biocube 29 build...getting back into the game

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I used to post on this forum quite a bit (back in the day) - I am not sure how many people are still on here from back then but either way it is good to be back. I moved to Canada about 3 years ago now and had to break down my tank and sell everything off before I moved. Since moving I have built a custom 210 corner hex for a guy in a town about an hour away from here and that has been my only tank since the move. I have been so busy with work and completing my masters I just have not had time to get a tank started until now. I recently purchased a biocube 29 with a stand and am excited to get it going. The problem I have is that I have been away from the hobby for so long I feel out of the loop on a lot of things. I am planning mostly SPS for the tank, with a select few LPS and MAYBE a few zoanthids if I just cant resist. I am trying to plan out lighting, filtration, and mods people have done to these tanks to improve them but I would really appreciate some input from all of you before I get started. Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I used to post on this forum quite a bit (back in the day) - I am not sure how many people are still on here from back then but either way it is good to be back. I moved to Canada about 3 years ago now and had to break down my tank and sell everything off before I moved. Since moving I have built a custom 210 corner hex for a guy in a town about an hour away from here and that has been my only tank since the move. I have been so busy with work and completing my masters I just have not had time to get a tank started until now. I recently purchased a biocube 29 with a stand and am excited to get it going. The problem I have is that I have been away from the hobby for so long I feel out of the loop on a lot of things. I am planning mostly SPS for the tank, with a select few LPS and MAYBE a few zoanthids if I just cant resist. I am trying to plan out lighting, filtration, and mods people have done to these tanks to improve them but I would really appreciate some input from all of you before I get started. Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

Hey TyreeUM - Welcome Back. You can check out my signature. I have a 29 biocube that has gone through a few things. Good luck with the new tank!

OP
OP
TyreeUM

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is the heat level running halides in the tank? I was thinking about going DE halide but I was worried about water temp....

I am really excited to start putting corals in the tank - we get a ton of corals up here that I don't think make their way to the states. Unfortunately I can't legally ship hard corals, but down the road if you anyone feels up for trying some cross border trading I would love to give that a go! The funny thing is with all the amazing corals we can get up here, simple things like florida ricordea run about 50 a polyp...FOR GREEN!

Last edited:

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pass on the halide and go for LEDs. No heat generation and no high electricity costs. Check out my 29g build :)

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I used to have a Biocube 8. What lighting do you have on it, or maybe plan on modding that? I am looking forward to seeing this as a SPS dominate Biocube are always a bit of a challenge. :)

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the LEDs, I think they've gotten to the point that DIY isn't bad, and they clearly do grow corals.

OP
OP
TyreeUM

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the idea of LED's, but my wife does an incredibly job of keeping our house looking fantastic, and the idea of having a suspended light fixture I think would drive her nuts. Is there a kit that retrofits well into a biocube 29's OEM hood?

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the idea of LED's, but my wife does an incredibly job of keeping our house looking fantastic, and the idea of having a suspended light fixture I think would drive her nuts. Is there a kit that retrofits well into a biocube 29's OEM hood?

yup, just take the hood apart, take out the heatshield. lay the heatsink on top, mark the spots and drill the heatsink, then stick the heatsink in the hood, put the screws back and your in business.

I have not done it myself but thats the info I got from another person. I need to test it one day. I actually love the hanging fixture, makes the place more classy and modern.

OP
OP
TyreeUM

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your setup looks great...we live in a 1930's character home which is being restored...unfortunately modern is not to much of an option here - give it some time-I bet my tank stand will be painted white and and have wainscotting haha

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah i think most of the LED systems out there have legs to mount them to instead of hanging...Evolution and AI Sol are two examples that have legs. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/evolution-led-light/55265-latest-evolution-led-news.html http://www.aquacon.com/Aqua%20Illumination_LED_Aquarium_Lighting.html

I also agree LEDs are a great way to go. As far as my MH, my temps arent that bad and i have a fan on the back of my tank that regulates everything at a nice 76-78 degrees.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back