• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Biocube 32 cooling issue solved! - 3D printed.

biofish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocubes are known for their lack of cooling with a hood on. I have solved this by creating a bracket to hold a computer fan in one of the cable ports. It is available on Thingiverse for those of you who have a 3d Printer. Snaps right into place. - Hooked into my Inkbird controller and I never had to worry about overheating again. Just had to re-route all my cables to the other port.

3d File: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4708739
Fan: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNJ4DYX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

image_67202817.JPG
image_67116033.JPG
image_67112705.JPG
image_67165441.JPG

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea

OP
OP
biofish

biofish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears my post has been moved to the For Sale thread... Nothing is for sale though. I was just sharing the 3d files.
If you have a biocube, then you will probably not see this now. Oh well.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this. My Biocube puts off a lot of heat but this is great. I know what I’m printing tonight

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocubes are known for their lack of cooling with a hood on. I have solved this by creating a bracket to hold a computer fan in one of the cable ports. It is available on Thingiverse for those of you who have a 3d Printer. Snaps right into place. - Hooked into my Inkbird controller and I never had to worry about overheating again. Just had to re-route all my cables to the other port.

Fan: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNJ4DYX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image_67202817.JPG
image_67116033.JPG
image_67112705.JPG
image_67165441.JPG
Hopefully other run acrossed it like I did on Google search was the 3rd one down

Anyway this is a life saver I was getting rdy to cut a hole in my top to mount this exact fan as I didn't want to cut the back as that would weeken the hinges

Thank you so much now I'm off to buy a tina 2 3d printer for small builds my 7 year old diy Anet needs an upgrade lol

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You even installed it in the exact hole I need to mine problems not heat so much as moisture it's so bad the light cover on the right half never drys out so I wipe it a few times a day lol

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u see this does your push air into the hood or draw air out

I'm thinking drawing out that way I suck the humidity out of it

Really I'm asking is it better to remove monster to blow into the hood and create positive pressure or blow out and create negative pressure

Pcs always draw air out and some have both in and out mine does it custom tho

So I was basing my thought off of that setup like a pc tower drawing air out via the fan

OP
OP
biofish

biofish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking back in on this. I am glad everyone is having good results. I don't know if drawing air out will be better or not, I would love to hear how effective it is for someone who has compared them.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking back in on this. I am glad everyone is having good results. I don't know if drawing air out will be better or not, I would love to hear how effective it is for someone who has compared them.
I will compare them over the next week and put up a test result here

My thoughts are thing when sucking air out it'll draw from everywhere thus creating a flow threw the front vents and the second hole on the back

But when blowing in the air would be difused by the wall separator from the display and the rear forcing the flow to the right and out the second hole

Also in pc this is exactly why you pull air out if only 1 fan vs in

I have tested this on pcs before and drawing air out creats a cooler overall temp inside the case

While blowing air in creats hot and cold spots inside the case rather then a pretty overall equal ambient temp

Air flows similar to water taking the path of least resistance

Thank you again for posting this I'm buying either a wedoo tina 2 or a mono price delta v2 tommarow

The old anet 8 is about had it and is a Hassel to get printing honestly

I spend more time fixing the anet then I do using it lol

OP
OP
biofish

biofish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound Logic. Looking forward to seeing your results. I am developing a design where you can "clip in" the fan rather than using screws. I noticed my screws started rusting due to the salt content in the tank.

OP
OP
biofish

biofish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I am thinking about printing it with flexible filament. I think it will connect to the hood easier and may reduce vibration.

goldfish423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image_67202817.JPG
image_67116033.JPG
image_67112705.JPG
image_67165441.JPG
Any chance you can make another and I’ll pay for it and shipping?
I’ll DM you

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. This probably actually saved my tank. These Wyoming summers are brutal. 100 F today and I am currently watching my temp drop because of this amazing idea.

Once again, thanks so much.
PXL_20220709_135502426.jpg

OP
OP
biofish

biofish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome!. Great to see that it is working for others too!

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you all though: How long have your folks fans been lasting?

Keeping my tank at exactly 78 degrees Fahrenheit the fan seems to run on it's high setting day and night in my brutal summer. Combine that with it's proximity to saltwater I can't imagine it lasting more than a few months, if that. For $12 it's not a big deal, but I am curious.

How have your fans been holding out?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will depend on air flow.
Sucking moist salty air out will shorten life expectancy while blowing cooler air does not.

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will depend on air flow.
Sucking moist salty air out will shorten life expectancy while blowing cooler air does not.
Was asking more about anecdotes with this exact fan and adapter.

I have mine set up exactly as instructed, blowing fresh air inward rather than salt air out and it's working great.

Already has caused a notedly larger amount of evaporation though.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back