Bitten by the Reef Bug.

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one!
I've been lurking around here for a couple years now looking up questions and answers. I finally decided to jump in and actually set up my reef tank! I've kept planted community aquariums for 15+ years. I started to cycle my reef tank 5/15/2017 and I do not plan on adding anything to my tank until Reef-a-Palooza NY June 25th! (if water parameters are all 0). I'll start with a firefish, a couple of corals then wait a month before adding anything else. CUC goes in after I have enough algae to feed them. I've debated about getting a "robot" fish from amazon to put in my tank to keep my patience in check lol.

A few questions:
1) What do you guys suggest as a couple of first corals?
2) Do you suggest a purple firefish or red firefish as a first fish?
3) Any advice about going to reef-a-palooza-NY?
4) Any Issues with my plans below?

Thank you kindly!
Peeptoad

Plans for livestock:
purple or red firefish
2 photon clownfish
1 cleaner skunk shrimp

Plans for CUC
2- hermit crabs
4- dwarf ceirth snails
2-nernites snails
2-trochus snails
1-nassarius snails

Plans for Corals:
Zoas (I'm in LOVE with the dragon eyes!)
Toadstool
Duncan
Hammer
Frogspawn
Bubble
Mushroom
Ricordea
Maybe a Colt or Kenya
Maybe a Torch

Equipment:
Glass lid (a few of my FW fish are jumpers... no fish jerky please!)
20g long (not drilled- DIY king PVP overflow)
30lbs reef cleaner dry rock
20lbs "live" (not really) bagged sand
(2) 425 hydro korilla powerheads
Rio plus 1400 Aqua pump (return)
Current orbit led Light 24-36"
100 W heater
10g sump - filter floss in baffle

Water: (still cycling- raw shrimp method + bottled bacteria, Lights off till ammonia/nitrite hit 0)
SG-1.025 (made with RO water, IO reef crystals)
KH- 8dkh
Temp- 78*F
pH- 8.0 (fluctuates between 7.8-8.2)
NH3 - 0.5 (topped off at 4.0ppm 5/19/2017)
NO2 -2.0
NO3- 5.0-10 (color matching is a shade of yellowish/orange! API...)

Bluelight.jpg
Daylight.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one!
I've been lurking around here for a couple years now looking up questions and answers. I finally decided to jump in and actually set up my reef tank! I've kept planted community aquariums for 15+ years. I started to cycle my reef tank 5/15/2017 and I do not plan on adding anything to my tank until Reef-a-Palooza NY June 25th! (if water parameters are all 0). I'll start with a firefish, a couple of corals then wait a month before adding anything else. CUC goes in after I have enough algae to feed them. I've debated about getting a "robot" fish from amazon to put in my tank to keep my patience in check lol.

A few questions:
1) What do you guys suggest as a couple of first corals?
2) Do you suggest a purple firefish or red firefish as a first fish?
3) Any advice about going to reef-a-palooza-NY?
4) Any Issues with my plans below?

Hi and welcome. :)

All of your intended corals look good. Remember that Kenya Tree, Colt corals can quickly become invasive.
Either Fire Fish choice is fine, they are a passive fish that will hide until comfortable and best added first.
Plans look great as does the tank.

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Your planning is actually perfect I'd say. Planned coral livestock is relatively easy.

You'll enjoy Reefapalooza alot! Go both days if you can. Listen to the speakers too.

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome. :)

All of your intended corals look good. Remember that Kenya Tree, Colt corals can quickly become invasive.
Either Fire Fish choice is fine, they are a passive fish that will hide until comfortable and best added first.
Plans look great as does the tank.

I love the fluffy look of them, I was debating about Xenia or GSP but didn't want them to overtake my tank. Does the Kenya and Colt grow just as fast? Could it be controlled by fragging?

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Your planning is actually perfect I'd say. Planned coral livestock is relatively easy.

You'll enjoy Reefapalooza alot! Go both days if you can. Listen to the speakers too.
Thanks for the kind words! I've slowly over 2 years planned this out and gathered the equipment. I took off monday after reef-a-palooza to keep an eye on the new livestock. I can only go for one day. I was thinking to go on Sunday to catch the deals. I would love to go for both days :)

OP
OP
Peeptoad

Peeptoad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is an exciting day! TANK IS CYCLED and I'm starting to get the diatom bloom!!!!

Question: Should I let the tank do it's thing for another week to see if the anaerobic bacteria will drop the NO3 or should I just do the 50% water change?

SG-1.025 (made with RO water, IO reef crystals)
KH- 8dkh
Temp- 78*F
pH- 8.0 (fluctuates between 7.8-8.2)
NH3 -0
NO2 -0
NO3- 10

Thank you much!

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef @Peeptoad !* I would suggest adding a hammer,frogspawn and/or torch coral last.You may want to avoid zenia,GSP,Kenya and colt corals all altogether.You could try keeping these in line with frequent fragging.However you will need a place to put the frags while you find new homes for them.Easier said than done sometimes.In addition the soft corals will release toxins in the water when cut.You will want to be prepared to do a water change and add activated carbon if necessary.Best of luck with your new aquarium!

1472622406048.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back