Biota regal angel, yes or no?

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This made me laugh You didn't even ask a yes or no question... :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Captive bred regal angels are a huge asset to the hobby. Thank you Biota! I know I will be looking to purchase a pair after my move this summer.
You obviously have a reading comprehension problem. That made me laugh.

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You obviously have a reading comprehension problem.

You're right. I thought you had asked about the percentage of F2 misbared but that was another poster. I just didn't like your comment that I perceived to be overly critical for no real reason. My bad! Have a nice day.

*Edit -sorry if I was overly defensive. Just probably my appreciation for Biota. They have really taken care of me. For example, they replaced a mandarin I lost in a tank move and gave me a discount on the replacement weeks/months later even though it was my own negligence that resulted in the loss. I don't know many retailers, wholesalers, breeders, or sellers of wildcaught fish that would do that for a customer. A really top notch place in my opinion.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters Angel is a unique situation because they are virtually exclusive to the Hawaiian Islands. Hawaii has been virtually shut down due to the virus. As has Australia. Fish from other areas that are not shut down are still plentiful.

yes but if no one supported buying their fish then they would not exist to even attempt to breed potters angels.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota potters angelfish.....please??

I saw their potters in videos they posted of other fish. They showing ya some fish but then the potters swim Into view and you get real close to the computer screen….so ya. It is a future possibility.

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since you chose not to answer my question, I guess the answer to my question is “no”. Thanks. BTW. Raising a wild-caught juvenile Regal is much easier than most people believe. You Just have to know what and how to feed them.

And anyone who comes over to your house to see said Regal or view it on social media won't know it from Adam. That is the sad truth. But if it makes "you" feel better more power to you.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but if no one supported buying their fish then they would not exist to even attempt to breed potters angels.

Unfortunately you really can't reason with some people.

Personally speaking I wish all wild caught was stopped to include coral collection. Captive raised, bred, and aquaculture only. We would be so much better off as a hobby.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And anyone who comes over to your house to see said Regal or view it on social media won't know it from Adam. That is the sad truth. But if it makes "you" feel better more power to you.
A photo of the wild caught yellow-belly Regal that I have in my tank for three years is on this thread. Every place that photo has appeared has been complimented with likes and loves. So I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Last edited:

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right. I thought you had asked about the percentage of F2 misbared but that was another poster. I just didn't like your comment that I perceived to be overly critical for no real reason. My bad! Have a nice day.

*Edit -sorry if I was overly defensive. Just probably my appreciation for Biota. They have really taken care of me. For example, they replaced a mandarin I lost in a tank move and gave me a discount on the replacement weeks/months later even though it was my own negligence that resulted in the loss. I don't know many retailers, wholesalers, breeders, or sellers of wildcaught fish that would do that for a customer. A really top notch place in my opinion.
No problem. Nothing wrong with supporting a retailer/seller who has been fair with you.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A photo of the yellow belly wild caught Regal that I have in my tank for three years is on this thread. Every place that photo has appeared has been complimented with the likes and loves. So I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Of course it will get likes and what not - it is a fish forum and a pretty fish. You are not going to get a down vote or dislike or left swipe because of its color. The point is that no one other than you two, or maybe a few others, may know a difference between specimens and region. Most everyone else will only care or know it as a regal / Pygoplites diacanthus (unless they are purchasing specific).

Obviously it matters to you.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it will get likes and what not - it is a fish forum and a pretty fish. You are not going to get a down vote or dislike or left swipe because of its color. The point is that no one other than you two, or maybe a few others, may know a difference between specimens and region. Most everyone else will only care or know it as a regal / Pygoplites diacanthus (unless they are purchasing specific).

Obviously it matters to you.
I’m still having a hard time grasping what exactly is your point. Please explain how that’s relevant to this conversation. I’m sure everyone who posts on this board knows that they’re posting for other aquarists with similar interests.

Edit: Oh I see. Your argument is that because people who don’t care about our hobby don’t know the difference between a regal angel and a majestic angel, that makes our pursuit of a specific type of fish unimportant. Gotcha

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters Angel is a unique situation because they are virtually exclusive to the Hawaiian Islands. Hawaii has been virtually shut down due to the virus.
I’ve never heard anything about the Hawaiian ban, being caused by the virus.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but the Hawaii ban on the collection of ornamental fish for the aquarium trade has absolutely nothing to do with COVID lockdowns.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but the Hawaii ban on the collection of ornamental fish for the aquarium trade has absolutely nothing to do with COVID lockdowns.
I was assuming. Shame on me. Here’s what I found when I researched a little more:

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was assuming. Shame on me. Here’s what I found when I researched a little more

Right on the money. Was big news when it happened.

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still having a hard time grasping what exactly is your point. Please explain how that’s relevant to this conversation. I’m sure everyone who posts on this board knows that they’re posting for other aquarists with similar interests.

Edit: Oh I see. Your argument is that because people who don’t care about our hobby don’t know the difference between a regal angel and a majestic angel, that makes our pursuit of a specific type of fish unimportant. Gotcha
They're trying so say that your attitude towards the value of these captive-bred fish based on the color of their bellies is relatively irrelevant to the impact that the captive-breeding itself has on the industry. Sure, it would be great if we could guarantee that these fish were all the more appealing yellow-bellied variety, but as it stands taking the stance that this breakthrough is anything less than stellar just makes it look like you're nitpicking

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're trying so say that your attitude towards the value of these captive-bred fish based on the color of their bellies is relatively irrelevant to the impact that the captive-breeding itself has on the industry. Sure, it would be great if we could guarantee that these fish were all the more appealing yellow-bellied variety, but as it stands taking the stance that this breakthrough is anything less than stellar just makes it look like you're nitpicking
I wouldn’t call it nitpicking. Poor planning on their part is probably more like it. They should’ve segregated the various subspecies and marketed them accordingly. I guarantee you, many more people think this is a better idea than just lumping all the various subspecies together. If you go to any reputable dealer’s website, you’ll see that the price discrepancy between yellow bellied and gray belly Regals is significant.

Last edited:

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t call it nitpicking. Poor planning on their part is probably more like it. They should’ve segregated the various subspecies and marketed them accordingly. I guarantee you, many more people think this is a better idea than just lumping all the various subspecies together.
I'm totally in agreeance that this would be a great idea. And I understand that your point is a valid critique of this batch of fish- but the way you expressed the idea and subsequent criticism really just makes it seem like a nitpick. The fact that we even have captive bred regals in the first place is cause for excitement, especially given the poor track record they have in captivity. Refining the program to produce certain subspecies will most likely be implemented with time, I think the folks at biota know enough about retail fish sales to tailor the program to consumer demand in the future.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally in agreeance that this would be a great idea. And I understand that your point is a valid critique of this batch of fish- but the way you expressed the idea and subsequent criticism really just makes it seem like a nitpick. The fact that we even have captive bred regals in the first place is cause for excitement, especially given the poor track record they have in captivity. Refining the program to produce certain subspecies will most likely be implemented with time, I think the folks at biota know enough about retail fish sales to tailor the program to consumer demand in the future.
That’s what I was trying to ascertain when I asked the Biota representative if that was their future plans. He chose to ignore me. In any case, you can buy a gray belly 2 1/2 to 3 inch Regal at bluezooaquatics with a 7-day guarantee for $199.99. That same size fish in a yellow belly Regal will cost you $349.99. To some people that $150 difference may not mean anything. To most people, I would venture to say that it does. It certainly does to me.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back