Biology Classroom Nano Reef

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contributors (THANK YOU!!!)

Biocube 32g: Christine
Coral Box Moon LED Plus & RN-1Wavemaker: @Reef Breeders (www.reefbreeders.com/)
Red Sea Reef Foundations Test Kit
Live Sand/rock: CaribSea (https://caribsea.com)
Salt & Biocube Accessories: Allison
Live Rock/ReefKeeper lite Parts: Technorch (BRS)
Refractometer, wavemaker, heater: bonghapster (BRS)
ReefKeeper Lite Parts
tunze Osmolator NanoATO: 1spotpooalot (BRS)
RO/DI – @AquaFX (http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com)
RO/DI Auto Shutoff and Mini Frag Rack: @cromag27 (https://octoaquatics.com)

I am transferring this build thread from a regional forum I have been posting on. Hoping to this forum can be another great resource on our journey.

Update 12/4/18

Hi everyone, something a little bit different for this build thread. I am in process of trying to create a nano reef tank with my biology class at Coventry (RI) High School. I found this forum recently and am hoping it will be a helpful resource in our journey. I am hoping to use this thread to document our progress and reach out for advice if necessary. Not sure how long this process will take or how successful we will be but thanks for reading.

PS: If anyone has ANY supplies (and eventually livestock) you don’t use that you would like to donate or sell to me that you think I could use please feel free to post or PM me. I will post updates on supplies and eventually livestock as I get them. I am funding everything out of pocket so I have a limited budget.

First Step: The Tank

Huge thank you for Christine for donating this 32g LED Biocube. Overwhelmed by your generosity!

I think this will be a perfect tank for this situation given its size and the fact it does have a cover w/ lighting included.

index.php

Update 12/10/18

index.php
Update: Bought an RO/DI system. Making some water to get things going. I spoke to Scott at OSA regarding the tank. Right now the plan is to get the tank set up and cycling before Christmas break. After the break we will take a field trip there for education on building and maintaining the reef. Immediate needs are sand, live rock and salt. Couple leads on the sand and rock which is awesome.

Update 12/11

Making some fresh RODI water, if everything falls into place I’m hoping to start cycling this week or next.

index.php

Update 12/13/18

Huge shout out to @bonghapster and Allison (I don’t think she’s a forum member) for their donations to the project. Now have a refractometer, Jebco PP4, couple heaters, some reef salt, and a bunch of other helpful accessories. My major needs are just rock and sand now. I think have a plan for the rock as well.

Transferred the tank and about 15-20 gallons RO/DI water w salt to school today. Just have it there circulating with the PP4. I will bring more tomorrow and I will turn on the return pump. Hopefully gettting the rock over the weekend. Looking like we could be cycling by the time the break comes. Keeping everything hush hush right now but the kids are excited and very curious.
index.php
index.php

Thanks again to anyone and everyone who has helped either with donations or advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Update 12/14

Finished filling the water, got the return pump going. The students used the refractometer to measure the specific gravity/salt content. We discussed adjustments based on this data. Still keeping them in the dark about what is going in the tank, building anticipation. So far so good.

index.php

(I have permission to post picture)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the support everyone! This is a somewhat scary project so the support is greatly appreciated. As far as livestock, yes I will be keeping coral, fish and hopefully some inverts. Probably some easy beginner corals, limited by the stock LEDs in the Biocube as well. I would like to get a pair of clownfish, a shrimp, maybe a starfish. I admit I haven't gotten too far into my research on that yet. If anyone has suggestions of what to keep in this setup please share!

Update 12/15/18

A member of the Boston Reefers forum donated some live rock to the project. The plan is to start cycling next week, just need to get sand, any suggestions?

IMG_0831.JPG

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off-topic question, for my setup and for what I will be keeping, do I need to use the $60 test kit from Red Sea or would the cheaper API kit be okay? If I need to spend the money I will but I'd rather save it for livestock if I can.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While cycling I use API test kits. They're close enough to determine if the tank has cycled. I suppose for a soft coral tank, they would be fine too. If looking at LPS or SPS corals, then you're going to want the red sea reef foundation pro kit and algae control pro kits or a hanna ULR phosphorus checker.

TLDR: Get the API saltwater master test kit for the cycle and get the red sea kits later on down the road if you decide to try more difficult corals

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your clown and shrimp idea is great, but I would probably recommend against most starfish until the tank is fairly mature. Clowns are a great choice for your situation because they're dang near bomb-proof and most of your students will have an instant emotional attraction to the fish thanks to Finding Nemo. For a shrimp, I would suggest a skunk cleaner shrimp. I have owned them, fire shrimp, and coral banded shrimp and have found the skunks to be the most active, friendly, and interesting to watch.

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While cycling I use API test kits. They're close enough to determine if the tank has cycled. I suppose for a soft coral tank, they would be fine too. If looking at LPS or SPS corals, then you're going to want the red sea reef foundation pro kit and algae control pro kits or a hanna ULR phosphorus checker.

TLDR: Get the API saltwater master test kit for the cycle and get the red sea kits later on down the road if you decide to try more difficult corals

Could I even keep LPS and SPS with the stock LEDs?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
duncans and frogspawn (LPS) do not have much light requirements, plus you can see them build their skeletons and splitting of their polyps. You can spot feed the duncans as they have great feeding responses. They both sway in the flow which is nice visual attraction.

I love watchman gobies and tail spot blennies. The watchman should dig his hole under a rock, build up the sand wall and then perch right in front all day. Tailspots will motor around from perch to perch all day and will pick at algae . Both are easy to keep.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off-topic question, for my setup and for what I will be keeping, do I need to use the $60 test kit from Red Sea or would the cheaper API kit be okay? If I need to spend the money I will but I'd rather save it for livestock if I can.

might be worth the email to contact Red Sea and explain it's for teaching students about water chemistry and see if they might donate the ALK/CA/Mg and algae (No3/PO4) kits . Eventually when you start the inevitable algae war and keeping corals you'll need NO3 and PO4 tests more sensitive that API. Have the kids watch the Red Sea Videos on corals requirements and flatter Red Sea about that in our email.

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might be worth the email to contact Red Sea and explain it's for teaching students about water chemistry and see if they might donate the ALK/CA/Mg and algae (No3/PO4) kits . Eventually when you start the inevitable algae war and keeping corals you'll need NO3 and PO4 tests more sensitive that API. Have the kids watch the Red Sea Videos on corals requirements and flatter Red Sea about that in our email.

I had emailed them over a week ago regarding salt and was unfortunately ignored. I was hoping to hear at least hear something back.

Back