Biocube 32G Filtration

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I was wondering what type of filtration do people use on the 32G biocube.
I was hoping to get to know what everyone uses for each back chambers and what products.

I would like to upgrade my stuff really soon. If you have a recommendation or pictures of what y'all did please fill free to post pictures.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I was told I should get a InTank Media basket. I'm not sure exactly what I should put on it though. Like do I use bioballs/carbon sack/filtration sock? Also which spot would u put them in.
and to use filter floss

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I had a biocube I ran the intank basket also. Cheap filter floss in the top, carbon and/or GFO(when needed) in the middle, and seachems denitrate in a filter bag on the bottom.

In the middle chamber I ran my heater and nothing else. Last chamber had the return pump, and ATO.

It's a reef tank, doesn't need much "filtration" outside of water movement, and live rock.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back when I had a biocube I ran the intank basket also. Cheap filter floss in the top, carbon and/or GFO(when needed) in the middle, and seachems denitrate in a filter bag on the bottom.

In the middle chamber I ran my heater and nothing else. Last chamber had the return pump, and ATO.

It's a reef tank, doesn't need much "filtration" outside of water movement, and live rock.
okay thanks for the help

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the intank media basket is the best upgrade I have found. The ATO in chamber 3 is clutch as well, trying to find a way to make a chaeto refugium in the space in chamber 2. The intank chaeto basket is not worth the money FYI.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, the intank media basket is the best upgrade I have found. The ATO in chamber 3 is clutch as well, trying to find a way to make a chaeto refugium in the space in chamber 2. The intank chaeto basket is not worth the money FYI.
okay good to know i was looking at that intank chaeto basket. Ill probably jst do what yall suggested. Right now i dont have much filtration at all its just the filter pads it came with. LFS didnt recommend me changing filtration but i want to upgrade it a little.

Boonz28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have my heater in the first chamber, InTank media basket (filter floss and carbon) and the refugium basket (which does grow chaeto with a little magnetic grow light) in the 2nd chamber. In the third chamber I have the return pump of course and ATO. Works well for me. I also upgraded the lighting to the Steve’s LED setup and can grow anything.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my heater in the first chamber, InTank media basket (filter floss and carbon) and the refugium basket (which does grow chaeto with a little magnetic grow light) in the 2nd chamber. In the third chamber I have the return pump of course and ATO. Works well for me. I also upgraded the lighting to the Steve’s LED setup and can grow anything.
I have the same setup

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st Chamber
- BRS titanium heater

2nd Chamber
- inTank with filter floss on top, carbon bag in middle. I will be growing chaeto in the bottom with a JBJ Nano-glow light, but this is a work in progress
- Tunze 9001 Skimmer

3rd Chamber
- MightyJet 538 return pump

I plan to add an ATO to the 3rd chamber.

The Tunze skimmer seems to do a decent job for its size, but I may pull it once the chaeto is up and running.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st Chamber
- BRS titanium heater

2nd Chamber
- inTank with filter floss on top, carbon bag in middle. I will be growing chaeto in the bottom with a JBJ Nano-glow light, but this is a work in progress
- Tunze 9001 Skimmer

3rd Chamber
- MightyJet 538 return pump

I plan to add an ATO to the 3rd chamber.

The Tunze skimmer seems to do a decent job for its size, but I may pull it once the chaeto is up and running.
How are you containing the Chaeto? I tried using one of the Intank sections but it kept clogging and the chaeto would melt.

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you containing the Chaeto? I tried using one of the Intank sections but it kept clogging and the chaeto would melt.

The chaeto is a work in progress. I have the light, but I'm waiting to purchase chaeto from AlgaeBarn.

Containment could certainly be an issue. Also, the flow will probably not be sufficient for it to tumble. I'm not sure how it will go, but I want to give chaeto a shot.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tanked4u that was my issue, I’m looking at making a small reactor. Either the Aquamaxx or Phosban 150. Curious if I could pull off the Aquamaxx with it being small enough to fit in chamber 2 and I already have a light for the chamber.

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tanked4u that was my issue, I’m looking at making a small reactor. Either the Aquamaxx or Phosban 150. Curious if I could pull off the Aquamaxx with it being small enough to fit in chamber 2 and I already have a light for the chamber.

Interesting. Please let us know if small reactor works out for you.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so in the 3 chambers you run filter floss on the top. The other two spots do you run anything like all the time? or is it just when something is high? I thought people always have something that lowers nitrates? Also is carbon okay to run all the time I have heard people say yes and no should only use when needed. What does carbon really do?

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss on top (change it out weekly), depends on how dirty it gets. Then in the 2nd chamber I am trying Chaeto again, 3rd chamber I have Granulated Activated Carbon (2 tablespoons per gallon) and Purigen. Totally a test phase right now with the Purigen and Chaeto but we'll see. I've seen people put filter floss at the very bottom too but I've found it clogs up easily and stops flow.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Filter floss on top (change it out weekly), depends on how dirty it gets. Then in the 2nd chamber I am trying Chaeto again, 3rd chamber I have Granulated Activated Carbon (2 tablespoons per gallon) and Purigen. Totally a test phase right now with the Purigen and Chaeto but we'll see. I've seen people put filter floss at the very bottom too but I've found it clogs up easily and stops flow.
ye everywhere i see they say filter floss on top. have you ever used a filter sock? i heard its preference but i would rather use a filter sock if possible. also do u always have activated carbon/purigen in the third? or is that just if something is going wrong? I feel like my nitrates keep going up each week so i have to do a big water change. they go from around 5 to 15-20. I reduced feeding and still my nitrates spike. I only have 4 fish in my tank so im not sure what else i can do to reduce nitrates. a heavy water change? like 50%? i was doing a 10G water change in my 32g since they were going to 15-20 nitrate. didnt really make a diff

ExpensiveSushi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

My tank is still young and I'm trying to see how far i can get with mainly stock equipment.

Chamber 1 is Cobalt heater and Coralife skimmer that came with unit.

Haven't upgraded 2nd chamber, just polyfill floss, carbon, and bio media.

3rd chamber has one upgrade, Sicce Syncra 1.5. Was purchasing a backup pump anyway, now the OEM pump mixes salt.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a BRS mini reactor in my biocube when I had one. Just the tiny mj1200 pump in the middle chamber, reactor in the cabinet, and return back into the third chamber.

Back in the day we used to use the aquaticlife 115 skimmer, but I don't think that fits in the "new" design of the 32 with the lid still on, or without some hood modification. The coralife skimmer is absolute garbage, and isn't worth the plastic it's made from. You would be better off without it, then actually using it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back