Biota Yellow Tang review

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great business model @Biota_Marine. Nothing like taking advantage of people. Capitalism is one thing but that's a joke
@9975
I wish I can put a thump's down on this comment.
If it is easy to raise tangs, every Joe, Linda and Harry reefers would raise them (like clowns) and the price of the tang will plummets like the Lighting Maroon.
I would argue that to set the price of a captive bred fish at around the wild caught specimens is smart business. That is Capitalism, and that is what will drive the decision of breeders spend the resources in developing new species breeding. There are certainly several angels for sale where the price of a captive bred small fish is 10,000.00 US dollars. There are a lot of fish species that are able to be produce with captive bred, but not commercial viable. @Biota_Marine owner and worker got to make a good living so they can send their kids to college too.

If you don't have the money then you can't have diamond. Get fake ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tfeeken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update:

Fast little buggers, tough to catch without getting blurry. We are now a week into QT with his partner in algae eating crime, a Tomini Tang. Cohabitating well, both are eating constantly, no scraps left on the bottom of the tank either. Neither have a desire to eat nori from a clip or rubber banded to a rock or dark pvc elbow in the tank but I'm sure they'll come around once they figure it out.

2021-01-26_11-43-23.png

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update:

Fast little buggers, tough to catch without getting blurry. We are now a week into QT with his partner in algae eating crime, a Tomini Tang. Cohabitating well, both are eating constantly, no scraps left on the bottom of the tank either. Neither have a desire to eat nori from a clip or rubber banded to a rock or dark pvc elbow in the tank but I'm sure they'll come around once they figure it out.

2021-01-26_11-43-23.png
I would love to have this thread update so we all can see how the color change and if there is ant deformities of the fish. Love your little tang

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Biota YT through Live Aquaria back in May. As OP said my YT was very small and when it arrived was nearly translucent. I did notice some HLLE around the eyes, down the nose, and along his side within a couple days. The HLLE was more apparent as he began to color up.

I contacted LA about it with pics and they said "It was somewhat normal for captive bred fish". I did not agree with this and complained some more. They told me they would have never shipped it if they noticed the HLLE and that it must have occurred due to stress in shipping. They ended up giving me 15$ in LA credit.

I have been feeding nori, AminoMega soaked Mysis, and some other healthy foods. He has been growing well and the HLLE is improving, He now only has white areas around his eyes.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Biota fish as other than the improving HLLE it has been very healthy and active. I just hope I can get him to heal completely. Open to any suggestions if anyone has something I should try.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Biota YT through Live Aquaria back in May. As OP said my YT was very small and when it arrived was nearly translucent. I did notice some HLLE around the eyes, down the nose, and along his side within a couple days. The HLLE was more apparent as he began to color up.

I contacted LA about it with pics and they said "It was somewhat normal for captive bred fish". I did not agree with this and complained some more. They told me they would have never shipped it if they noticed the HLLE and that it must have occurred due to stress in shipping. They ended up giving me 15$ in LA credit.

I have been feeding nori, AminoMega soaked Mysis, and some other healthy foods. He has been growing well and the HLLE is improving, He now only has white areas around his eyes.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Biota fish as other than the improving HLLE it has been very healthy and active. I just hope I can get him to heal completely. Open to any suggestions if anyone has something I should try.
i would love to see picture of this tang. Did the color improve as it should as it is getting larger.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would love to see picture of this tang. Did the color improve as it should as it is getting larger.
First photo is after a few days in the tank... second is a week or so ago. I will try to get a better photo tonight if I remember. He has colored up very bright yellow and eats great.

Attachments

• 20200429_190014_3.jpg
    20200429_190014_3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 20201126_135422.jpg
    20201126_135422.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 257

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First photo is after a few days in the tank... second is a week or so ago. I will try to get a better photo tonight if I remember. He has colored up very bright yellow and eats great
Looking pretty good after 8 months ish.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is HLLE. He has had these white areas since arriving but they are slowly improving.
How are the pelvic fins. Are these fins deformed and tiny? I cannot tell from your pictures
Here is my wild caught yellow tang. I find that the pelvic fins often deformed in Tank raise fish
47C93C6C-0381-4B34-BF4A-A9AEFF5471A1.jpeg
0A32F344-360E-44C8-AE33-BF1B12DEE1D2.jpeg

Last edited:

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Price is naturally going to go up but like biota says the demand has gone up exponentially. At least be happy the money is going to something that's going to advance the hobby and save the environment. If you want to, complain about buying a$ 40 1" purple stylo or war coral at a lot of these live sales . That's really who's "giving it to you " . Great job biota !!

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could you show a picture of the HLLE you are referring to?
I'd like to see how severe it looks in the pictures. Thanks in advance!

ohana888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes exactly. When we factor in their lifespan, I would rather pay significantly more upfront for a healthy and clean fish, rather than maybe needing more than one or several attempts to keep that fish.
in time, these tangs will outgrow most residential tanks, and the next scenario will be a flood of larger tangs FS or FT on R2R (if they don't perish first.)

OP
OP
T

tfeeken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick update. Figured I'd give it a shot feeding TDO pellets since I was feeding my other tank. Not sure if the Tomini would have eaten them on his own but the Yellow attacked them and now much less of a concern when traveling when both will eat out of a feeder.

ohana888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LA isn't going anywhere. Kevin has built a awesome business model. and now that Petco owns them, they have lots of funding (since they just had an IPO.) too bad they no longer offer refunds, but still has the best customer service in the hobby.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back