Biota regal angel, yes or no?

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you have followed my build. I have now transfered all livestock to the 550G tank and all fish have seemed to settled down and established pecking order.
I am thinking of adding a biota captive bred regal angel. I have had juvinile regals before but not with a group of larger fish in a large system.
here are the fish I currently have and whom I concern for the angel’s safety:
Lemonpeel angel
Flame angel
Pair of maroon clowns
Tangs: purple, gem, naso, blue, orange shoulder,
One melanurus wrasse

for those with experiences in regal angel (especially the biota captive ones) can you share your experience in:
Do you see any of my current fish threaten a 2” captive bred regal?
Do your regal angel stay away from corals (both sps, lps) and clams?

love to hear your feed back!

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you have followed my build. I have now transfered all livestock to the 550G tank and all fish have seemed to settled down and established pecking order.
I am thinking of adding a biota captive bred regal angel. I have had juvinile regals before but not with a group of larger fish in a large system.
Lemonpeel angel
Flame angel
Pair of maroon clowns
One melanurus wrasse

for those with experiences in regal angel (especially the biota captive ones) can you share your experience in:

love to hear your feed back
Lemonpeel angel
Flame angel
Pair of maroon clowns
One melanurus wrasse

love to hear your feed back!
The flame and the lemon peel are both going to be a problem. Your only hope is to remove them and give the regal a chance to establish himself well. And by establish himself I mean eating and coming to you when he sees you getting ready to feed the tank. Then you can try to re-introduce the flame and the lemon peel. Still not going to guarantee no hostility. I had to get rid of my flame, and my bicolor was smaller so they co-existed. The Regal was the first fish in the tank. A 125. I assume you’re going to get the regal eating in a quarantine tank before introducing him into the large DT. If not, I think that would be a mistake. My regal stayed away from any tentacled corals, but he would nip occasionally at my Acans.

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everything Bruno said.

That lemon peel angel is more of a risk to corals than a Regal IMO.

Those angels will probably pick at the angel, but since it’s a very large tank, It might work.

I would definitely keep the regal in QT prior to get him used to eating and your tank parameters.

As far as regal angels with corals, it’s a risk. They may or may not pick at clams. I personally think regals are pretty reef safe, my tank builder has a regal with clams and it’s not picking at them at all, but every fish has a different personality, so you can only know by trying.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame and the lemon peel are both going to be a problem. Your only hope is to remove them and give the regal a chance to establish himself well. And by establish himself I mean eating and coming to you when he sees you getting ready to feed the tank. Then you can try to re-introduce the flame and the lemon peel. Still not going to guarantee no hostility. I assume you’re going to get the regal eating in a quarantine tank before introducing him into the large DT. If not, I think that would be a mistake. My regal stayed away from any tentacled corals, but he would nipple occasionally at my Acans.
Well catching the flame and lemonpeel in that 550 is next to impossible lol. I do always quarantine and yes I have a chain of tanks set up I do intend to get the regal eating, grow fat. Bt now I might just co sider keeping the regal in one of the seoarate tanks.
Assuming you have a regal, do yours ever touch any of your corals or clams? I have seen many people keeping them in reef and wonder whether that’s the norm or exception

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everything Bruno said.

That lemon peel angel is more of a risk to corals than a Regal IMO.

Those angels will probably pick at the angel, but since it’s a very large tank, It might work.

I would definitely keep the regal in QT prior to get him used to eating and your tank parameters.

As far as regal angels with corals, it’s a risk. They may or may not pick at clams. I personally think regals are pretty reef safe, my tank builder has a regal with clams and it’s not picking at them at all, but every fish has a different personality, so you can only know by trying.
Thanks for the feedback. I have had my lemonpeel and flame in reef almost their entire life, and both are very well fed. So far have not seen them turn onto corals (knock on wood).
And yes I too am fearful for the regal facing these centropyges. I am glad to gather people’s opinion here.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well catching the flame and lemonpeel in that 550 is next to impossible lol. I do always quarantine and yes I have a chain of tanks set up I do intend to get the regal eating, grow fat. Bt now I might just co sider keeping the regal in one of the seoarate tanks.
Assuming you have a regal, do yours ever touch any of your corals or clams? I have seen many people keeping them in reef and wonder whether that’s the norm or exception
I have hammers (2) gonis (2) Torches (5) zoos (many) and Acans (3) The regal was nipping at one particular Acan for a while, then he stopped. All of the other corals are left alone

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those Biota Regals are pretty small and on the thin side IMO. I saw one at an LFS and I want to say 1.25" to 1.5" max and very skittish but did eat flakes.
Oh wow, I mean I got some of their captive bred yellows a couple months back at quarter size so I imagined the angels would be just as big. Looks like if I ever decide to get one it will be in a “grow out” tank for a while

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Every fish is different but I wouldn’t put any of them in a reef w lps or a clam. I value my micros, wilsoni, favias, chalice and clam way too much to chance.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, didn't know if you were aware. That's why I would be hesitant to throw him in your 550g, might never see him again!

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I cannot stand how "some" online store price the captive bred fish.

example: regal angel

a wild 3 inch one would run you about 200-300 depending on your LFS.

a imported Bali captive bred regal cost $250 AT MY LFS.

However
please tell me why some store online are slapping a captive bred angel and charging $600+ For one, supposing that the $250 at my LFS are already making a somewhat profit.

I'm all for captive bred and fully support it for maybe helping endangered or limited fish, but I would think twice before buying captive fish again while having no problem buying a wild fish
Other than this, I keep regals in my reef. It Does not nip SPS but it nipped at some zoas before. I would not risk angels with clams

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to add something here that seems to be overlooked with these captive bred Regals. There’s no way to really know when they’re so small whether you’re getting a gray belly or a yellow belly, which is much more attractive, desirable and expensive. At that size, they’re all yellow belly. You might be better off buying a 2 to 3 inch yellow belly for the $300 and know what you’re getting. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to add something here that seems to be overlooked with these captive bred Regals. There’s no way to really know when they’re so small whether you’re getting a gray belly or a yellow belly, which is much more attractive, desirable and expensive. At that size, they’re all yellow belly. You might be better off buying a 2 to 3 inch yellow belly for the $300 and know what you’re getting. Just a thought.
I actually never paid attention to the yellow/grey belly variety. Is it based on their origin?

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back