I have thought about the same, for the gyres, but I like not having any wires in the tank. You really don't see the wires for the gyres as they can sit so high in the tank, I figure I have about a week or so to change it. I do love the gyres and the way they move the water.

Last edited:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a week is going to go by quick ;)
giphy.gif

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it was a clock:rolleyes:LOL..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back