OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
duncans and frogspawn (LPS) do not have much light requirements, plus you can see them build their skeletons and splitting of their polyps. You can spot feed the duncans as they have great feeding responses. They both sway in the flow which is nice visual attraction.

I love watchman gobies and tail spot blennies. The watchman should dig his hole under a rock, build up the sand wall and then perch right in front all day. Tailspots will motor around from perch to perch all day and will pick at algae . Both are easy to keep.
Thanks for these great suggestions! Sound super cool!

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had emailed them over a week ago regarding salt and was unfortunately ignored. I was hoping to hear at least hear something back.
http://reefconservationsociety.org/schools.html

check out this program for schools. There is an email link to inquire about becoming part of the program. It's for PA and MD (not sure where you are located) but I don't know if and why if it's limited to those two states

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://reefconservationsociety.org/schools.html

check out this program for schools. There is an email link to inquire about becoming part of the program. It's for PA and MD (not sure where you are located) but I don't know if and why if it's limited to those two states

I am in RI unfortunately. I wish we had something like this, we are the OCEAN state after all.

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in RI unfortunately. I wish we had something like this, we are the OCEAN state after all.
I will take a look at the list of manufactures though. One of the companies on their list is actually supposed to making a donation which I am so grateful for. When it is confirmed I will be giving them a big shout out.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

worth an email to that org, might be willing to have you be their pilot RI program or refer you to someone. Also, contact a RI university to help sponsor you. Brown, Providence etc might help

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
worth an email to that org, might be willing to have you be their pilot RI program or refer you to someone. Also, contact a RI university to help sponsor you. Brown, Providence etc might help
I just emailed the person that is listed on the page. Like you said it’s worth a shot, I am blown away by the program though. It sounds amazing.

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for getting this salt to dissolve, it was in there all weekend (with only one powerhead though).

IMG_4266.JPG

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mix it up and get it into the water column. is the water heated?

before adding your salt mix to water, you want to make sure the salt is mixed up well. if it’s a bucket then roll the bucket around a few times.

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mix it up and get it into the water column. is the water heated?

before adding your salt mix to water, you want to make sure the salt is mixed up well. if it’s a bucket then roll the bucket around a few times.

The water wasn't heated when I added the salt, maybe that was the problem. I did let it circulate in a bucket with a powerhead running for about 6-8 hours. The water is heated now, what would be the best way to get it off the bottom?

Update: 12/17/18

First ever attempt at "aquascaping" (honest feedback would be appreciated, waiting to add the sand based on what everyone thinks)

IMG_1396.JPG
IMG_8264.JPG

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let the water come up to temperature, leave the powerhead pointed at the bottom and it should dissolve no problem. when mixing new saltwater, you do want it heated to match the temperature of the tank water.

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let the water come up to temperature, leave the powerhead pointed at the bottom and it should dissolve no problem. when mixing new saltwater, you do want it heated to match the temperature of the tank water.

Yeah I planned on heating the water for water changes, I just didn't heat the initial batch but thanks for the tip, I will definitely eat everything in the future.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go with one of the last two. the first two look a little too close to the glass. you need room for your algae scraper to get back there.

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a scare with the hood today, after adding the live sand I bought last night the hood would not turn back on. I reached out to Central Aquatics, who I was already in contact with regarding supporting the project (more to come on that in the future). Their customer support was able to fix the issue in minutes, can't say enough goof things about this company so far. Will hopefully have more to share in the future. Thanks again to everyone following and helping us on our journey!

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the live sand and live rock I already have in the tank, should I be adding anything else during the cycling period. Would you recommend adding a bottle bacteria in addition? Thanks everyone.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 12/22

Tank is running with the live rock and sand. Added some bacteria on Friday. Going to give it the break to do it’s rhing. Will start testing to see if it is cycled when we get back. Hope everyone has an awesome holiday!

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 12/26

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I stopped by the school today to feed my reptiles and check on the tank. The water was very clear, I had to move around the powerheads I bit because sand was being pushed out of one area of the tank. There is a bit of “slimy” material built up on the powerheads. Could anyone tell me what this is and if I need to do anything to treat it? Thanks!

64041238-5858-495F-9F0B-5903524214B9.jpeg
8F833C52-1CA0-48C1-B3F5-0B02D832D1FA.jpeg

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back from break and no disasters with the tank.
IMG_7975.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back