Birds-eye fish view: Do you ever watch your fish from above?

Do you ever watch your fish from above?

• I regularly watch my fish from above.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I occasionally watch my fish from above.

Votes: 108 52.7%
  • I don’t watch my fish from above.

Votes: 50 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Watching our fish can be enjoyable and entertaining. It can also give us a chance to learn more about our fish and to check for any potential health issues. However, for many of us almost all of the fish watching is done through the side panel of the aquarium where we are able to view the side of the fish. Although that is a great vantage point, have you ever taken the time to watch your fish from above? If so, please share if this is something that you find interesting, enjoyable, or informative.

Olys_Tank_FavoriteFish.jpeg

Photo by @Oly’s_Tank

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner3.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top down view is the BEST. When you view the tank from the side you aren't viewing the tank from the direction the light is coming from. The colors we see are from the reflections of light hitting the sides of the corals, and some of the tips.

When you look top down you are getting a view of the corals as they get a view of your lights. All that money you spent to brightly lighting your tank comes from the top down.

I don't care who advertises about wider spreads or better diffusion of light - It's all coming from the top, which means when we are viewing from the sides we are still viewing reflected light at an angle.

This is why lights like the AI Blades have great potential because they get the light all the way out to the front edge of the tank bringing the light closer to the angle your eye.

Depending on your own lighing system, try tilting the existing lights you have. I found this almost 20 years ago that tilting the light towards the back of the tank, and bringing the lights farther forward changed the angle of the light to the eye and therefore more 'direct' light was being reflected by the corals from the side rather than top down. Is this as efficient for spread and par - nope, But does it make the corals look and pop better - in my experience it does.

Even in our new 750g build the front row of LEDS (6 G6 XR30 Pros) are tilted an inch and a half lower on the front edge than the back.

Dave B

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because I would have to stand on a ladder to view from top down. I did however enjoy watching them top down when they were in a stock tank being treated for velvet. It gave a totally new perspective. It was cool at feeding time as they would all turn a little sideways so they could look up at me.

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Watching our fish can be enjoyable and entertaining. It can also give us a chance to learn more about our fish and to check for any potential health issues. However, for many of us almost all of the fish watching is done through the side panel of the aquarium where we are able to view the side of the fish. Although that is a great vantage point, have you ever taken the time to watch your fish from above? If so, please share if this is something that you find interesting, enjoyable, or informative.

Photo by @Oly’s_Tank

TidalGardensBanner3.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

Attachments

• IMG_5040.jpeg
    IMG_5040.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 50

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photo by @Oly’s_Tank

TidalGardensBanner3.jpeg

Every waterchange I watch them from above :)

Cant wait to see these two from above swimming near eachother;
IMG_7246.jpeg

IMG_7245.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s interesting to watch fish from above because it’s not obstructed with glass. It makes me think, “wow, these fish are actually real and in my house.” Lol

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy top down/tide pool viewing of my anemone dominant reef. Turn off the wavemakers for a bit and the colors of the fish, corals, and anemones really pop when viewed from above! One of the priorities of my next tank upgrade will be the viewing experience from above. A nice wide, shallow, and rimless tank!

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 6ft tall and have a rimless tank that tops out around armpit height. I am always looking down at my tank. For the tank to be viewed from the front that means the rim of the tank would need to be at minimum 80" off the ground.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good thing to consider. A lot of coral vendors sell coral you viewed from above. Top down viewing really makes colors pop, so consider that when buying coral. Fish colors also sometimes are completely different to0 down

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rimless cubetank and I enjoy looking top down. Let's me see more things in my tank vs viewing from a side.

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like it's a bit more "personal" with the fish to answer the question. I suppose my shots were geared towards acros.

I like when you look over a tank and see clownfish heads popping up to say hi. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a thread about this the other month!

Here's some shots...

Ryan Cunningham:
1695061544913.png

Therman
1695061560658.png

CivicS14
1695061581023.png

infamousFlip
1695061594986.png

Top down view is my favorite for sure. If anyone doesn't want me using their pic just LMK and I'll take them all down.
Holy Moly! Those are some spectacular reefs! How long have they been cooking! Truly amazing! Well done!

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photo by @Oly’s_Tank

TidalGardensBanner3.jpeg

reminds me of looking in the tide pools on the beach as a child that inspired my love of the ocean and fish to begin with. That’s why one of my tanks is shallow and on a low table. People love walking around it and pointing at the starfish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back