Biota regal angel, yes or no?

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild caught Yellow belly Regal in my possession for three years. Blue stripes and border are much more prevalent under the blue LEDs, but the photographs come out murky

AD4089F1-BDED-466B-B61E-CF0C0922E848.jpeg

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - here is the info from Biota - this is what they are eating there. As noted above you can always email them for clarity and they will let you know what they are feeding exactly. This also may help with those discussing looks.

I understand the price is high but please remember the amount of effort that breeders are going through to provide these animals. It isn't just provide it is all the IP getting them spawning, or collecting pairs, or collecting things that float to grow, to working with locals and laws and processes to bring these to us. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have the yellow tang.

1647403192297.png
Sorry Biota or Bali A regals are sold out.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to add something here that seems to be overlooked with these captive bred Regals. There’s no way to really know when they’re so small whether you’re getting a gray belly or a yellow belly, which is much more attractive, desirable and expensive. At that size, they’re all yellow belly. You might be better off buying a 2 to 3 inch yellow belly for the $300 and know what you’re getting. Just a thought.
This is very interesting - Also why I think I’ll avoid CB regals for a while (I’d rather have a CB regal for 50-80 and see it turn out to be a Grey instead of have a 100-400 and watch it become a grey).

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha so true, seeing lightening maroon price wen from $800 to $50 over the last 4 years
I'm not sure how true this would be for anything that isn't a clownfish. Anyone can pick up a pair of clowns and breed them but there's only a very select few people and facilities in the world capable of breeding angelfish and tang.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how true this would be for anything that isn't a clownfish. Anyone can pick up a pair of clowns and breed them but there's only a very select few people and facilities in the world capable of breeding angelfish and tang.

Same old hobbyist problem to not see the forest for the trees :(

Keep up the great work Biota!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been happening quite a lot recently, not just with CB fish but WC fish. The Achilles over here used to be £700-£1000 but now it’s dropping and last I saw one was for £400. I think the Hawaiian ban did more good than bad as prices for certain fish that used to be seen as rare are dropping. Yes that does mean if Hawaii ever release the ban, the rarer fish may be rising in price as the Hawaiian fish would be sought after.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any plans in the works for you folks to segregate the various subspecies of Regal Angels? Specifically, the Red Sea subspecies, the Indian Ocean subspecies, and the Pacific Ocean subspecies. I’m sure you’re aware that each individual subspecies commands a different price point. It might be beneficial for your top and bottom lines to do so.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any plans in the works for you folks to segregate the various subspecies of Regal Angels? Specifically, the Red Sea subspecies, the Indian Ocean subspecies, and the Pacific Ocean subspecies. I’m sure you’re aware that each individual subspecies commands a different price point. It might be beneficial for your top and bottom lines to do so.
+1 to this, I’d personally not really spend quite so much money on a regal to end up with a Grey belly. And I’m sure many others out there would too. Although, I’d love to grab an Indonesian to watch it grow and form the grey belly however at the price they are currently I don’t really think I’d risk that as if I had to rehome it I don’t think anyone would spend that much on one.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been happening quite a lot recently, not just with CB fish but WC fish. The Achilles over here used to be £700-£1000 but now it’s dropping and last I saw one was for £400. I think the Hawaiian ban did more good than bad as prices for certain fish that used to be seen as rare are dropping. Yes that does mean if Hawaii ever release the ban, the rarer fish may be rising in price as the Hawaiian fish would be sought after.
This is more because of the overlapping distribution on the Achilles tang. When Hawaii was open the collectors were paid more than the collectors in the bulk of Oceana bringing the pricing down. This may be a reflection of quality as well because if anything most pricing should be increasing because how crazy freight and space on flights has gotten.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this, I’d personally not really spend quite so much money on a regal to end up with a Grey belly. And I’m sure many others out there would too. Although, I’d love to grab an Indonesian to watch it grow and form the grey belly however at the price they are currently I don’t really think I’d risk that as if I had to rehome it I don’t think anyone would spend that much on one.
The debate is still up on whether these are yellow belly or grey belly as well. These are bred from F1 offspring where the F0 were collected from Sumatra which has overlap of both the yellow and grey bellies. So it's likely they have grey genes in the offspring. The real important aspect here is historically regal angelfish have been a nightmare to try to keep alive from the wild and these regals do incredibly well in aquariums.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The debate is still up on whether these are yellow belly or grey belly as well. These are bred from F1 offspring where the F0 were collected from Sumatra which has overlap of both the yellow and grey bellies. So it's likely they have grey genes in the offspring. The real important aspect here is historically regal angelfish have been a nightmare to try to keep alive from the wild and these regals do incredibly well in aquariums.
Thx. You guys do terrrific work which will benefit the hobby for decades to come.

On the regal, Some will hesitate paying the current pricing without knowing it was the much sort after and higher priced yellow belly. For the current pricing would hope to get the advantage of hardiness and coloration. But then again seem to have little trouble selling out rather quickly!

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the incidence of misbar and scribbled patterns among these F2 juveniles? And how many just have “normal” bars?
It's more that many fish can be misbarred in their juvenile stages but I hesitate to sell any as true "misbars" because it's highly likely that they'll become normal bars as they grow older. I've honored a few requests for some of the most crazy stripes on our first batch but I always let the customer know it can change significantly as they grow older.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more that many fish can be misbarred in their juvenile stages but I hesitate to sell any as true "misbars" because it's highly likely that they'll become normal bars as they grow older. I've honored a few requests for some of the most crazy stripes on our first batch but I always let the customer know it can change significantly as they grow older.
So since you chose not to answer my question, I guess the answer to my question is “no”. Thanks. BTW. Raising a wild-caught juvenile Regal is much easier than most people believe. You Just have to know what and how to feed them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive breeding is likely necessary for the continuation of this hobby on a long enough time line.

If people complain and won’t buy fish then there won’t be those willing to breed them.

Luckily there does seem to be demand for these fish… more than supply even.

Like if biota successfully breeds their potters angels and starts selling juvis… won’t people be happy as we don’t have access to the wild ones anymore? Will people complain about that?

If regals were no longer able to be imported. Wouldn’t you be happy they are available captive?

People spend way more on coral with stupid names that is easily grown or chopped up. Fish are arguably way more difficult.

My tank simply isn’t big enough for a regal so I will just enjoy others photos. Now a multibar would fit If they would only come in stock!

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since you chose not to answer my question, I guess the answer to my question is “no”. Thanks. BTW. Raising a wild-caught juvenile Regal is much easier than most people believe. You Just have to know what and how to feed them.

This made me laugh You didn't even ask a yes or no question... :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Captive bred regal angels are a huge asset to the hobby. Thank you Biota! I know I will be looking to purchase a pair after my move this summer.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive breeding is likely necessary for the continuation of this hobby on a long enough time line.

If people complain and won’t buy fish then there won’t be those willing to breed them.

Luckily there does seem to be demand for these fish… more than supply even.

Like if biota successfully breeds their potters angels and starts selling juvis… won’t people be happy as we don’t have access to the wild ones anymore? Will people complain about that?

If regals were no longer able to be imported. Wouldn’t you be happy they are available captive?

People spend way more on coral with stupid names that is easily grown or chopped up. Fish are arguably way more difficult.

My tank simply isn’t big enough for a regal so I will just enjoy others photos. Now a multibar would fit If they would only come in stock!
Potters Angel is a unique situation because they are virtually exclusive to the Hawaiian Islands. Hawaii has been virtually shut down due to the virus. As has Australia. Fish from other areas that are not shut down are still plentiful.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 56 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back