Biopellets or Chaeto reactor?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got it set up. I have a question, does it matter how flow is going through it? I have a 320 gph turned down.

Yeah you don't want it going too fast. I think that's an upflow reactor you have. So if the chaeto is getting tightly packed up top, I'd turn it down. Depending on how far your water is traveling or head height you can experiment with the flow. My pumps are 262gph, one on an AIO with the flow coming from the back chamber to inside the stand and back, that one runs all open. I have one with the reactor mounted even height with the sump and I have that one dialed back about half way.

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can yes, how high is you're phosphate ? I would run both to get it under control. then you can take it off if you want, but test often to see if the algae reactor is handling it. if not put the other reactor on line again. alot of people run both by the way.

Khalifa Alhaddad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for chaeto and place as revers method for lighting in sump so you will have staple ph and by the time you will have low NO3

ykz_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly someone from another forum stated that the TFL phosban 150 plastic housing is thinner than the older production models. Be careful when purchasing this because mine cracked within one month of use.

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear that also, after I got it lol were you using it as an algae reactor also?

vinnyolivas76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing an awesome job. Plus it looks cool at night
ad2623a07fc1c1f06ea3c5924a20eae4.jpg

BTBarney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone who uses one of these systems try to prevent light bleed into the sump? I imagine all that light could create an algae mess in there.....

ykz_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone who uses one of these systems try to prevent light bleed into the sump? I imagine all that light could create an algae mess in there.....

I've been running a chaeto reactor since July 2017. No signs of algae so far

Codym808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my reactor wrapped in electrical tape with little square "windows" cut out to see whats going on inside

FTW-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto reactor all the way, the best thing since protein skimmers. A great addition, I actually re-purposed 2 biopellet reactors into algae reactors. Biopellets didn't work for me.

How did you design the algae reactors with repurposed bio pellet reactors? How did it go and are you still having success with any of your systems?

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 12 15.6%
Back