Biocubes! Let's see them!!!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine about the same time. I only have one live rock and 2 juvenile clownfish in there. Plus sand. My clownfish HATE the daylight lights! Hoping adding more rock will help.

My 32g biocube has only been set up for 10 days. Currently stock config, but have the following on order:

Tunze 9001 skimmer
InTank media basket
MightJet 538 Return pump
Tunze Turbelle 6015 power head

Current Occupants:
Ocellaris Clown
Mini brittle star (hitchhiker)
30 pounds live rock

97844168-ECB1-408F-9D32-1604D6BE3E41.jpeg
7319BCC5-FB4A-45F6-9995-EF836BF54A5E.jpeg
AC6483CF-CC28-4B1B-A061-C23605F5A6CA.jpeg

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you just have the stock lights? So far I only have one live rock and 2 juvenile clownfish in the tank. Plus sand. My clownfish HATE the daylight lights! Not sure what to do.
[/QUOTE
My friend, who I bought my set up from, built a canopy. I started with a kessil a80, which was way under powered, and quickly moved to a kessil a160we. That worked great for the first year, but as I placed more sps corals I slowly realized that one a160 was also underpowered. I now have two and I am getting much better results. My clown fish have never reacted much to my lights. More rock with some caves and overhangs might help. I have also read that a lot of people with biocubes get something called Steve’s LEDs. I don’t know much about them other than people swear by them, and I believe they can be retro fitted into the original biocube lid. Good luck!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine about the same time. I only have one live rock and 2 juvenile clownfish in there. Plus sand. My clownfish HATE the daylight lights! Hoping adding more rock will help.

They seem to be better today. I changed the lights to include the other 2 settings along with the daylight. It's not so blinding white now.

wallyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've noticed that this tank is really well enclosed (32g). Initially, I had my heater turned up too high and the water got up to 86 degrees. I thought I was going to have issues cooling the tank. I turned my heater off, and left the feed door open for a few days and now it's stable around 78 degrees. If I hadn't left the feed door open, I believe it would've stayed really warm in there. I've also had basically no evaporation so far (in a week and a half). The salinity has been perfectly stable and I haven't had to add any top off water.

No issue, I suppose, just curious if others have noticed this too. The no evaporation surprised me the most.
Set up mine 4 days ago and have minimal if any evaporation. Looks like a pretty tight seal. Had the same issue with my heater. 1st day read 83 took 3 days to drop to 78

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evaporation is next to nothing. A 5g container can last 3 even 4 months for me. I usually replace with around 2 gallons left just because its old stagnant water. In summer I have a harder time keeping temps down. I usually prop the top open with 3” USB powered fan blowing across the top of the water.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added this light to the back of the Biocube about 2 weeks ago and so far I'm up pretty happy with it. Mounting the light was super easy. It came with Velcro strips so you can stick it to the glass and mounting hardware for external sumps. Not sure how it will perform long term but the cheato is looking nice and healthy.

IMG_20190921_172549.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added this light to the back of the Biocube about 2 weeks ago and so far I'm up pretty happy with it. Mounting the light was super easy. It came with Velcro strips so you can stick it to the glass and mounting hardware for external sumps. Not sure how it will perform long term but the cheato is looking nice and healthy.

IMG_20190921_172549.jpg
Give the Brightwell Chaeto grow additive a look. It’s like a steroid injection on all the elements needed to keep it going strong.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back