OP
boehm742

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered fans online at a fraction of the cost of radioshacks. Saved money that way. Yes this is custom heatsink from nanotuners that uses the existing 4 screws to mount. Goodluck getting one tho..(All orders are subject to delay and will ship in order received) , they are quite backed up its taken a while for me to get shipped out. Should have it Thursday tho.

OP
OP
boehm742

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below shows the wall wart wired up to the potentiometer. The dimmer wire (blue) from the driver goes to the center hookup and the + and - on the outsides from the wall wart. The dimmer - (white) will just need a negative spot. The red and the black will run to the LEDS obviously.
IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

As for the other end of the driver (AC IN) the blue is + and brown is - just wire it up to a cord with a plug

Mantis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the step by step on this thread. Thinking about adding LED's to my BC 14 too. I want to make a zoa garden for my Mantis shirmp and pair of clowns to live in... LOL...

OP
OP
boehm742

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the step by step on this thread. Thinking about adding LED's to my BC 14 too. I want to make a zoa garden for my Mantis shirmp and pair of clowns to live in... LOL...
Your welcome, its Not a problem! I hope for this to be an easy thing to use for all the BC people and help them with their projects.

OP
OP
boehm742

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything has arrived and i was able to get it all installed last night. Im in the process of moving back to home tomorrow but i will update this thread with pics and details when i get settled back in.

OP
OP
boehm742

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot of the leds on the heatsink, before mounting.
IMG_1529.jpg

Shot of what colors are where in the array
IMG_1527-1.jpg

Basicly then i gutted the whole hood, i used the existing on off switches for the leds/fan, one for each. I also left the breadboard that the moonlights plug into so i could still have the night light, i look to browse at night :) Not sure if you can notice but on the BC hood the existing vents for the stock fans let little to no air thru. I dremeled out the grates that are on the bottom side and didnt touch the outside grate. This helped with airflow 10fold.
IMG_1528.jpg

Heatsink and leds wired up

IMG_1531.jpg

I then added a third fan between the heatsink and the top of the hood to help blow air from the middle, currently i have it bowing out. But it seems to blow both ways in that its a big fan and cant quite get all the air out the holes i added. Needless to say, there is still alot blowing out the top. Also i will add that i swapped out the power supply for the fans with an enercell adjustable 1.5-12v power supply and with it on 9v they run great, not to loud like they were at 13v's the wall wart i had laying around put out.
IMG_1530.jpg

Overall i am very happy with the results, the shimmer is insane, and its not that dull looking lighting the PCS had. Was sick of the boring color the PCS put out, now i got a nice crisp blue. Plus i dont have to change out those stupid bulbs anymore. I will get some pics of the tank tomorrow, i still have frags laying at random throughout the tank that i havent glued since the move so ima wait till i get them in place. I will say tho, they GLOWWWWW!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
boehm742

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has any questions about anything please ask, i want this to be as straight forward as possible for everyone elses use in there DIY projects.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! I can't wait to see the pic's! Did you happen to get any recent before pic's just for comparison?

OP
OP
boehm742

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure do, ill get them up in the am, Will be comparison shots of the corals 1 under PC 1 under led. Ive got several ill post when the lights come back on :)

OP
OP
boehm742

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add i tried putting the 80 degree optics on today but didnt really feel they were necessary and likes the look without them a bit better, not that there was much of a difference tho. I will continue running the LEDS without them.

OP
OP
boehm742

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plans with this tank are to be an anemone and clownfish only tank. I was never able to keep any of my RBTA's long term under the PCS, but since the LED's ive had one out of my 180 downstairs in the BC for 3+ months and its flourishing. I plan to let it split and overtake the rockwork and let my maroon clown be in a BC full of RBTA's :). Will try and duplicate the prior photos in this thread to show the much better coloration and how much growth ive had since!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back