Biota regal angel, yes or no?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, the rest of your post is on point. Clearly you are passionate and care for your animals.

I only clipped this because I 100% agree with it. Search my other post for either of these companies and you will see that I support what Biota and ORA are doing.

We need more people / companies working on this. The only way to ensure that happens is to support these companies that are actually doing it.

Thank you for the reply. I guess I came in too hot, right? My apologies to all.

I do know a fellow reefer overseas who recently purchased the Regal. I am a fan of both his natural looking display and photos so maybe @najer can provide more information how his is doing. I know he has some Scopas tangs, maybe a yellow.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do know a fellow reefer overseas who recently purchased the Regal. I am a fan of both his natural looking display and photos so maybe @najer can provide more information how his is doing. I know he has some Scopas tangs, maybe a yellow.
No apologies, passion is a good thing. I have seen najer's fish recently and am super jealous.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, the baby is doing great and is a non stop grazing machine, I haven't seen it take offered food yet but it is still very shy with me.
My female rescue scopas seems to have adopted it and the pink streak has taken a real shine to it.
From across the room, quick little thing and has a great tummy on it.

DSC_0003 (1024x700).jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the baby is doing great and is a non stop grazing machine, I haven't seen it take offered food yet but it is still very shy with me.
My female rescue scopas seems to have adopted it and the pink streak has taken a real shine to it.
From across the room, quick little thing and has a great tummy on it.

DSC_0003 (1024x700).jpg

Thank you for replying. Hope you are doing well!

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to take a minute and thank everyone.
I didn't need a Red Sea Regal Anglefish coming into this. I came in here to calm the storm. Turns out, the storm turned on me.
Now I need to have my Red Sea Regal Anglefish.
Thanks... not mad just poor now.
You and me both, regal ahs always been on my list!

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously each fish is different in temperament, etc. However, my experience is that my 3” Regal gets along with a 4” transitioning Emperor, a 5” Majestic, and a 5” Powder blue tang. There was a problem with a similar size flame angel who I had to get rid of,. There is a somewhat smaller Bicolor that they coexist but with an edge.
I think that is the biggest blocker for me right now, the two centropyge I have - the lemonpeel is my wife’s fish so I need to keep her to stay on wife’s good side. And the flame is just… a flame, adds so much more color contrast to the tank since not many active fish out there are bright red

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price is irrelevant in my opinion. I wish people would drop that vs what Bali, Biota, and Ora are doing. Never the less just know that most of the BIOTA fish are small upon arrival. Grow out tank is ideal. I put all mine in the refugium for at least a month or more depending on how fast they grow. The last one I had was the Golden Lined Rabbitfish.

I am going to place an order but I bought the forktail blenny and acropora mini colony from Palau (amazing frag btw) last week. So need to wait another week before I do. One thing I would recommend is shoot them an email from the portal. They will respond pretty quick about the though of direct to tank or holding. 500 gallons is a lot but fish have a knack of finding other fish. Something isolated so it can get comfortable is ideal.

Another reason for isolation is to allow you to try multiple foods and find what it likes the best. Also allows you to place corals in there to see what it does. All around win win if you want my opinion. This is how I found the rabbitfish likes some soft corals.

TL;DR - Biota rocks (I'm biased - rabbit fish, 3 forktails, radial & matted filefish, starry goby, and 7 sapphire damsels). Email them. All fish are different so your mileage may vary. Regals are freaking amazing.
Yes I have a 80 gallon frag tank plumbed inline with the 500 and plan to isolate any and all quarantined fish there to get them fat and healthy before letting them stretch legs in the 550.
i will also side with your caution on rebbitfish, in my experience almost all of them develop taste for corals at some point…

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - here is the info from Biota - this is what they are eating there. As noted above you can always email them for clarity and they will let you know what they are feeding exactly. This also may help with those discussing looks.

I understand the price is high but please remember the amount of effort that breeders are going through to provide these animals. It isn't just provide it is all the IP getting them spawning, or collecting pairs, or collecting things that float to grow, to working with locals and laws and processes to bring these to us. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have the yellow tang.

1647403192297.png
Personally I am willing to pay the price knowing you are getting a fish that’s guaranteed to take prepared food vs chancing wild caught who may never eat and perish

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, the rest of your post is on point. Clearly you are passionate and care for your animals.

I only clipped this because I 100% agree with it. Search my other post for either of these companies and you will see that I support what Biota and ORA are doing.

We need more people / companies working on this. The only way to ensure that happens is to support these companies that are actually doing it.
Can I get a +1 that Biota need to start breeding Kole tangs on top if yellow tangs?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold out for a few years if you can. The prices will come down on the regals.
Hopefully they keep producing them. Some fish I feel like get bred then slowly disappear.

Mutlibars? Venustus? Blue tangs? Purple tangs?

Maybe the demand for regals will be so high they will keep at it. Idk.

Oredigger77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a wild caught regal but I have two to the captive bred regals. They eat pellets like they are going out of style and when I introduced them to frozen there was no hesitation, I haven't tried flake yet. As everyone already mentioned these guys come in tiny much closer to 1" than 2' and while mine have come out of hiding to explore the tank they are the only ones in my 90. Apparently, BA is breeding both the yellow bellies and the grey and then growing them out in the same tank so there is a chance that they don't know what they're grabbing since its based on size. We'll see in a couple of years what mine turn into.

20220305_083907.jpg

20220302_132208.jpg

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is the biggest blocker for me right now, the two centropyge I have - the lemonpeel is my wife’s fish so I need to keep her to stay on wife’s good side. And the flame is just… a flame, adds so much more color contrast to the tank since not many active fish out there are bright red
When I sold my flame, it was a sad day.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back