Biota/captive bred Court Jester Goby

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that in general, Court Jester/Rainford gobies are supposed to fare poorly in reef tanks. Does anybody here have a captive bred one that was weaned on pellets? How long have you had it and does it still look healthy? What size tank do you have it in? These gobies look so cool but based on what I had read before I learned about the biota ones I didn’t think I could ever have one since I’m only interested in fish that I can keep healthy long term. Maybe the biota fish is a game changer though?

Second question: if you have a Rainford Goby how do you think it would do in a 20 gallon nano reef with a sharknose goby (Elacatinus evelynae) and maybe something like a cave transparent goby (Fusigobius pallidus)? I know gobies are territorial but I’ve also read that as long as they are from different genra, look different, and use different niches they should be ok? These would be the only fish in the tank. I’m not sure exactly where the Cave transparent goby would hang out so have to do more research there too.

Thanks!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had great luck with my rainfords and never had any issues.
this is the first I’m hearing that they are“ tough” to keep...
Mine lived in a 28G biocube by himself and I literally didn’t even feed the tank. He lived by grazing on algae in the tank and him being there made more algae.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had great luck with my rainfords and never had any issues.
this is the first I’m hearing that they are“ tough” to keep...
Mine lived in a 28G biocube by himself and I literally didn’t even feed the tank. He lived by grazing on algae in the tank and him being there made more algae.
He lived by himself in that tank happily for over 2 years.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back