BioPellet or algae scrubber that is the question

Reefermike

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 3, 2011
Messages
128
Reaction score
14
Location
Gulfport,ms
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide on one of these or perhaps both . I will also have UV Sterilizer on this as well . Really wasn't sure how well the scrubber would work in with UV. What are your thoughts
 
I would vote for liquid carbon dosing. BRS drew's doser on a timer. I like scrubbers, but they can be quite a bit of work. Vodka is cheap and easy to adjust with a timer. Need less just turn it down a min or two, need more just run it longer. Doesn't take much space or power either and there are plenty of amazing tanks that run it now.
 
Run a UV on a QT to wipe out everything, but not on a DT... Scrubber will remove the extra waste thats added with feeding, Carbon dosing will use the skimmer to extract both good good stuff and extra waste from the system, so you have to be careful not to overdose and remove to much of the good bacteria.
I carbon dose, and skim dry.
 
ATS in my opinion. I can post pictures of mine when its built this weekend.
 
Sounds good . I am fortunate that I could go any of these ways. I have a bio pellet reactor , can get very gently used L3 algae scrubber and I have apex and dosing pump. Really like havering input on pros and cons of each .
 
I would say run both (ATS/biobellets) till the screen on the scrubber matures. Then decide if you can ditch the pellets. I personally run both, with the biopellets about 1/4 of what is recommentded. The ats still produces a lot of algae.

Example

 
I run an ATS, so it obviously gets my vote.
 
I run an ATS and would recommend it. It add some aminos to the water for the corals and support the the various pods population for different organisms that feed on them.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new