Biopellets. What do they do?

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to know what Carbon dosing does in a reef. Pros, cons, results, and what it does. I have a reactor and got some biopellets but before anything, I want to know how to use them and what to look out for in terms of water chemistry and anything more

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent alot on a good 400 + on a reef octo reactor. About a year ago. An I still have the same pellets in it just flowing away. So I am of the opinion they are useless, but makes me wonder why some people have great success and I don't. My tank is cycled no doubt. Maybe my B.B. are just picky eaters.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent alot on a good 400 + on a reef octo reactor. About a year ago. An I still have the same pellets in it just flowing away. So I am of the opinion they are useless, but makes me wonder why some people have great success and I don't. My tank is cycled no doubt. Maybe my B.B. are just picky eaters.
A lot depends on how heavily stocked your tank is and how much you feed. Lots of fish also means lots of food and lots of waste. Carbon dosing is one method (among many) for consuming the nitrates from that waste.

@GHOSTLY
Bio Pellets is simply one method of carbon dosing. It encourages the growth of bacteria that consume nitrates. When those bacteria die and are released to the water column, you have to remove them via a skimmer or other filtration before they decompose, which would return the very nitrates they consumed BACK to the water column, negating any benefit from them.

One key to successful use of bio pellets is a fluidized bed reactor. The water needs maximum contact time around all the available surface of the pellets. A common mistake is to turn up too much flow on bio pellets which makes them pretty much useless.

Bio pellets can also become too effective if too much is used, reducing nitrates below detectable/acceptable levels. It's best to start out slow with 1/4 - 1/2 the recommended volume of pellets for your size tank and watch your nitrates and phosphates over a period of weeks. Also watch the flow in the reactor and make sure you aren't creating mush at the bottom or churning the crap out of the pellets. Either one is bad for pellets.

Last edited:

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ot depends on how heavily stocked your tank is and how much you feed. Lots of fish
A lot depends on how heavily stocked your tank is and how much you feed. Lots of fish also means lots of food and lots of waste. Carbon dosing is one method (among many) for consuming the nitrates from that waste.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets will only generally be consumed by specialized bacteria that grow on them or maybe nearby.

Soluble organic dosing (e.g., vinegar) also drives bacteria, but other organisms, from sponges to corals, can also consume the organic material in vinegar (acetate).

IMO, I prefer soluble organics for that reason, as well as easier control over the "dose" and the timing of consumption (all organic carbon dosing generally consumes some O2 and tends to lower pH).

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use kalk dosing every hour, reverse lighting schedule chaeto, and soda ash as alk supplement to keep ph up

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back